Transform your favorite holiday treat into a truly showstopping dessert with this crispy Easy Pecan Fried Pie Recipe! Gooey, sweet, and delicious, it’s guaranteed to become a holiday staple in your household.
What Is Fried Pie?
Typically, when people refer to a fried pie recipe, they are talking about handheld pastries stuffed with a sweet fruit filling like this. However, we took the term literally and actually fried a pecan pie. Sounds crazy, right? But it totally works! This fried pie recipe is:
- Gooey on the inside.
- Golden and crisp on the outside.
- Prepared in minutes.
- Even better served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce!
The Only Ingredients You’ll Need
Sure, you could spend all day in the kitchen making a pecan pie from scratch, but who has time for that? For this recipe, we use a store-bought pie to save tons of time. Don’t worry, though. No one will know! You can thank us later. Here’s what else you’ll need:
- All-Purpose Flour – If needed, you can replace the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten-free alternative.
- Baking Powder – This allows for a lighter, fluffy breading.
- Eggs – Eggs are used as a binder to hold the rest of the ingredients together, helping the batter stick to the pie.
- Kosher Salt – A pinch of salt elevates the rest of the ingredients for the most incredible taste.
- Milk – We recommend using whole milk for the richest taste, but any white milk you have on hand is fine.
- Granulated Sugar – We don’t recommend swapping this out with powdered or brown sugar! If you do, the batter won’t form correctly and is likely to have an odd taste.
- Vegetable Oil – Due to its high smoke point, vegetable oil is best for frying.
How to Make Easy Pecan Fried Pie
This recipe truly is “easy as pie.” Just follow the steps below, and it’ll be ready in minutes!
- Add all of the ingredients except for the pie and oil to a large bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Dip a slice of frozen pie in the prepared batter, making sure it is completely coated.
- Add it to the oil, and let it cook until golden brown on all sides, flipping once.
- Drain on paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- Then, top with powdered sugar, and serve warm!
- Repeat until all of the pie has been fried, adding more oil to the pot as needed.
Can I Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
We don’t recommend making this recipe in advance. If stored in the fridge or left out to cool completely, the fried batter is likely to become soft and soggy.
If you want to really treat yourself to a special dessert, be sure to spruce up your pecan fried pie with all your favorite toppings like:
- Extra chopped pecans
- Powdered sugar
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce
- A dollop of whipped cream
Can I Use This Method without Other Types of Pies?
Sure! We haven’t tried it, but it should work. However, we don’t recommend trying it out with single crust pies. You need the top layer of crust to form the crunchy coating. Otherwise, the filling is likely to fall apart.
More Pies to Try
Looking for another pie to bring to your next holiday event? Try out some of these easy recipes!
- Incredibly rich in flavor, this Billy Miner Ice Cream Pie isn’t for the faint of heart or appetite and doubles as an amazing birthday cake option.
- Made with layers of cookies, creamy peanut butter, decadent chocolate, and more, this No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie will have your guests begging for more.
- Sweet dulce and creamy pudding combine to create the best Banoffee Cream Pie.
- Half cookie, half pie, this Peanut Butter Cookie Pie is the best of both worlds in one showstopping dessert!
Easy Pecan Fried Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Pecan Pie (sliced and frozen)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, eggs, salt, milk, and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until oil reaches 350° F.
- Add a slice of the frozen pie to the prepared battered, and toss to coat. Add the pie to the oil. Fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Serve immediately with ice cream and caramel, if desired.