This Healthy Shrimp Scampi features all the rich garlic flavor and creamy texture of traditional shrimp scampi in a low-carb, keto-friendly recipe that’s so easy to make! Paired with zucchini noodles, it’s quick, delicious, and perfect for every occasion. Serve it on its own or with your favorite sides!
What Is Healthy Shrimp Scampi?
Healthy shrimp scampi is simply a lighter take on classic comfort food. Made with all the same garlic flavor and rich sauce you know and love, we serve it over zucchini noodles for a keto take on a crowd-pleasing dish. It’s high in protein, super cheesy, and loaded with flavor! The best part is this healthier shrimp scampi is so tasty your kids won’t even realize they’re eating their veggies.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and simple, it bakes in a single dish in less than 15 minutes.
- Healthier than standard recipes, this shrimp scampi is high-protein, low-carb, and full of healthy fats to keep you full.
- Healthy shrimp scampi makes a large batch and can easily be doubled, making it perfect for feeding a crowd.
- Versatile and customizable, you can pair this shrimp over any noodles you hav on hand, and serve it with all your favorite sides for the ultimate crowd-pleasing comfort food.
Ingredients You’ll Need
If you’ve ever made standard shrimp scampi, you’ll recognize a lot of the ingredients we used for this healthier shrimp scampi recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Shrimp – We recommend using large shrimp. Just make sure they are peeled and deveined.
- Shallot and Garlic – These aromatics add a bold, savory flavor to the dish.
- Butter – We suggest using unsalted butter so as to add a rich flavor to the scampi without overwhelming the dish.
- Lemon – Both lemon juice and lemon zest are used to lighten up the flavor of some of the heavy fats.
- Broth – We use seafood broth, but any low-sodium broth such as chicken or veggie broth will do.
- Seasonings – A combination of salt, paprika, pepper, red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley add a savory flavor and just a hint of spice.
- Zucchini – Use a spiralizer or buy pre-made zucchini noodles for a low-carb pasta alternative.
- Heavy Cream – This forms the base of the sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese – Plenty of cheese is added in and on top of the dish for a recipe no one can resist!
How to Make Healthy Shrimp Scampi
It might look like it took hours in the kitchen, but you’re not going to believe how easy this healthier shrimp scampi recipe is to make! Just follow the instructions below.
- Combine the Ingredients. Add the shrimp, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and broth to a baking dish.
- Add the Zoodles. Layer the zoodles (zucchini noodles) on top. Do NOT stir!
- Bake. Place the dish in the oven until the shrimp are opaque and no longer pink.
- Top. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Garnish. Add extra Parmesan and parsley, and dig in!
Thanks to the nutrients in zucchini, this healthy shrimp scampi is a complete meal on its own. However, feel free to serve it with your favorite sides, too! Some of our favorite pairings include:
- The Best Greek Salad
- Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Olive Cheese Bread
- Egyptian Cucumber & Tomato Salad
This healthy shrimp scampi is best served right away while it’s still warm. However, if you happen to have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. Reheat your leftovers in a saucepan over medium heat just until warm. Be careful not to overcook! Otherwise, your shrimp will become rubbery.
Healthy Shrimp Scampi Common Questions
We do not recommend freezing this healthier shrimp scampi as the shrimp are likely to become rubbery, and the dairy does not thaw well.
We remove the tale for easy eating, but if preferred, you can leave them on.
Sure! However, you’ll need to bake the dish longer to ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
You’ll know your shrimp is done when it is opaque in color and tender to the touch.
More Shrimp Recipes
Looking for more easy shrimp recipes? Try out some of our favorites below!
- One Pot Cajun Pasta
- One Pot Pesto Pasta
- Shrimp Bake in Tomato Sauce
- Blackened Shrimp with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Healthy Shrimp Scampi
- 1 pound large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 small shallot (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes + more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper + more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup seafood broth or choice of broth
- 1 large (~3 ounces zucchini, spiralized)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley + more for garnish
- Optional Garnish: Parmesan cheese and parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized baking dish, combine the shrimp, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, butter, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, paprika, and broth.
- Top with zoodles. Do not stir!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the shrimp is fully cooked and no longer pink.
- Add the heavy cream, cheese, and parsley. Stir well.
- Garnish with more parsley and Parmesan cheese!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.