Herbaceous and full of flavor, this One Pot Creamy Pesto Pasta is the ultimate weeknight comfort food! Made in one pot, it’s quick, nutritious, and ready in minutes. Serve it on its own as a filling vegetarian meal, or pair it with your favorite protein for a recipe everyone will enjoy!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love Creamy Pesto Pasta
If you know us, you know we’re huge fans of one pot pasta recipes. They’re quick, easy, and always delicious. We have tons of variations you can find here, but our latest obsession is this creamy pesto pasta recipe! It’s:
- Easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Full of refreshing, herbaceous flavor.
- Absolutely loaded with vegetables.
- Great for meal prep, customizable, and budget-friendly.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Thanks to the abundance of vegetables, this creamy pesto pasta recipe leaves you feeling full and satisfied without weighing you down. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pasta – We use rotini for this recipe. Make sure it’s uncooked!
- Olive Oil – This is used to sauté the veggies, adding healthy fats and enhancing their flavor.
- Vegetables – Onion, asparagus, zucchini, frozen green peas, and garlic combine to create the best nutrient-rich comfort food.
- Broth – We recommend low-sodium varieties. Both chicken and vegetable broth works great!
- Herbs and Spices – There’s no shortage of flavor here! You’ll need crushed red pepper, dried oregano, sea salt, and black pepper for a bold savory taste.
- Pesto – You can use a store-bought option, but we like to create our own!
- Heavy Cream – This is the key to creating the rich flavor and silky texture we love about this dish.
- Parmesan Cheese – Everything tastes better with cheese!
- Garnish – Add fresh oregano or basil on top for extra flavor and a pop of color.
We kept this creamy pesto pasta vegetarian to fit a variety of needs. However, feel free to mix in your favorite ingredients to bulk it up and make it your own. For instance, some popular additions include:
How to Make One Pot Creamy Pesto Pasta
You’re not going to believe how quick this dish is to make or that it’s even easier to clean up!
- Sauté. Heat the oil in a large, deep dutch oven, and sauté the onions until they’re fragrant. Add in the garlic.
- Combine the Ingredients. Once the garlic is fragrant, add the rest of the veggies, uncooked pasta, broth, and seasonings.
- Boil. Stir to combine, and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, and cook until the pasta and veggies are tender, stirring halfway through.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. Stir in the pesto, peas, Parmesan, and cream. Garnish, and serve warm!
How to Store and Reheat
This creamy pesto pasta is a great
Refrigerator: Once cooked and fully cooled, leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Store your pasta in the freezer for up to 6 months!
To Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, let your pasta thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it up in 30-second intervals in the microwave. Or, add it back to a pot on the stove over medium heat! If your pasta seems a little dry, stir in an extra splash of broth or cream to freshen it back up!
Creamy Pesto Pasta Common Questions
We prefer rotini, but any spiral-shaped pasta will do! The twisted shapes help the sauce cling to the noodles, guaranteeing every bite is bursting with flavor.
Sure! Just replace the rotini with your favorite gluten-free pasta instead.
More Great One Pot Pasta Recipes
Can’t get enough one pot pasta in your life? We’ve got you covered with even more delicious recipes!
- One Pot Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- One Pot Spinach and Feta Pasta
- One Pot Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta
- One Pot Spinach and Artichoke Pasta
One Pot Creamy Pesto Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces dry rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup asparagus chopped
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 4 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper + more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt + more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup pesto homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Optional: fresh oregano or basil for garnish
- In a large, deep dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic, and stir just until fragrant. Add in the uncooked pasta, asparagus, zucchini, broth, crushed red pepper, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil. Cover, and cook on medium heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove the lid, and stir in the pesto, peas, Parmesan cheese, and heavy cream until well combined.
- Garnish fresh oregano or basil, and serve warm.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.