A unique twist on traditional french toast recipes, this Lemon Blueberry French Toast with Ricotta is made with sweet Hawaiian rolls for a springtime breakfast or brunch that’s full of fruity flavor!
Finger Lickin’ French Toast
Did you grow up eating french toast? For us, it’s such a nostalgic recipe that can be prepared in so many different ways from Nutella Croissant French Toast to Cannoli French Toast Bake and more. No matter how it’s prepared, it always brings back fun weekend mornings spent with friends and family gatherings during the holidays. So, with spring in full bloom, we decided to give this classic comfort food a bit of a twist and created blueberry french toast! It’s full of lemon and blueberry flavors with a custard-like filling you won’t be able to resist. Even better, it’s easy to make in bulk and perfect for feeding a crowd. We promise your guests will be licking their fingers and begging for seconds!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this lemon blueberry french toast, we took the classic recipe we all know and love and made a few simple swaps and additions to create a baked version that can be easily portioned to feed many guests with ease. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Hawaiian Bread Rolls
- Cream Cheese
- Lemon Curd
- Vanilla Extract
If you’d like, you could even experiment with adding additional toppings like more fruit, powdered sugar, and even coconut flakes!
Can I Use Something Other Than Hawaiian Bread Rolls?
We haven’t tested this recipe with any other bread, but it should work the same! For the best results, we recommend using a similar type of sweet roll. Or, if you prefer, you could make stuffed blueberry french toast by layering the ricotta mixture in between two pieces of thick, crusty bread. If you try it out, let us know how it goes!
How to Make Lemon Blueberry French Toast with Ricotta
Although it looks a little complicated, this blueberry french toast bake couldn’t be any easier to create! Here’s how:
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Cut out or press down the center of your Hawaiian rolls, and place them in a baking dish.
- Fill each roll with 1 heaping tablespoon of the blueberry ricotta mixture. Don’t forget to add extra berries on top!
- Pour your milk and egg mixture over the rolls, making sure to distribute it evenly.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Then, remove the foil, and let your blueberry french toast bake for an additional 5 minutes to create that beautiful golden-brown color.
Can I Make This Blueberry French Toast Bake Ahead of Time?
Yes! This french toast bake is perfect to make ahead of time. Just store it covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. Then, when you’re ready to eat, cover it with foil, and place it back in the oven for a few minutes or until your desired temperature is reached.
More French Toast Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for even more french toast options? We don’t blame you! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Strawberry French Toast Cheesecake Buns
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Roll-Ups
- Blueberry Mascarpone French Toast Bake
- Berry Stuffed French Toast
- Raspberry Cheesecake Challah French Toast
Lemon Blueberry French Toast with Ricotta
- 12 Hawaiian bread rolls
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup lemon curd
- ½ cup fresh blueberries + extra for topping
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cut out the center of each Hawaiian roll, and place them in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, ricotta, and lemon curd extract smooth. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Stuff 1 heaping Tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each Hawaiian roll, and top with extra blueberries, if desired.
- In a second small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture evenly over the Hawaiian rolls.
- Place aluminum foil over the rolls, and bake covered for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Have you ever tried french toast with Hawaiian rolls? It’s such a fun way to switch things up! If you give this recipe a try, please let us know in the comments below!