Two appetizers in one, this Olive Tapenade Bruschetta is an irresistible combination of salty, briny flavor and crisp, crunchy bread. A crowd-pleasing vegetarian appetizer, it’s great to make ahead of time and perfect to serve on every occasion!
What Does Tapenade Mean?
Tapenade is the name for a type of spread that is made primarily out of chopped olives, capers, or anchovies. Originally from the Provence area of France, it’s savory, salty, and briny in flavor.
Is Olive Tapenade Bruschetta Good for You?
As far as dips and appetizers go, olive tapenade is pretty darn healthy! Full of tomatoes, herbs, and olives, it’s full of fiber, nutrients, and healthy fats, this olive tapenade bruschetta is a good option for snacking!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this olive tapenade bruschetta, we elevated simple bruschetta with extra toppings! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ciabatta Bread – Any thick, crusty bread would work.
- Olive Oil – Used to add extra flavor and create a crisp texture on the bread.
- Tomatoes – This adds a pop of color and extra flavor to the olive tapenade.
- Garlic – This is our secret to the best bruschetta you’ll ever taste! Make sure you opt for whole garlic cloves, or it won’t work.
- Lemon Juice – We recommend using freshly squeezed lemon juice, but pre-made lemon juice would work as well.
- Chopped Basil – This adds a light, herbaceous flavor.
- Balsamic Vinegar – Used to create a bold, savory, slightly sweet flavor.
- Salt and Pepper – Add as much or as little as you’d like.
- Olive Tapenade – For the easiest appetizer ever, we use pre-made olive tapenade, but you could also make your own with a recipe like this!
Feel free to mix and match different ingredients and toppings to make this recipe fit your needs. Some of our favorite variations include:
- Substitute fresh oregano for basil.
- Using colored tomatoes.
- Add fresh mint.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and/or balsamic glaze.
How to Make Olive Tapenade Bruschetta
This olive tapenade bruschetta is super quick and easy to make. Here’s what to do:
- Prepare the Bread. Slice the bread at an angle into 1-inch thick pieces. Place it on a baking sheet, and drizzle it with olive oil. Then, bake it until it is toasted and crispy.
- Add the Garlic. Peel the garlic, and rub the exposed end on the toasted bread.
- Prepare the Topping. Add the remaining ingredients except for the prepared tapenade to a bowl, and stir to combine.
- Assemble the Bruschetta. Spread the tomato mixture over the bread. Then, add a spoonful of the olive tapenade on top.
How to Serve
If you don’t want to use ciabatta, this tapenade tastes fantastic spread over chicken or fish! We love to serve this olive tapenade bruschetta as a tasty appetizer or finger food snack alongside meals like:
Make Ahead Options
We do not recommend making the complete bruschetta ahead of time, because the bread will become soggy. However, you can prepare the topping up to 2 days in advance, and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Easy Appetizers
Looking for more crowd-pleasing appetizers? Take a look at more of our favorites below!
- Moroccan Zaalouk Recipe
- White Bean Dip with Roasted Tomatoes
- Fried Burrata with Romesco Sauce
- Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes with Yogurt Dip
Olive Tapenade Bruschetta
- 1 loaf round ciabatta bread (sliced)
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons prepared olive tapenade
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Slice the ciabatta bread at an angle into 1-inch thick pieces. Place it in a large baking sheet. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until toasted and crispy.
- Peel the garlic clove. Rub the garlic clove on the toasted ciabatta bread.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the ciabatta on a large platter. Top with the tomatoes. Add a small spoonful of olive tapenade on top.
- Serve immediately.