Parmesan Oven Roasted Carrots are a nutritious side dish full of the best flavor! Coated with rich butter, warm spices, savory Parmesan cheese, and crispy Panko breadcrumbs, they’re baked until tender and sweet. Prepare them in under an hour for holiday parties, weeknight dinners, and every special occasion in between!
Table of Contents
We love Parmesan Potatoes and Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts. So, in an effort to incorporate more veggies at the dinner table, we decided to make Parmesan roasted baby carrots, too! Honestly, our only regret is that we didn’t do it sooner.
Crispy on the outside, soft and tender in the center, and rich in savory flavor, they’re completely irresistible. And the best part is they’re easy to make. We’ve always enjoyed Oven Roasted Whole Carrots with Tahini, but we have to admit that this vibrant veggie has been seriously lacking in our dinner rotation. Until now thanks to this roasted baby carrots recipe! They’re our new favorite way to enjoy veggies!
We’ve been making them on repeat and don’t plan on stopping any time soon. Even the kids devoured them completely! They’re so good you won’t even feel like you’re eating your veggies.
Why You’ll Love Parmesan Oven Roasted Carrots
- Less than 10 simple ingredients are all you need.
- The ingredients come together in a single baking dish, meaning these baked carrots are quick to prepare and even easier to clean up.
- They pair well with all your favorite main dishes.
- Carrots are loaded with vitamins, nutrients, and fiber to keep you full.
- It’s super affordable.
- Carrots can be purchased up to 2-3 weeks in advance and stored in the fridge until you need them.
- The entire dish has a total cooking time of under an hour.
Health Benefits of Carrots
Not only are fresh carrots super budget-friendly and easy to find, but they’re so good for you, too! For instance, they’re:
- High in fiber
- A low-glycemic food
- Rich in vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin K, and potassium
As a result, consuming carrots as part of a healthy diet can help reduce the risk of cancer, lower blood cholesterol, improve eye health, and aid with weight loss.
Ingredients You’ll Need
As mentioned, these oven-roasted carrots come together with just a handful of simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Unsalted Butter – This is crucial for the rest of the ingredients to cling to the carrots. In addition, it makes for the best rich taste!
- Herbs and Spices – Smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, oregano, and parsley combine to create a bold, savory flavor with just a hint of spice.
- Parmesan Cheese – Everything tastes better with cheese! Use freshly grated Parmesan for the best results.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – Not found in your typical oven roasted carrots recipe, these create a crisp breading with tons of flavor. You can find pre-made varieties in your local grocery store. Or, make your own homemade panko breadcrumbs!
- Raw Carrots – Many people prefer to use whole carrots for oven roasted recipes. However, to save tons of time, we opt for the bags of baby carrots in the refrigerated section of any grocery store. They still turn out with a super sweet flavor, and you don’t have to spend hours choppings!
How to Make Parmesan Oven Roasted Carrots
You’re not gonna believe how easy this roasted baby carrots recipe is to make! All you have to do is toss the ingredients together and pop them in the oven. Then, prepare the rest of your meal as they bake. Here’s what to do:
- Make the Coating. Add the melted butter, seasonings, Parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs to a large baking dish. Mix to combine.
- Add the Carrots. Arrange the baby carrots in a single layer on top.
- Bake. Place the baking dish in the oven until the carrots are fork-tender and the Parmesan is crisp. We want to use a high temperature for this roasted carrot recipe. This helps them cook quickly so the coating doesn’t burn.
Naturally sweet, carrots take on the flavor of whatever they’re paired with. That means that you can mix and match a wide variety of ingredients, and they’ll still taste great! So, feel free to experiment with different combinations. For instance, some of our favorite variations include:
- Making it Extra Spicy. Add a dash or two of chili powder, cumin, or cinnamon. Or, use all three for savory carrots.
- Omitting the Spice. Leave out the smoked paprika completely, and add extra fresh herbs like fresh thyme, fresh parsley, fresh rosemary, or oregano instead.
- Drizzling Balsamic. Use as little or as much as you’d like, drizzling it over your oven roasted carrots just before serving.
- Adding Garlic. We always have stored garlic on hand, because it makes everything better! Add ½-1 teaspoon of minced garlic to the butter mixture before baking.
- Using Honey, Maple Syrup, or Brown Sugar. Create a savory, sweet element with a drizzle of one or the other to enhance the natural flavor and create glazed carrots.
- Swapping the Butter. Use extra virgin olive oil in place of the melted butter for a super healthy
How to Store
This oven roasted baby carrots recipe makes for a delicious side dish to add to your weekly
Refrigerator: Once fully cooled, roasted carrots can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, arrange your carrots in an even layer on a greased sheet pan. Then, cook them at 400° Fahrenheit for just a few minutes. Be careful not to let them burn in the hot oven! If preferred, you can warm them in a skillet or the microwave instead. They just won’t be quite as crisp.
Common Questions About This Oven Roasted Baby Carrots Recipe
If your carrots are tough, it’s likely because they haven’t been baked long enough. Just pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes, and they should become tender and delicious.
No! We use baby carrots, meaning they’ve already been peeled and cut. All you have to do is dump them in the baking dish.
Absolutely! Many people believe whole carrots have a bolder taste and better texture. Just slice them into diagonal pieces, and add them to the baking dish. You may need to add extra baking time if your carrots are extra thick.
Sure! Pick veggies with a similar roasting time so that all the veggies cook evenly. For example, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and cauliflower all work well.
Anything you’d like! These oven roasted baby carrots pair well with all your favorite main courses. Some of our favorite pairing options include Hummus with Meat, Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Potatoes, Roast Chicken, and Phyllo Spinach Pie.
Yes! We love to roast carrots for a side dish the whole family can enjoy at all our holiday dinner gatherings. Even the picky eaters can’t get enough!
More Side Dish Recipes
Looking for more family-friendly side dishes? Don’t miss out on more of these great recipes:
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potatoe Fries
- Chickpea and Cucumber Tahini Salad
- Burrata with Roasted Tomatoes and Za’atar Pita
- Green Salad
Parmesan Oven Roasted Carrots Recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 32 ounces baby carrots
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Add the melted butter, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, Parmesan, and panko breadcrumbs to a 13×9 baking dish. Mix to combine.
- Arrange the carrots in an even layer on top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the carrots are tender, and enjoy warm!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.