This Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Lava Cake recipe is made with 5 decadent layers and baked in a slow cooker for an easy, indulgent dessert that’s perfect for feeding a crowd. Prepare it in minutes, and come back to a warm, gooey cake waiting for you!
Inspired by molten lava cake desserts you find at restaurants, this Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Lava Cake features a base of rich, chocolate cake batter and a soft, fluid peanut butter center. One bite and you’ll never go back to overpriced steakhouse versions again!
Instead of waiting in a long line to get in the doors at a fancy restaurant, you can prepare this slow cooker lava cake from the comfort of your own kitchen. Even better, unlike regular chocolate cake recipes, you don’t have to spend hours preparing the batter and waiting for it to bake. All you have to do is add each layer to the slow cooker, and come back to dessert waiting for you!
Why You Need This Slow Cooker Lava Cake In Your Life
- It’s made with 5 layers of peanut butter chocolate goodness.
- All you have to do is combine the ingredients and let it cook.
- One recipe makes plenty to feed a crowd.
- You can easily customize the recipe to mix and match different flavors.
What You’ll Need
We added a secret ingredient to this peanut butter lava cake to make the center extra luscious and satisfying. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chocolate Cake Mix – Use any boxed chocolate cake mix you like best, and prepare it according to the package instructions.
- Chocolate Pudding Mix – We use store-bought pudding mix. However, homemade chocolate pudding works just as well if you have the time to make it.
- Peanut Butter – We recommend using natural, creamy peanut butter to create soft, melty swirls.
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips help enhance the already rich chocolate flavor. If preferred, dark chocolate chips can be used instead.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips – You can never have too much peanut butter, right? Combine these with the chocolate chips for little pockets of smooth peanut butter in every bite.
How to Make a Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Lava Cake
This slow cooker lava cake recipe is unlike any other cake you’ll ever make! It requires a little bit of preparation, but it couldn’t be easier to do. Just follow the steps below.
- Prepare. To begin, cover the bottom of your slow cooker with foil. We don’t do this in the video in the recipe card below. However, after a few rounds of testing, we’ve found that it’s a lifesaver when it comes to preventing the bottom of the cake from burning!
- Gather the Ingredients. Prepare the cake mix and pudding mix according to the package instructions, and round up the rest of the ingredients.
- Layer. Pour the prepared cake batter into the bottom of the foil-lined slow cooker. Add the chocolate pudding on top. Place dollops of peanut butter over the mixture, and use a knife to swirl it around. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips on top.
- Cook. Cover the slow cooker with the lid, and cook on high for 2 ½ hours. Then, dig in while it’s warm!
Large enough for a family!
This Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Lava Cake is incredibly delicious when served warm on its own. Or, if you want to get extra fancy, try serving it with extra toppings like:
- Chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans
- Whipped cream
- Vanilla ice cream
The terms are often used interchangeably, but they aren’t actually the same desserts. For instance, “molten cake” is a general term that is used to refer to any cake with a soft center that is a combination of chocolate cake and a chocolate soufflé. In contrast, a “lava cake” is a specific type of cake that is made with a slightly underbaked molten chocolate center.
Yes! Feel free to mix and match different cake mixes or pudding mixes to create a completely new recipe. You can even use a different nut or seed butter, chocolate sauce, or caramel sauce for the swirl.
Serve this peanut butter lava cake right away for the best flavor and texture. However, if you have leftovers, they can be covered and stored at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Yes, to warm your slow cooker lava cake, turn the slow cooker to warm. Or, heat individual servings in the microwave in intervals of 20-30 seconds.
If you want to double this recipe, we recommend using two slow cookers or working in batches. Otherwise, it won’t cook properly.
More Lava Cake-Inspired Recipes
If you enjoyed this slow cooker peanut butter lava cake recipe, check out more of our favorite desserts below!
Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Lava Cake Recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (prepared according to the package instructions)
- 1 5.1 ounce box chocolate pudding mix, prepared according to the package instructions
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with foil. NOTE: This is not shown in the video below, but it’s highly recommended to prevent the bottom of the cake from burning!
- Prepare the cake batter and pudding mix according to the package instructions.
- Pour the cake batter into the slow cooker. Smooth the pudding on top.
- Dollop the peanut butter over the mixture. Using a sharp knife, swirl the peanut butter through the batter.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips on top.
- Cover, and cook on high 2 ½ hours.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
- Store covered at room temperature for 2-3 days.