A quick one pot healthy spaghetti that is ready in less than 15-minutes! Loaded with veggies, and chicken for an easy weeknight dinner!
Spaghetti isn’t very difficult to make, BUT this is even easier than a classic spaghetti recipe. We love that it is gluten-free, with an option to make it completely plant-based.
One of our most popular recipes is the Oven Baked Spaghetti, we recently went on The Doctors TV to show them how to revamp this oven baked spaghetti into an easy and healthy one pot spaghetti! It’s such a great option for a weeknight meal. Chickpea pasta is really the star ingredient of this recipe, everyone loves it for its high-fiber and protein content.
How does Chickpea Pasta compare to regular pasta?
Chickpea pasta, as well as lentil pasta are a great source of fiber and protein. Furthermore, it’s got twice as much protein and four times as much fiber than regular pasta! Amazing, right?
How Does Chickpea Pasta taste and cook?
Let’s be honest, chickpea pasta does not taste like a real flour pasta. On its own chickpea pasta can be pretty bland, at least we think so! However, if you make sure that it is tossed in a good seasoned sauce, it will really transform the pasta into something delicious.
Banza pasta, is what we use in this recipe – if you have not used it, we high recommend giving it a try! It’s not overly mushy or gummy, and holds up pretty well. However, we do think it is more delicate that regular flout pasta, so you want to be gentle when tossing it in a sauce, otherwise it will break apart easily. If you want a more sturdy pasta, you can try the rotini, penne or rigatoni as its a thicker pasta.
Is Chickpea Pasta Low-Carb?
One Pot Spaghetti
- 16 oz chickpea spaghetti pasta uncooked
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers chopped
- 1/2 cup orange or yellow bell peppers chopped
- 2 small shallots chopped
- 2 cups cooked rotisserie chicken shredded (or any cooked chicken )
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt more or less to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix salt free
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz good quality marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 24 oz chicken or veggie broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a large, deep dutch oven add your uncooked pasta, shallots, peppers, mushrooms, cooked chicken, Italian seasoning, broth, marinara sauce, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir until everything is combined.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 12-14 minutes. Sprinkle parmesan cheese. *if pasta seems too saucy, don't worry it will thicken as it sits!
What kind of pot to use?
You can use any heavy pot. We use our Le Creuset enameled pot. A non-stick pot will work as well.
What is so great about a One Pot Pasta?
We LOVE how easy a one pot pasta is. You essentially dump all the ingredients in a pot and cook. No boiling the pasta required. It’s great for a busy weeknight meal.
How to make this One Pot Pasta
In a large pot add all your ingredients, even the cooked chicken!
Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is cooked. Top with parmesan cheese shavings and fresh basil. It’s THAT easy!
Plant-based spaghetti is possible, that’s why we love using chickpea pasta. Furthermore, you can keep out the chicken and grated parmesan cheese to make this recipe completely vegan.
If you love this recipe, you can make this One Pot Caprese Pasta using the chickpea rotini pasta, it can also be made completely vegan or with an option to add chicken. Either way you decide to make it, it’s going to be amazing!