This Pizza-Flavored Oven Baked Asparagus is the easiest way to satisfy your pizza craving with zero guilt! Baked in less than 20 minutes, it’s a fun appetizer or side dish that will have even the pickiest eaters excited to eat their veggies.
Table of Contents
- What Is Pizza-Flavored Oven Baked Asparagus?
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- Flavor Variations
- How to Trim Asparagus
- How to Make Oven Baked Asparagus
- Tips for Success
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store
- Common Questions About This Oven Baked Asparagus Recipe
- More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
- Pizza-Flavored Oven Baked Asparagus Recipe Recipe
What Is Pizza-Flavored Oven Baked Asparagus?
A unique creation, this recipe takes plain oven baked asparagus and dresses it up with pizza toppings. It might sound strange, but don’t knock it ‘til ya try it!
A fun way to enjoy veggies, it has quickly become one of our go-to side dishes. Plus, it’s so tasty, even the kids will eat it.
But those aren’t the only reasons why we love it, this recipe is also:
- Quick to prep and ready in minutes.
- Full of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber.
- Customizable with all your favorite pizza toppings.
- Family-friendly, with four servings per batch.
Ingredients You’ll Need
There’s no need to spend time kneading dough or waiting for your crust to bake. This oven baked asparagus uses just a handful of ingredients for bold pizza flavor with items you likely have on hand.
- Asparagus – Fresh, bright spears form the base of this dish acting as a “crust”.
- Spices – Paprika, salt, black pepper, and oregano create an authentic pizza taste. Pre-made Italian seasoning can be substituted if preferred.
- Olive Oil – Used to coat the asparagus, helping the spices stick and allowing the spears to become tender in the oven.
- Mozzarella Cheese – If possible, use freshly grated Mozzarella cheese for the best taste and gooiest texture.
- Pepperoni – We use turkey pepperoni for our “pizza” topping of choice!
We’re partial to pepperoni, but any pizza toppings you like best can be used! Some great additional options include:
- Ham or Canadian Bacon
- Shredded Chicken
- Ground Beef
- Extra Cheese
- Vegetables (green onions, sliced onions, mushrooms, etc.)
How to Trim Asparagus
We highly recommend trimming the woody ends of the asparagus to help ensure they cook evenly and are tender once removed from the oven. To do so:
- Wash the spears.
- Line the asparagus up evenly on a cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife to slice off the thick ends where they turn from white to green.
*Note: Trim with a knife, don’t bend or snap your asparagus! This often leaves lots of edible parts to go to waste.
How to Make Oven Baked Asparagus
As mentioned, this recipe is simple to prepare, but it’s also a breeze to clean up! There’s just so much to love.
- Prepare the Asparagus. Trim the asparagus, and arrange the spears in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Season. Combine the spices in a small bowl. Then, drizzle the oil over the asparagus, sprinkle the spice mixture on top, and toss to coat the asparagus spears.
- Bake. Transfer the asparagus to the oven, and bake until tender.
- Top. Add the Mozzarella cheese and your toppings of choice, and return the baking sheet to the oven just until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Be careful not to let it burn!
- Enjoy! Let the dish cool just slightly, slice, and serve warm.
Tips for Success
- Use Asparagus Spears that are Equal in Size. Try to find an asparagus bunch that has spears that are nearly equal in length and width. This will allow for more even cooking.
- Avoid Overcrowding the Pan. You want the spears to be touching but not overlapping.
- Check for Doneness. Use a fork to ensure the asparagus is tender.
- Don’t Overbake. Remove the baking pan from the oven as soon as the veggies are tender, and again when the cheese is lightly browned. Continuing to cook will turn the asparagus to mush and result in an unpleasant burnt top.
This pizza-flavored oven baked asparagus makes for a fun addition to all your favorite main courses. Some of our favorite pairings include:
- Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Potatoes
- Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Beef Kofta Meatballs
- Jalapeño Cheddar Chicken Meatballs
How to Store
This recipe is best enjoyed right away. However, if you have leftovers, they can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to four days.
To reheat, place them back on a
Common Questions About This Oven Baked Asparagus Recipe
Soggy asparagus is a result of overcooking. All it takes is a few extra minutes for it to turn to mush.
You’ll want to cook your oven baked asparagus just until it is tender. We found that 15 minutes is best, but you might need to adjust the cooking time based on your oven and the size of the veggies.
Some people like to soak their asparagus before soaking, but as long as you clean the spears properly there is no need for this extra step.
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy the flavor of pizza without ordering takeout? Try out the pizza-inspired recipes below!
Pizza-Flavored Oven Baked Asparagus Recipe
- 1 pound asparagus washed and trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese to taste
- Pizza toppings of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus spears, and lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, salt, black pepper, and oregano.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus, and sprinkle the spice mixture evenly on top.
- Toss the asparagus gently to ensure the spears are completely coated with the oil and spices.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven, and bake for 15 minutes or until the asparagus becomes tender.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and top the asparagus with Mozzarella cheese and the pizza toppings.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven, and bake just until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Take the asparagus out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Slice and serve the delicious oven baked asparagus, loaded with flavors and a healthier, low-carb twist!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.