Ready in less than 30 minutes, this Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe is bursting with flavor for an easy weeknight recipe that’s so simple to make. Serve it with all your favorite sides for a healthy dinner you can feel good about!
Why You’ll Love this Pesto Chicken Recipe
We can never turn down a good chicken recipe. Crowd-pleasing and delicious, they’re seriously lifesavers when it comes to dinners the whole family will eat. With countless recipes like Chicken and Broccoli Rice, Pizza Baked Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, and so much more, we have endless options we cycle through. However, this Baked Pesto Chicken recipe is one meal we always come back to! It’s:
- Made with just 9 staple ingredients.
- Prepared in one dish.
- Baked in 25 minutes.
- Low-carb and high-protein.
- Perfectly tasty with all your favorite sides!
What Is Pesto?
Originating in Genoa, Italy, pesto is a type of bright green sauce used for pasta, chicken, vegetables, and more. comes from the Genoese verb “pestare.” Translated, it means, “to crush or pound.” The recipe has been around for hundreds of years and exists in countless variations. Traditionally, it is made with crushed garlic, pine nuts, salt, basil leaves, and cheese such as Parmigiano-Reggiano. These ingredients are crushed together in a mortar and pestle until a smooth sauce is formed. However, today, most people just use a food processor. No matter how you combine the ingredients, pesto is always good!
Ingredients You’ll Need
There are just a few simple ingredients you’ll need to have on hand! Be sure to read the recipe card below for the exact measurements.
- Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts work the best to absorb the rest of the flavors and provide the most protein.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Due to the fact that there are so few ingredients, using a high-quality olive oil truly makes a difference in the taste of your pesto chicken recipe.
- Seasonings – We included salt, black pepper, paprika, and oregano, but feel free to experiment and included what you like best. An Italian blend would work well to condense the list!
- Pesto – To save a bit of time, pick up your favorite pesto from the store. Or, make your own with this simple recipe!
- Tomato – Use whatever tomatoes you have on hand. We used beefsteak tomatoes for easy topping. However, grape or cherry are excellent for a slightly sweeter flavor.
- Cheese – We love using fresh Mozzarella, but Parmesan or even goat cheese are super tasty, too.
How to Make a Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe
In just 5 steps and less than 30 minutes, you’ll have dinner on the table with this scrumptious recipe. Take a look at an overview of the instructions below, but don’t forget to scroll to the bottom for complete details.
- Preheat your oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Add the seasoned chicken to a baking dish.
- Top with pesto and olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
Can I Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes! Leftovers are great to store in the fridge for easy
Then, just warm leftovers in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven when you’re ready to eat.
Can I Freeze Pest Chicken?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen both cooked and uncooked and makes for a great freezer meal option.
To Store Cooked – Let your chicken cool, and store it in an airtight container or sealable bag for up to 1 month.
To Store Uncooked – Combine all of the ingredients, and store them in a sealable bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This baked pesto chicken is incredibly served over pasta, rice, or even cauliflower rice. However, it also pairs well with potatoes, side salads, and veggies. Some of our favorite ways to serve it are with:
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for more family-friendly recipes? Try out some of these chicken dinners!
- Sweet, spicy, and loaded with veggies, this Asian Chicken Bowl is a healthy
meal preprecipe that’s versatile for all your needs.
- Smothered with a rich, creamy sauce, this Herb Chicken is comfort food recipe no one can resist.
- Juicy and flavorful, this Roasted Chicken with Vegetables is a complete dinner ready in just an hour.
- Made with minimal dishes and satisfying to the whole family, meals don’t get better than this One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rotini!
Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts pounded thin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 Tablespoons prepared pesto more or less to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a baking dish. Sprinkle half of the seasonings on each side.4 chicken breasts, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons paprika, 2 teaspoons oregano
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of pesto on each chicken breat. Drizzle olive oil on top.4 Tablespoons prepared pesto, 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Top with tomato slices and Mozzarella cheese.1 large tomato, 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.