The only cookies you’ll ever need, this double chocolate chunk cookies recipe is made with simple ingredients for the softest cookies with crisp edges and gooey centers! Simple and quick to make, they’re always a crowd-pleaser. Serve them warm from the oven with a cold glass of milk or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe
- Melted Butter
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Egg + Egg Yolk
- Baking Soda
- White Chocolate
- Dark Chocolate Chunks
Ingredient Swap: Feel free to swap out the white and dark chocolates for any chocolate you prefer! Use all dark chocolate, all white chocolate, or semi-chocolate works well, too. If you prefer, you can even swap out the chunks for chocolate chips!
How to Make the Best Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Follow the simple steps below, and you’ll be on your way to warm decadent cookies in no time!
Prepare the Dough
- To begin, preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, combine the dry ingredients until they, making sure to mix evenly.
- In a second bowl, cream the butter with the sugars. Next, add the whole egg, and beat again.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
Portion the Batter
Now that the dough is combined, it’s time to form your cookies! Of course, you could eyeball your portions, but we highly recommend that you don’t! Instead, follow the steps below.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop out equal portions.
- Roll each portion in between your palms to form a ball.
- Flatten the cookies just slightly before placing them on a baking sheet.
Now, it’s time to finish your chocolate chunk cookies!
- Place the baking sheet in the heated oven.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes or until the edges of your cookies are golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and let the cookies cool completely.
Tips & Tricks for Irresistible Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Measure with a scale. To guarantee your cookies turn out perfectly, we recommend measuring the ingredients with a food scale to prevent any miscalculations!
Don’t overmix your dough! You want the ingredients to be just combined. Otherwise, they won’t have that soft texture we’re looking for.
Remove the cookies from the oven before you think they’re done. You want them to still be just a little gooey. They’ll continue to bake and solidify as they cool!
Space the cookies out. You want to leave plenty of room on the baking sheet because the dough will expand as it bakes.
Use room temperature dough. This will help the dough spread and flatten as the cookies bake.
Serve your cookies warm! We love to pair them with milk or vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
Make-Ahead & Storage Options
Once baked, leftover cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Or, for longer-lasting cookies, place them in the freezer instead! For the best results, wrap each cookie with foil, and store them in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
If you prefer, you can also freeze the dough to bake later. We recommend portioning it out first, and letting the balls of dough harden for 20 minutes or so in the freezer. Then, transfer them to a sealable bag, and store them for up to 2 months.
Can I Bake the Dough from Frozen?
Yes! Just reduce the oven temperature by roughly 20-25 degrees, and increase the baking time by 2-3 minutes. Bake as normal, and enjoy!
Even More Irresistible Cookie Recipes
- Everything you love about s’mores in the convenience of a cookie, these s’mores cookies are perfect all year round!
- Thick and chewy, these monster cookies are loaded with rolled oats, chocolate chips, butterscotch, and more to satisfy all your tastebuds.
- Chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside, these soft-baked M&M cookies are bursting with chocolatey goodness you’ll love!
- A copycat of a popular recipe, these Crumbl mom’s cookies have a little bit of something for everyone to enjoy.
Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ sticks of melted butter + 2 Tablespoons
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup white chocolate
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 325° Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the flour cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, add the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Cream the ingredients together.
- Add 1 egg to the bowl of wet ingredients. Beat the misture. Scrape down the sides, and add the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Beat again until the ingredients are light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Do NOT overmix!
- Add the white chocolate chips and chocolate chunks to the bowl, and gently fold them into the batter.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to portion out the dough.
- Roll each portion into a ball, and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing evenly.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown. They will continue to bake once removed from the oven!
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet.
- Once solidified, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with milk or ice cream!