This Easy Pecan Fried Pie transforms your favorite holiday dessert into a showstopping treat with ease! Gooey, sweet, and delicious, it’s sure to become a staple in your holiday lineup.
What Is A Pecan Fried Pie?
Typically, when people refer to a fried pie recipe, they mean handheld pastries stuffed with a sweet fruit filling. However, we took the term literally and actually fried a pecan pie!
It totally works! This fried pie recipe is:
- Gooey on the inside.
- Golden and crisp on the outside.
- Prepared in minutes.
- Even better served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Sure, you could spend all day in the kitchen making a pecan pie from scratch, but who has time for that? For this recipe, we use a store-bought pie to save tons of time.
- All-Purpose Flour – If needed, you can replace the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten-free alternative.
- Baking Powder – This allows for a lighter, fluffy breading.
- Large Eggs – These act as a binder, holding the ingredients together and helping the batter stick.
- Kosher Salt – A pinch of salt elevates the rest of the ingredients for the most incredible taste.
- Milk – We recommend using whole milk for the richest taste, but any milk you have on hand is fine.
- Granulated Sugar – We don’t recommend swapping this out with powdered or brown sugar! If you do, the batter won’t form correctly and is likely to have an odd taste.
- Vegetable Oil – The high smoke point of vegetable oil makes it ideal for frying.
How to Make Easy Pecan Fried Pie
This recipe truly is “easy as pie.” Just follow the steps below, and it’ll be ready in minutes!
- Whisk. Add the batter ingredients (four, baking powder, eggs, salt, milk, and sugar) to a large bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Warm. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, bringing it to a boil over medium heat.
- Bread. While the oil heats, dip a slice of the frozen pie into the flour mixture, tossing to coat it completely.
- Fry. Dip the pie slice in the hot oil, and fry on each side until it’s golden brown and crisp.
- Drain. Transfer the pie from the pot and leave it to drain on paper towels. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Repeat. Fry the pie in batches, adding more oil to the pot as needed. Serve warm!
Can I Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
We don’t recommend making this fried pecan pie recipe in advance. If stored in the fridge or left out to cool completely, the batter is likely to become soft and soggy.
For a delicious dessert, serve your pecan fried pie with your favorite toppings! Some options include:
- Extra chopped pecans
- Powdered sugar
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce
- A dollop of whipped cream
Can I Use This Method with Other Types of Pies?
We don’t recommend testing this method with single crust pies. You need the top and bottom layers to hold the mixture in the center together. Any double crust pie should work, though!
More Pies to Try
- Billy Miner Ice Cream Pie
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Banoffee Cream Pie
- Peanut Butter Cookie Pie
Easy Pecan Fried Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 Pecan Pie sliced and frozen
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, eggs, salt, milk, and sugar. Whisk to combine.1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 cup milk, 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until oil reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.Vegetable oil for frying
- Add a slice of the frozen pie to the prepared battered, and toss to coat. Add the pie to the oil. Fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.1 Pecan Pie
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Serve immediately with ice cream and caramel, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.