Beef up your hummus dip, literally, with juicy, tender pot roast on top! This Hummus with Meat recipe is our twist on Middle Eastern hummus bil lahmeh, or hummus with ground beef. Made with our Healthy Chickpea Hummus and topped with toasted pine nuts, it’s served with pita bread or pita chips for an appetizer that can’t be beat!
We’re excited to mark the end of Ramadan and celebrate Eid! With that comes all kinds of foods like tabbouleh, kahk, and plenty of hummus. While we love a simple recipe, during this time we can’t help but go all out with filling recipes and a complete mezze platter. As a result, we love to bulk up our traditional hummus recipe with extra meat for a filling side dish or appetizer that doubles as a complete meal!
Traditionally, hummus with meat consists of chickpea hummus and spiced ground beef. However, we do things a little differently, keeping it super easy, of course! You see, instead of using ground beef, we top our creamy hummus with tender, juicy pot roast.
The end result is an ultra-savory, satisfying dish that’s melt-in-your-mouth delicious and full of juicy flavor.
What You’ll Need
Super bold in flavor, this hummus with meat comes together with just a few ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Meat – We highly recommend using a boneless chuck roast for this recipe. It’s layered with fat making it super juicy, tender, and easy to shred.
- Garlic – Believe it or not, 20 whole cloves of fresh garlic are used to season your beef!
- Onion – This is used in conjunction with the garlic for a tangy, savory flavor.
- Herbs and Spices – Salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano enhance the savoriness of the dish, adding just a hint of spice.
- Hummus – We prefer to use our homemade hummus, but storebought works just as well, too.
- Garnishes – Technically optional, toasted pine nuts and parsley add extra richness, a bit of crunch, and a refreshing taste.
How to Make Hummus with Meat
This hummus with meat looks fancy, but it’s fairly hands-off and easy to make!
- Prepare the Roast. Using clean paper towels, pat the chuck roast dry, and place it in a large baking dish on top of the chopped onions and garlic. Combine the seasonings in a small bowl, and use your hands to rub the mixture over the meat, coating all of the sides completely.
- Bake. Cover the meat with foil, and place it in the oven until it is fork-tender and has reached an internal temperature of 195° Fahrenheit. Let it rest for 5 minutes to redistribute the juices.
- Shred. Use two forks to shred the meat into pieces, and set it aside to absorb the leftover liquid.
- Serve. Spread your hummus over a large plate or serving platter. Arrange the shredded meat on top, and garnish with toasted pine nuts and parsley.
Feel free to experiment with different garnishes and serving options to make the flavor of this hummus with meat your own! For instance, some of our favorite ways to switch it up include:
- Serving the meat over potatoes, rice, or pasta instead of hummus.
- Adding pomegranate seeds on top.
- Including veggies like grilled eggplant or chopped tomatoes as garnish.
- Using a sprinkle of feta cheese.
Common Questions About Hummus with Meat
Yes! If you want to prepare in advance, make the hummus and meat separately, and store them in individual airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Then, just assemble them right before serving.
Sure! Again, store the hummus and meat separately. They can be frozen for 3-4 months. Then, let the two thaw in the fridge overnight, and assemble before serving.
If you want to swap out the roast, cook your ground beef on the stove with onions, garlic, and spices, and assemble your dish as usual.
We love to serve this dish with pita bread, pita chips, naan, or veggies for dipping.
More Tasty Hummus Recipes
Looking for more crowd-pleasing hummus recipes? Try out some of our favorites below!
- Hummus with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives
- Za’atar Hummus with Olive Tapenade
- Chunky Garlic Hummus
- Roasted Maple Butternut Squash Hummus Dip
Hummus with Meat Recipe
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 1 white onion (sliced)
- 20 garlic cloves
- Hummus to taste
- Optional: toasted pine nuts and fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- Combine the salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a 12×8 baking dish, arrange the onions and garlic cloves.
- Using clean paper towels, pat the chuck roast completely dry. Place it on top of the onions and garlic in the baking dish.
- Using two hands, rub the prepared seasoning blend over the roast, coating all sides.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 3 hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 195° F. Rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Using two forks shred the meat into pieces. Set aside to absorb some of the remaining juices in the baking dish.
- On a large serving platter, spread the hummus in an even layer. Arrange the shredded meat on top.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts and parsley, if desired.
- Serve with pita bread, pita chips, or naan.
- Store the hummus and meat separately in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.