Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough is bright in colorful, fun to make, full of flavor, and safe to eat! Just 10 ingredients combine to create every cookie lover’s dream dessert in minutes. The best part is that there are no eggs, so you can enjoy it right away!
Table of Contents
- What Is Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough?
- Why You’ll Love Monster Cookie Dough
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How to Heat-Treat Flour
- How to Make Cookie Monster Cookie Dough
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store
- Common Questions About Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough
- More Cookie Recipes
- Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough Recipe Recipe
Remember the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street? You know! The blue furry guy that’s obsessed with eating cookies. Yeah, him. That’s who this Monster Cookie Dough is named after. Light blue in color, this treat is loaded with Oreos and chocolate chip cookies, making it a treat guaranteed to meet Cookie Monster’s standards.
To be truthful, we’re quite the cookie connoisseurs ourselves. Actually, saying we’re obsessed with cookies is probably a bit of an understatement. With recipes like Ghraybeh, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, and so many more, we always have a batch on hand.
But every once in a while we’d rather just have the dough. So instead, of risking salmonella by consuming raw cookie dough filled with eggs or buying the expensive pre-made ready-to-eat cookie dough from the store, we made our own Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough. Loaded with cookie chunks in every bite, it’s completely egg-free, meaning it’s safe to eat. So, go ahead and grab a spoon, and let’s dig in!
What Is Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough?
Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough is a type of homemade cookie dough that is safe to eat raw without the risk of foodborne illness that is present with standard raw cookie dough. Given its name and blue hue, Cookie Monster Cookie Dough in particular is inspired by the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street.
It’s safe to eat because the dough is made with heat-treated dough and no raw eggs. As a result, it’s safe to eat right from the container without baking! That way you get all the gooey goodness of cookie dough with none of the risk. Fun to make and eat, it’s a sweet treat loved by kids and adults alike.
Why You’ll Love Monster Cookie Dough
- 10 simple ingredients are all you need.
- It comes together in minutes.
- You can customize the add-ins including whatever you like.
- It’s completely safe to eat!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The base of this Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough comes together with just a handful of common, pantry staple ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour forms the base of the Cookie Monster Cookie Dough. Just make sure it’s heat-treated first! If needed, you can use a 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour instead.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar sweetens the dough, creating a classic cookie dough taste.
- Butter – Opt for unsalted butter to create a rich flavor. For the best results, allow it to sit out and soften before mixing.
- Milk – As with most of our dessert recipes, we like to use whole milk for a richer taste. However, any milk you have on hand will work great.
- Sea Salt – A little goes a long way to enhance the rest of the ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract adds extra depth, creating the best recipes.
- White Chocolate – White chocolate chips add little pockets of sweetness to the dough.
- Oreo Cookies – We like to use mini Oreos so you get crunchy pieces of chocolate cookie goodness in every bite. Or, you can use whole Oreos, and crumble them up!
- Chips Ahoy Cookies – Using pre-made chocolate chip cookies helps make this recipe super quick. However, if you’ve got the time, Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies make for an amazing addition to this edible cookie dough!
- Sprinkles – From cupcakes to ice cream, and everything in between, brightly colored sprinkles help make everything more fun!
- Blue Food Coloring – Technically optional, this gives the dough its fun blue appearance, making it truly monster-like.
How to Heat-Treat Flour
Heat-treating flour is the best way to ensure all your raw desserts like no-bake bites and edible cookie dough are safe to eat. Read more about why and how to do it here. In the meantime, we’ll break the process down quickly!
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the flour in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
How to Make Cookie Monster Cookie Dough
- Combine the Ingredients. Add the flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, milk, and salt to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat. Use a hand mixer to mix the ingredients together until smooth.
- Fold. Add the cookies, white chocolate chips, and sprinkles, using a spatula to gently fold them into the dough until they’re well incorporated.
- Enjoy! Dig in right away.
Once you have the base of flour, sugar, butter, milk, salt, and vanilla extract, you can add any ingredients you like to imitate your favorite cookies! For instance, some of our favorite mix-ins include:
- Chopped Nuts
- Candy Pieces (Twix, KitKats, Reese’s, etc.)
- Reese’s Pieces
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Semi-Sweet or Milk Chocolate Chips
This Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough is great served on its own with nothing but a spoon! Or, use it as a dip and scoop it up with cookies, sweet crackers, or pieces of waffle cone.
Additionally, if you want to get creative, try serving it in a waffle bowl or your favorite ice cream cone or sandwiched between cookies or waffles!
How to Store
This Cookie Monster Cookie Dough is best eaten right away as soon as it’s mixed. However, if you have extras or want to make it in advance, it can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 1 week. To eat, let it sit out and soften at room temperature for about 15-30 minutes so it’s easy to scoop, dip, and spread.
For a longer-lasting option, keep it in the freezer for up to 1 month! Let it thaw in the fridge and soften at room temperature before eating.
Common Questions About Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough
Yes, flour is raw and may contain harmful bacteria that could make you sick. Baking it in the oven helps kill any bacteria or pathogens, making it safe to eat.
No, this cookie dough does not contain any leavening ingredients or those that provide structure like baking soda or eggs. That means that it would just spread out and fall flat in the oven and wouldn’t taste super great. However, if you’re looking for baked cookies, we’ve got tons of cookie recipes for you to choose from!
More Cookie Recipes
If you enjoyed this Cookie Monster Cookie Dough, you’ll love these baked cookie recipes, too!
Edible Cookie Monster Cookie Dough Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour heat-treated
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: blue food coloring
- 1/2 cup Oreo Cookies
- 1/2 cup Chips Ahoy cookies
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and spread the flour out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, milk, salt, and food coloring, if using.1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 Tablespoons milk, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, Optional: blue food coloring
- Using a hand mixer, beat until smooth.
- Fold in the Oreo cookies, Chips Ahoy cookies, white chocolate chips, and sprinkles.*1/2 cup Oreo Cookies, 1/2 cup Chips Ahoy cookies, 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, 2 Tablespoons sprinkles
- Serve immediately!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Let the dough come to room temperature to enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.