This creamy and rich hot cocoa recipe is so simple to make and is perfect for a crowd. We add some peppermint candy canes to give it a touch of mint without being overpowering!
Forget boxed or packaged hot chocolate mix. This silky smooth hot cocoa recipe is so easy to make. All you do is add all the ingredients in the slow cooker and set it! Keep it on the warm setting if you are serving over the holidays!
How to make a slow cooker hot cocoa
- In a 6 qt slow cooker. Add candy canes, chocolate bar, milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract.
- Set it for 2 hours on low.
- After 1 hour, whisk well to make sure everything is smooth and creamy. Make sure to stir from time to time to prevent burning.
- Keep on warm setting when you are ready to serve.
Will the milk curdle in the slow cooker?
This does not curdle since it is on such a low setting! It becomes nice and velvety.
Mint: If you do not want this to be a peppermint flavor, substitute the candy canes with 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
Chocolate. This recipe works well with chocolate chips as well. For a sweeter hot cocoa recipe, feel free to use milk chocolate chips. For a more depth of flavor, use a good quality dark chocolate.
Nutella. Add 1/4 cup to give it a hazelnut flavor.
Peanut Butter. Add 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter. We suggest the processed stuff
Salted Caramel. 1/4 cup jar caramel sauce and sea salt flakes.
Heavy Cream. If you do not have heavy cream, feel free to use 1 can or evaporated milk.
How to make non-dairy hot cocoa
Milk. Substitute with your favorite non-dairy milk. Use coconut cream for the heavy cream.
Chocolate: Use non-dairy chocolate chips .
How to make a hot cocoa bar
Set the slow cooker on low setting to stay warm.
Have a table setting with mugs, and add bowls of marshmallows, candy canes, mini chocolate chips, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and crushed candy canes.
Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Cocoa (Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe)
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 16-20 mini peppermint candy canes
- 10 oz good quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- marshmallows for serving
- In a 6-qt slow cooker add candy canes, chocolate bar, milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
- Set on low for 2 hours. After 1 hour, give it a good whisk. Stir until it comes together and is nice and smooth. *Tip: Be sure to stir from time to time to make sure the bottom does not burn.
- Leave on the warm setting when you are ready to serve. Serve with your choice of marshmallows