This Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake puts a new spin on classic mug cake recipes with a rich hazelnut batter and a gooey, decadent Ferrero Rocher center. Baked in the oven in less than 20 minutes, it’s the ultimate single-serving dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth!
If you didn’t already know, we’re massive fans of hazelnut spread. With recipes like our Hazlenut Chocolate Tart, Chocolate Hazlenut Brownie Skillet, Hazelnut Chocolate Crock Pot Candy, and so many more, we try to fit it into pretty much everything. We even have our own copycat Nutella hazelnut spread!
As much as we love being in the kitchen and baking up sweet treats, sometimes we just want a recipe to indulge in on our own. So, naturally, we had to make a Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake! It’s rich in flavor, moist and fluffy, and stuffed with a Ferrero Rocher truffle for a gooey center that tastes like a dream.
Even better, it cooks in a single mug for a quick and easy dessert you don’t have to share!
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake
- 6 simple ingredients are all you need.
- It bakes in less than 20 minutes.
- Combined in a single mug, it’s quick to prepare and easy to clean up.
- You get warm, gooey, chocolate hazelnut flavor in every bite.
What You’ll Need
We’re willing to bet you have almost everything you need for this Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake already waiting in your kitchen! Here’s the ingredient list:
- Flour – Regular, all-purpose flour forms the base of the batter. If needed, swap it out with a 1:1 gluten-free flour alternative instead.
- Baking Powder – This is crucial for the cake batter to rise and become fluffy. For the best results, make sure it’s fresh!
- Nutella – Use storebought Nutella or our copycat hazelnut spread to add flavor to the basic batter.
- Milk – As with most of our desserts, we prefer to use whole milk for an extra rich taste. However, any milk you have on hand can be used.
- Ferrero Rocher – Placed in the center of the batter, this is what transforms this hazelnut mug cake recipe from good to great! Baked in the oven, it melts and becomes gooey and rich similar to the center of a lava cake.
- Salt – Just a pinch helps enhance the sweet flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
How to Make a Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake
This might be the easiest cake you’ll ever make! Here’s what to do:
- Prepare. Preheat your oven, and lightly grease a large mug or ramekin.
- Combine the Ingredients. Mix all the ingredients except the Ferrero Rocher together in the mug just until smooth to form a thick cake batter. Be careful not to overmix! Gently press the Ferrero Rocher into the center of the batter.
- Bake. Place the mug in the oven, and bake until fluffy and set. Be careful not to overbake!
- Serve. Set the mug aside for 1 minute to cool, and dig in while your cake is warm!
Pro-Tip: Place your mug on a baking sheet before placing it in the oven. This will catch any batter that may overflow, preventing a huge mess in your oven!
This Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake tastes gourmet all on its own, but toppings are never a bad idea. Right? Not in our book at least! We love to top off this treat with a dollop of whipped cream, chocolate sauce, extra hazelnut drizzle, chopped hazelnuts, powdered sugar, or a big scoop of cold vanilla ice cream!
Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake Common Questions
We haven’t tested this recipe in the microwave. So, we can’t guarantee the results. We think it should work, though! Start with 1 minute, and continue to cook for 30 seconds at a time until it’s cooked through.
The two most common culprits of a rubbery cake are overcooking or adding too much baking powder. Be sure to measure carefully, and keep a close eye on it in the oven! You want the batter to just be fluffy and set. It will continue to bake and set as it cools.
Yes, because of the candy in the center, this cake will be a little extra moist or chewy. However, the batter should not be rubbery at all.
If your cake turns out dense, it’s likely because the batter was overmixed or it was overcooked.
More Easy Mug Cake Recipes
Treat yourself to a different flavor of mug cake every day of the week with more indulgent recipes!
- Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake
- Oreo Cookies and Cream Mug Cake
- Monster Cookie Mug Cake
- Easy Double Chocolate Mug Cake
Chocolate Hazelnut Mug Cake Recipe
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 Ferrero Rocher
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Add all the ingredients except the Ferrero Rocher to a large oven-safe mug. Whisk just until no streaks remain. Be careful not to overmix!
- Gently press the Ferrero Rocher into the center of the batter.
- Place the mug on top of a baking sheet, and bake 15-18 minutes or until the batter is set. Do not overbake!
- Let cool for 1 minute, and enjoy!