These Greek-Inspired Smashed Tacos are our flavor-infused take on the viral smashed tacos trend! Juicy ground beef is combined with warm onions and layered between two tortillas. Cooked until golden and finished with all the best toppings, they’re one recipe the whole family will agree on!
Table of Contents
Going Greek! Our Version of Viral Smashed Tacos
Smashed tacos took the internet by storm, and after one bite it’s not hard to see why! The ultimate combination of smash burgers and crispy tacos, they’re everyone’s two favorite foods rolled into one.
So, of course, we had to get on board! But, we did so with a little twist, infusing Greek flavors into the mix.
The end result is a tantalizing combination of tastes and textures that will leave you coming back for more, but that isn’t the only reason we adore this smashed tacos recipe. It’s also:
- Made with just eight ingredients.
- Cooks in less than five minutes. Seriously!
- Easy to double or even triple when feeding a crowd.
- Super customizable with all your favorite toppings and sauces.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this recipe, we stuck with the original ground beef base of smashed tacos and added a little Greek flare. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ground Beef – This forms the base of the tacos.
- Onion – Used to add flavor and help the beef patties cook up extra juicy.
- Parsley – A staple Greek herb. Buy a big bunch, and keep it fresh for recipes all week long!
- Spices – Allspice, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper add a hint of warmth that balances out the bright taste of the parsley.
- Tortillas – Use gluten-free flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
How to Make Greek-Inspired Smashed Tacos
Part of why this recipe became so popular is how easy it is to make! With just a few minutes, you’ll have a meal that looks and tastes like it came from a restaurant.
- Prepare the Beef. Season the ground beef, mixing it thoroughly. Then, portion it into 4 equal parts, and shape each portion into golf-ball-sized patties.
- Smash. Flatten the uncooked beef mixture onto the tortilla.
- Cook. Place the patties on a hot skillet, with the beef side down, press down with the back of grilling tools, or any other suitable object. Cook the patties for a few minutes, and carefully flip the burgers over.
- Crisp. Transfer the cooked patties to a second warm pan behind the first to crisp up the other side of the tortilla.
- Top and Serve. Remove the smashed tacos from the heat, add your favorite toppings, and dig in while they’re warm!
You can’t have tacos of any kind without toppings! Our favorite options include lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and tahini sauce, but feel free to mix and match whatever you like best.
How to Store
Smashed tacos are best served right away to prevent the tortillas from becoming soggy. However, if you happen to have leftovers, they can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to three days.
When you’re ready to eat, just place them in a warm skillet to help them crisp back up.
Common Questions About This Smashed Tacos Recipe
Because the meat is so thin, it usually only takes 3 minutes! You’ll know it’s done when it has turned brown. If you want to be extra careful, use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Lean beef between 80 and 93 percent works best for this recipe. We like to buy ours in bulk, and store it in the freezer for quick meals in a pinch!
They can, but we try to prevent this by transferring the smashed tacos to a separate pan. In addition, the leaner your beef, the less soggy your tacos will be.
More Taco-Inspired Recipes
Looking for more unique taco-inspired recipes? Try out the tasty options below!
- Baked Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Slow Coker Beef Birria
- One Pot Taco Pasta
Air FryerChicken Taquitos
Greek-Inspired Smashed Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 small gluten-free flour tortillas OR corn tortillas
- Toppings: lettuce tomatoes, cucumber, tahini sauce
- Begin by portioning the ground beef and seasoning it. Shape the beef into small golf ball-sized patties, adjusting the size based on the tortillas.
- Preheat a skillet on the stove, then spread and flatten the uncooked beef mixture onto the tortilla. Position the tortilla, with the beef side down, onto the heated skillet. Use the back of a spatula to lightly press down on the tortilla. If your skillet allows, you can cook multiple patties simultaneously, depending on their size.
- Ensure the tortilla is pressed down firmly to flatten the burger, and cook for approximately 3 minutes. Carefully flip the burger-tortilla combination.
- Remove the cooked patties from the skillet and transfer them to a second warm pan behind the first to crisp the other side of the tortilla. This step helps prevent excessive greasiness from building up in the skillet.
- Remove from heat, and add the desired toppings.
- Enjoy the delicious smashed tacos while they are still warm!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.