Hold the phone, pizza enthusiasts! We’re about to drop the mic on your taste buds with this Low Carb Pizza Chicken Recipe. It’s like your favorite pepperoni pizza, but with a wallet-friendly, low-carb twist. Whip it up in a hot minute, and pair it with your go-to side dishes for a comforting feast any night of the week.
Table of Contents
What Is Pizza Chicken?
If you’ve never had it, pizza chicken is exactly what it sounds like it would be! Loaded with hearty marinara sauce, zesty pepperonis, and melty cheese, it’s simply a low-carb chicken recipe that’s topped with all of the ingredients used in pepperoni pizza. A healthy dinner the whole family can agree on, it’s basically what dinner dreams are made of. Even better, it’s easily customized, perfect for making ahead of time, and is ready in less than an hour!
Ingredients You’ll Need for the Best Low Carb Chicken Recipe
Think of all the toppings you would put on a pizza, replace the crust with chicken, and you’ll have what you need!
- Chicken – A great source of lean protein, breasts easily adopt the flavors of the rest of the ingredients, but chicken thighs can be used, too.
- Marinara Sauce – To keep this pizza chicken recipe super quick, we use store-bought marinara sauce. However, you could also make your own with a recipe like this!
- Tomato Slices – These add extra flavor and a boost of vitamins and nutrients.
- Seasonings – Replicating the taste of pizza, we include oregano, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Pepperoni – Find pre-made pepperoni slices in the pizza section of your local grocery store!
- Mozzarella Cheese – Fresh mozzarella is key to creating the gooiest, most decadent cheesy texture.
How to Make Baked Pizza Chicken
Featuring all the flavor of chicken you love but half the work, this pizza chicken comes together in one dish for an easy baked chicken dinner!
- Preheat the oven.
- Season the chicken, and add it to a baking dish.
- Smooth marinara sauce on each side of the chicken breasts, and layer all your favorite toppings followed by mozzarella on top!
- Bake until the cheese is melted, and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
Pro-Tip: For easy baking, be sure to pound your chicken breasts out until they’re thin and equally sized! The thicker the chicken, the longer it will take to bake.
Yes, of course! Feel free to include whatever pizza toppings you like best. Some of our favorite add-ins include:
This low-carb chicken isn’t playing hard to get — it’s ready to mingle with all of your favorite sides! If you’re watching your carbs, serve it over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. Or, for a more indulgent dish, pair it with pasta noodles or potatoes. Then, add a side of cowboy caviar or air fryer mozzarella sticks!
Can I Make Pizza Chicken Ahead of Time?
Yes! Although it’s not likely you’ll have any, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. However, we don’t recommend freezing this recipe as the cheese won’t reheat that well.
More Family-Friendly Chicken Recipes
Looking for more easy chicken dinner ideas? Take a look at these great options!
- A little sweet, a little savory, and a lot delicious, you’re going to adore these Coconut Chicken Tenders!
- A super simple Middle Eastern dish, our Chicken Kofta is super tasty and so good for you, too.
- The perfect easy dinner, this Easy Baked Bruschetta Chicken is bursting with flavor!
- Out of this world tasty, these Peri Peri Chicken Drumsticks are next-level savory and satisfying.
Low Carb Pizza Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts pounded thin
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 3 to mato slices
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Optional Toppings: pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- In an 11×7 oval baking dish, add the chicken breast. Season both sides with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons marinara sauce on top of each piece of chicken. Layer optional toppings on top, if using. Add the fresh Mozzarella.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit. (See notes)
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.