Part breakfast, part dessert, Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Croissants are flakey, tender, and full of sweet, buttery flavor. Topped with sliced strawberries and powdered sugar, it’s a showstopping recipe perfect for holiday breakfasts, weekend brunches, and more!
Why You’ll Love Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Croissants
Is there anything better than waking up to a fresh batch of warm french toast? Whether it’s cannoli baked french toast, baklava french toast, or this strawberry cheesecake french toast, it’s always guaranteed to hit the spot and put a smile on your face! However, that’s not the only reason why we love this recipe. It’s also:
- Super simple to make and serve.
- Great to make ahead of time.
- Easy to double for feeding a crowd.
- Customizable to satisfy your tastebuds and dietary needs.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Inspired by one of our all-time favorite desserts, this recipe uses a handful of minimal ingredients for a mind-blowing taste. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Croissants – We recommend using a handful of small croissants for easy serving. However, large croissants would work, too.
- Half and Half – This is used in place of milk in the egg wash to create an extra rich recipe.
- Vanilla Extract – Make sure you use a high-quality pure vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Eggs – These help coat the croissants, locking in moisture, providing structure, and giving the bread the crisp, golden exterior we’re looking to achieve.
- Sugar – We use a combination of granulated sugar to sweeten the cheesecake filling and extra powdered sugar for dusting on top of the finished dish!
- Cream Cheese – Plain, full-fat cream cheese forms the base of the cheesecake filling.
- Marscapone Cheese – This adds extra tang and helps create a smooth filling.
- Strawberries – Sliced and sprinkled on top for a pop of color and flavor.
If you want, feel free to experiment with this strawberry cheesecake french toast croissants recipe with different mix-ins and variations! For instance, some of our favorites include:
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Pieces of thick bread in place of croissants
- A drizzle of chocolate on top
- Whipped Cream
How to Make Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Croissants
This recipe is great to prepare in advance and bake just before serving! Here’s what to do:
- Create the Cheesecake Filling. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, mascarpone, powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt, whisking until smooth.
- Spread. Smear the mixture inside each sliced croissant.
- Create the Egg Wash. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, half and half, sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Layer. Dip each croissant into the egg mixture, making sure it is well coated. Then, layer the bread in a round buttered baking dish. It’s okay if the croissants overlap! Pour the remaining egg mixture on top, coating the croissants completely.
- Refrigerate. Cover the dish, and place the strawberry cheesecake french toast croissants in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bake. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil, and continue to bake until the egg mixture is set and the croissants are golden brown on top.
- Serve. Sprinkle sliced strawberries and powdered sugar on top. Add a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired, and enjoy!
How to Store
We highly recommend making this recipe in advance! The longer the croissants have to soak, the more delicious they’ll be. Also, go ahead and make a double batch to keep on hand and serve later. Here’s how to keep it fresh.
Make Ahead: Assemble the french toast as the recipe states. Then, cover the dish, and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to eat, pop it in the oven as usual, and enjoy.
Refrigerator: Once baked and fully cooled, this strawberry cheesecake french toast can be covered or transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freezer: You can freeze the croissants either before they are dipped in the egg mixture or after they are baked. To freeze before cooking, stuff the croissants with the cream cheese filling. Then, wrap each croissant with plastic wrap, transfer them to a sealable bag, and keep them frozen for up to 3 months. To eat, thaw at room temperature, follow the recipe as normal, and enjoy!
Or, bake the croissants completely, and store them in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Reheat: To enjoy, warm your strawberry cheesecake french toast croissants in the oven from the fridge or freezer until they are heated through.
If you want to go all out and serve this recipe as part of a complete spread, try pairing it with all your favorite breakfast options such as:
More French Toast Recipes
Looking for more fun french toast recipes? Check out some of our favorites below!
- French Toast Cereal
- Cinnamon Bun
Air FryerFrench Toast
- Lemon Blueberry French Toast with Ricotta
- Bananas Foster French Toast
Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Croissants
- 12-16 small croissants (or 8 large)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 Tablespoon high-quality pure vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar + more for dusting
- 2 cups strawberries (sliced)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, mascarpone, powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of the mixture inside each sliced croissant.
- In a second mixing bowl, add the eggs, half and half, sugar, and vanilla, whisking to combine. Dip each croissant into the egg mixture, coating them completely.
- Arrange the croissants in a round buttered baking dish. Note: It’s okay if the croissants overlap.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture evenly over the croissants. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.*
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the egg mixture is set and the croissants are golden brown and crisp.
- Top with sliced strawberries and extra powdered sugar. Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.