Inspired by Southern pasta dishes, this One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta boasts warm spices, fresh veggies, and a protein duo of shrimp and sausage. But hold on – it gets even better! Combined with squid ink pasta and a generous sprinkle of cheese, this dish is ready in 15 minutes or less, making it the epitome of quick and easy comfort food. It’s a lightened-up twist on a classic that couldn’t be simpler to whip up. Serve it solo or with your favorite appetizers for a filling family-friendly meal!
Table of Contents
Is there anything better than a bowl of warm, creamy pasta? Whether you’re indulging in Creamy Parmesan Spinach Orzo Pasta, Creamy Pesto Pasta, or Creamy Linguine Shrimp Alfredo, it always hits the spot! However, sometimes we want something a little on the lighter side.
That doesn’t mean you have to give up all the goodness of the creamy sauces, though! Instead, we found a way to lighten it up with tons of nutrients, fiber, and protein thanks to this creamy Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta. It’s got all the taste and texture you look for in a pasta recipe so you can treat yourself and feel good about what you’re eating. It’s a win-win!
Why You’ll Love Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
- It cooks in 15 minutes or less in just one pot.
- It’s loaded with fiber, nutrients, and protein to keep you full.
- The warm spices and savory cheese make this pasta extra comforting.
- One batch makes enough to feed a crowd.
- You can serve it on its own or pair it with all your favorite sides and appetizers.
What You’ll Need
We’ve taken the classics and given them a nutritious twist with this Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta. Here’s your grocery list for this flavor-packed meal:
- Spaghetti – We use squid ink
spaghettito impart a briny, salty flavor into the dish.
- Veggies – Tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, and garlic are used for a bright color, nutrients, and fiber. They also help enhance the taste of the dish with savory pungent and sweet flavors.
- Shrimp – We like to use large shrimp, but any size will do. Just make sure they’re fully cooked!
- Sausage – We love the smokey, spicy flavor of chicken sausage, but andouille or kielbasa sausage would taste great, too.
- Broth – Chicken or vegetable broth is included to cook the pasta, infusing extra flavor into the noodles. Whichever you choose, we recommend opting for low-sodium varieties to avoid overpowering the dish.
- Seasonings – Use a store-bought or homemade cajun seasoning for the warm, spicy flavor that sets this Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta apart from other pasta recipes. And don’t forget to include a pinch of salt and pepper, too!
- Heavy Cream – Used to form the base of the sauce, creating the rich flavor and silky texture we love.
- Cheese – Parmesan cheese is stirred into the mixture for a rich, slightly nutty taste.
- Cilantro – The freshness cuts through some of the heaviness of the fats for a well-rounded dish.
How to Make One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
In true one-pot pasta fashion, this is the kind of recipe that proves you don’t need a dozen pots and pans to create a dish with incredible flavor. This cajun shrimp and sausage pasta recipe is unbelievably easy to make — just toss all those vibrant ingredients into one pot, let the flavors meld, and in no time, you’ve got a Cajun masterpiece ready to be devoured!
- Combine the Ingredients. In a large, deep Dutch oven, add the pasta, tomatoes, onion, peppers, broth, garlic, and seasonings, stirring to combine.
- Boil. Cover the pot, and bring the ingredients to a boil. Cook over medium heat until the pasta is al-dente, stirring halfway through.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. Stir in the remaining ingredients until everything is well-combined. Then, add extra Parmesan shavings, and serve your pasta while it’s warm!
- Add More Greens. If you want to add even more nutrients to this cajun shrimp and sausage pasta dish, stir in baby spinach at the end of cooking.
- Switch Up the Protein. If preferred, you can swap out the shrimp and sausage for cooked chicken instead.
- Make It Extra Spicy. If you want to increase the heat, add a dash of red pepper flakes or hot sauce.
- Use a Different Pasta. Feel free to use regular
spaghettinoodles or any pasta shape you like best.
Common Questions About Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
This pasta is best served right away while it’s still warm. However, if you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, warm leftovers on the skillet or in the microwave, adding an extra splash of broth as needed to freshen them back up.
We wouldn’t call this recipe spicy exactly, but it does have a warm flavor. You can easily adjust the spices and ingredients to suit your flavor preferences, making it more or less spicy.
More One-Pot Pasta Recipes
If you’re hungry for more easy, fuss-free meals, we’ve got your back. Check out these super simple one-pot wonders:
- One-Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
Spaghettiwith Ground Beef
- One-Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
- One-Pot Healthy
One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta Recipe
- 16 ounces squid ink spaghetti uncooked and split in half
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups bell peppers chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- Optional: 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 pound shrimp cooked
- 3 chicken sausages cooked
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Optional: 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large, deep Dutch oven, add the uncooked pasta, tomatoes, onion, peppers, broth, garlic, Cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir combine.16 ounces squid ink spaghetti, 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, 1 small onion, 2 cups bell peppers, 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, 3 cloves garlic, 2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning, Optional: 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring the ingredients to a boil over high heat. Then, cover, and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente, stirring halfway through.
- Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese, shrimp, sausage, cilantro, and heavy cream until well combined.1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 pound shrimp, 3 chicken sausages, 1 cup fresh cilantro, 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese shavings, if desired. Serve warm!Optional: 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.