This Easy Salmon Burgers Recipe is a show-stopping main course perfect for all your mealtime needs. Made with fresh salmon, warm spices, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese, these salmon patties are cooked on the stovetop in minutes. Top them with avocado, lettuce, red onion, and scallions, and you can’t go wrong!
Table of Contents
- What Are Salmon Burgers and Why You Need Them In Your Life
- Are Salmon Burgers Healthy?
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How to Make This Easy Salmon Burgers Recipe
- What Do You Put On a Salmon Burger?
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store
- Common Questions About This Salmon Burgers Recipe
- More Ways to Use Salmon
- Easy Salmon Burgers Recipe Recipe
What Are Salmon Burgers and Why You Need Them In Your Life
Move over beef burgers! Salmon burgers are on the menu tonight and honestly, for the foreseeable future. They’re just that good.
If you’re unfamiliar, salmon burgers are patties made out of a combination of salmon, herbs, and spices, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Everyone has their own take on the recipe, but they’re also shaped in a disc like regular burgers and are often served on a bun.
A fun way to switch up your dinner rotation, they’re full of protein and healthy fats and are absolutely bursting with drool-worthy flavor. We love to serve ours loaded with toppings!
No matter how you load your salmon burgers up, they’re a quick, easy option that’s perfect for every occasion. Plus, they’re a great way to introduce new foods to picky eaters.
Are Salmon Burgers Healthy?
Yes! They aren’t low-calorie, but they’re full of protein, healthy fats, and nutrients, making them a nutritious addition to your burger repertoire.
The bulk of salmon burgers benefits can be contributed to the salmon. Not only is it tasty, but salmon also has a wide variety of health benefits. For instance, it:
- Is an excellent source of high-quality protein.
- Is rich in vitamins and nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin B6, selenium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- Provides a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
Ingredients You’ll Need
These salmon burgers feature simple ingredients and warm spices for a savory recipe that will tantalize your tastebuds.
- Salmon – Uncooked salmon filets form the base of the burgers. Feel free to use any type of salmon you like best.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – These help hold the burgers together.
- Parmesan Cheese – Use freshly grated Parmesan and not pre-shredded varieties from the store!
- Herbs and Spices – Garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, onion powder, chopped parsley, salt, and black pepper create a warm, savory taste that’s better than any frozen varieties you’ll find at the store.
- Green Onion – This adds a subtle tang and just a hint of crunch.
- Olive Oil – Use as little or as much as needed to coat the bottom of your pan.
How to Make This Easy Salmon Burgers Recipe
Making salmon burgers might sound complicated, but it’s actually really easy to do.
- Combine. Add all the ingredients for the salmon patties to the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the salmon is finely chopped and the ingredients are well combined. Be careful not to overprocess! You don’t want the mixture to be completely mush.
- Shape the Burgers. Divide the mixture into equal portions, and shape them into circular patties.
- Cook. Heat oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook the salmon patties on either side until their internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Enjoy! Serve your salmon burgers in buns with your toppings of choice, and dig in while it’s warm.
What Do You Put On a Salmon Burger?
We love to serve our salmon burgers on toasted buns with avocado, shredded lettuce, red onion, and green onion, but the options are endless! Feel free to mix and match all your favorite dips and toppings to make these burgers your own.
For instance, some of our favorite options include:
- Romaine or Butter lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomatoes
- Caramelized onions
- Sliced cheese (Cheddar, Harvarti, Provolone, etc.)
- Grilled pineapple
How to Store
This salmon burgers recipe is best enjoyed right away while the burgers are still warm. However, if needed, leftovers can be stored in the fridge or freezer.
- To Store: Allow your burgers to cool completely. Then, transfer them to a sealable bag or airtight container, and keep them in the fridge for up to two days.
- To Freeze: Wrap each burger in
parchment paper, and transfer them to a freezer-safe container. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to three months.
- To Reheat: Let your frozen salmon burgers thaw in the fridge overnight. Heat them in a skillet over medium or medium-low heat just until your desired temperature is reached.
Common Questions About This Salmon Burgers Recipe
The white stuff that seeps out of salmon as it cooks is a type of protein known as albumin. It doesn’t look super appetizing, but it’s totally safe to eat.
You know your burgers are done cooking when they’re a light golden brown color and a meat thermometer can be inserted into the center and reads 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
We don’t recommend using canned salmon, because it has already been cooked and will not yield the same taste or texture. Canned salmon is best suited for salmon patties instead of burgers.
More Ways to Use Salmon
Whether you’re trying to sneak more fish into your diet or just love salmon, you won’t want to miss out on more of our favorite salmon recipes below!
Easy Salmon Burgers Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds salmon filet skin removed and cut into chunks
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 stalks green onion roughly chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Toasted buns of choice
- Optional: avocado shredded lettuce, red onion, green onion, and Romaine leaves or Butter lettuce leaves, for serving
- Place the salmon chunks, panko breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, onion powder, green onion, salt, pepper, and parsley into a food processor.
- Pulse until the salmon is finely chopped and the ingredients are well combined. Be careful not to overprocess! There should be some texture.
- Divide the salmon mixture into equal portions, and shape them into patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Place the salmon patties in the heated pan, and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until they’re cooked through and golden brown and have reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- While the salmon burgers are cooking, toast the buns, if desired.
- Once the salmon patties are cooked, transfer them to the toasted buns.
- Added chopped avocado, lettuce, red onion and green onion for garnish.
- Top each patty with fresh romaine or butter lettuce leaves.
- Serve the salmon burgers immediately, and enjoy!
- Transfer leftover burgers to an airtight container, and store them in the fridge for up to two days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.