Espresso Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate is the richest, creamiest, most delicious hot chocolate you’ll ever taste! Made with just 6 ingredients, it’s perfect for snow days, movie nights, holiday parties, and more. Top it off with marshmallows or whipped cream for the best cold-weather drink!
Table of Contents
Why We Love this Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
There’s nothing more comforting than a warm cup of hot chocolate on a cold day. In fact, our families love it so much, we often find ourselves making multiple batches! Until now. We took standard hot chocolate recipes and took them to the next level with this decadent espresso slow cooker hot chocolate! Here are just a few reasons why we love it (and know you will, too):
- It comes together with just 6 simple ingredients
- All you have to do is dump the ingredients in your slow cooker and come back later. No standing over the stovetop required!
- Featuring espresso, it has an elevated flavor and provides a boost of caffeine for extra energy.
- One batch is perfect for feeding a big crowd!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll be surprised at how just a handful of simple ingredients can create the richest, most decadent slow cooker hot chocolate! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Whole Milk – Making hot chocolate with milk, particularly whole milk, is the secret to creating a rich taste.
- Heavy Cream – Included for an even creamy texture.
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder forms the base of the chocolate flavor and provides a boost of antioxidants!
- Sugar – Adjust the sugar to suit your flavor preferences. For a lower-calorie option, swap it out with Stevia or Swerve instead.
- Dark Chocolate – Melted into the mixture, dark chocolate makes for an even more indulgent flavor. Just make sure it’s a high-quality brand like Lindt or Ghiradelli!
- Espresso – Use a fully brewed espresso shot. Regular or decaf both taste great.
How to Make Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
This espresso slow cooker hot chocolate is so easy, we can barely call it a recipe. However, it’s so good not sharing it would be selfish! Here’s what to do:
- Create the Hot Chocolate Base. Add the whole milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, sugar, and espresso to your slow cooker. Whisk until they are well combined and smooth.
- Add the Dark Chocolate. Stir in the chocolate.
- Cook. Cover the slow cooker, and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Serve. Whisk the ingredients again, divide the slow cooker hot chocolate into mugs, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy warm!
You could definitely serve this slow cooker hot chocolate on its own, but we like to make it a little extra with all the best toppings! Some of our favorites include:
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Chips
- Candy Canes
- Chocolate Shavings
Then, pair it with dipping options like:
- Chocolate Truffles
- S’mores Cookies
- Cookies ‘n Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Andes Mints
- Wafer Cookies
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope! The slow cooker will be set to low to allow the ingredients to heat up together without actually cooking the milk.
Yes. Your slow cooker hot chocolate will still be delicious, it just won’t be as creamy or as rich.
Sure! If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can make this recipe in a large dutch oven or pot. Just add all of the ingredients, and let them cook on low until they are melted and well combined, stirring frequently.
More Recipes Perfect for the Holidays
If you’re preparing this slow cooker hot chocolate for festive celebrations, you won’t want to miss out on more of our favorite holiday recipes below!
- Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- S’mores Graham Cracker Toffee Bars
- Caramel Macchiato Cinnamon Rolls
- Cannoli Baked French Toast
Espresso Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces high-quality dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup espresso shot decaf or regular
- Optional: Marshmallows for serving
- In the bowl of the slow cooker, add the whole milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, and granulated sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chocolate, and stir.
- Cover, and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid, and stir again until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the hot chocolate into mugs, top with marshmallows, if using, and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.