The Best Egg Salad Recipe ever takes classic versions to a whole new level with the addition of cottage cheese, fresh veggies, and tahini. Made with Mediterranean flavors, this easy egg salad is packed full of protein, nutrients, healthy fats, and fiber to keep you full. Prepare it ahead of time for easy lunches and healthy snacks throughout the week!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this recipe, you’ll need to create an egg salad base as well as a tahini dressing for the ultimate flavor. Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Easy Egg Salad Recipe:
- Cottage Cheese – We found that full-fat cottage cheese creates the creamiest, richest texture, but any variety you like best can be used.
- Boiled Eggs – Key to creating the classic taste and texture we love.
- Produce – Fresh tomatoes and cucumbers make this egg salad truly unique and add a satisfying crunch.
- Seasonings – We combined everything but the bagel seasoning and a Greek seasoning blend for a garlicky, savory taste you’ll adore.
- Lettuce Cups – Technically optional and used for serving.
For the Tahina Dressing:
- Tahina (aka Tahini) – A Middle Eastern condiment made from toasted ground hulled sesame seeds that provides a creamy texture and a nutty taste.
- Seasonings – Cumin, salt, and pepper create extra depth and pair perfectly with the taste of the egg salad.
- Water – Used to thin out the tahina for a more liquid-like consistency rather than a paste.
- Lime Juice – Cuts through the heavy flavors for a light and refreshing dressing.
How to Make the Best Egg Salad Recipe
One of the main reasons why this is the best egg salad recipe is because it can be made in literally minutes. In fact, it’s so easy even the kids can help, and you don’t have to dirty up a million dishes!
- Boil the Eggs: Place the eggs in a medium-sized pot, and cover them with cold water. Then, cover the pot, and bring the liquid to a rolling boil. Remove the pot from the heat, and let it stand for 10-12 minutes. Drain the liquid, and immediately run cold water over the eggs. Once cooled, peel the shell.
- Combine: Add all of the peeled eggs to a large bowl, and mash with a fork. Then, add the remaining egg salad ingredients (except for the lettuce leaves), and stir to combine. Set the bowl aside.
- Make the Dressing: In a second small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing until smooth.
- Make the Best Egg Salad: Pour the tahina mixture over the egg salad, and stir until the ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Serve: Add a spoonful of the egg salad mixture to each lettuce leaf, and enjoy!
We love to serve this recipe stuffed in lettuce leaves for a light, low-carb meal. However, the serving options are endless!
- Serve it as a dip with crackers or veggies.
- Stuff it between bread slices for a hearty sandwich.
- Layer it over lettuce leaves for a filling salad.
- Use it to fill the center of an avocado for a healthy meal.
How Long Do Leftovers Last?
Once combined, leftover egg salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to eat, we recommend giving it a quick stir in case any of the ingredients settle in the fridge.
Why Is My Egg Salad Watery?
If your egg salad is too runny it’s likely because there is too much dressing. Luckily, it’s an easy fix! Just stir in an extra egg or two, and it should be good as new.
More Make Ahead Salad Recipes
Looking for more easy salad recipes you can make in advance? Take a look at our favorites below!
- This Vegan Roasted Eggplant Salad is made with fresh vegetables, quinoa, chickpeas, and a homemade tahini dressing for a plant-based meal that’s full of flavor and super easy to make!
- This Summer Pasta Salad is a light and refreshing meal you’ll want to enjoy all year.
- This Lentil Salad Recipe is a budget-friendly, vegetarian meal that’s bursting with flavor and nutrients!
- Our twist on cowboy caviar, this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is a light vegetarian recipe that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
The Best Egg Salad Recipe with Cottage Cheese
For the Egg Salad
- 8 boiled eggs mashed
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup cucumbers diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons everything but the bagel seasoning or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or to taste
- 6 lettuce cups
For the Tahina Dressing
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Juice of 1 large lime
- In a medium-sized pot, add the eggs. Submerge with cold water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pot from the heat, and let stand for 10-12 minutes. Drain the water, and immediately run cold water over the eggs to cool.
- Once cooled, peel the shell from the eggs, and mash them with a fork in a large bowl.
- In the same bowl, add the remaining egg salad ingredients except for the lettuce leaves. Mix to combine.
- In a second smaller bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the tahina dressing until smooth. Pour the dressing on top of the egg salad mixture, and stir until the ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Stuff each lettuce leaf with the egg salad, and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.