The best weeknight dinner, Creamy Parmesan Chicken comes together in a single skillet in less than 30 minutes! Serve it with pasta, rice, veggies, and more for a satisfying meal the whole family will adore.
Why You’ll Love Creamy Parmesan Chicken
There’s nothing better than a quick chicken recipe for an easy weeknight dinner…unless it’s made in one dish! Comforting and delicious, this creamy Parmesan chicken recipe checks off all our boxes when it comes to a recipe we know the whole family will enjoy. For instance, it’s:
- High-protein and full of flavor.
- Created with minimal prep work and easy cleanup.
- Great to make in bulk to serve large crowds or enjoy throughout the week.
- Super tasty served with pasta, potatoes, rice, and more!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Rich and flavorful, this chicken dish comes together with 11 budget-friendly ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts work best for this dish. If desired, you can also use thighs. Just make sure to pound them out thin!
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, and fresh parsley help enhance the rest of the ingredients.
- Butter – Butter is melted down to form the base of the creamy sauce and provide a decadent flavor.
- Flour – Used to create a sort of roux and help thicken the sauce.
- Garlic – We recommend using fresh garlic cloves and mincing them into tiny pieces. However, to save time, you can find pre-minced varieties as well.
- Broth – We use chicken broth, but vegetable broth works, too. To help control the flavor, we recommend using low-sodium varieties to avoid overpowering the dish.
- Heavy Cream – This is the secret to creating a creamy, irresistible sauce!
- Parmesan Cheese – If you can, buy a block of cheese and grate it yourself. Trust us, the flavor makes a world of difference!
- Olive Oil – This helps cook the chicken, keeping it moist.
How to Make Creamy Parmesan Chicken
This creamy parmesan chicken looks like a fancy meal straight from the kitchen of a high-end restaurant, but it’s super simple to make at home!
- Prepare the Chicken. Place the chicken breasts in a large bag, and use a meat mallet to pound it out into thin, even pieces. Then, season each side generously.
- Cook the Chicken. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, flipping it over halfway through until it is fully cooked and seared on either side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Create the Sauce. In the same skillet, add the butter and garlic. Cook until fragrant, being careful not to let it burn. Add the flour, and cook, stirring continuously until it is slightly golden. Pour in the broth and heavy cream. Then, reduce the heat to medium, and whisk until the ingredients are well-combined and thickened.
- Season. Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the Parmesan and additional seasonings. Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Warm. Place the skillet back over medium-low heat, and let the ingredients simmer until the chicken is cooked through and warm.
- Garnish. Add a sprinkle of extra seasonings and cheese, and serve warm!
Don’t Skip Preparing the Chicken! This ensures they cook quickly and evenly, keeping them tender and moist. If you don’t have a meat mallet, a heavy skillet works just as well. Or, you can also slice the breasts into bite-sized pieces.
Adjust the Seasonings. Be sure to give your recipe taste tests while cooking, and adjust the seasonings as needed to suit your preferences.
Don’t Burn the Flour. You’ll want to keep a close eye on your dry flour in the skillet, letting it cook just until it is heated through and beginning to turn golden. Any longer, and it will clump up and burn!
This creamy parmesan chicken is one of the most versatile dishes we’ve ever made! Of course, you can enjoy it on its own, but we love to serve it over zucchini noodles, pasta, mashed potatoes, rice, or risotto.
You can also mix veggies like mushrooms, onions, peas, and broccoli into the skillet to add extra nutrients and fiber, making this a well-rounded meal!
How to Store
This recipe is great to make ahead of time and can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for 3-5 days. Then, to warm it up, pop it in the microwave for a few minutes. Or, place it back in a skillet over medium heat until it is heated through. Unfortunately, it doesn’t freeze well. So, we don’t recommend making it more than a day or two in advance.
Creamy Parmesan Chicken Common Questions
Yes and no. The names are commonly used to refer to the same dish. However, for cheese to be classified as Parmigiano-romano, it must come from specific regions of Italy, be made with specific ingredients, and be aged for at least one year. Parmesan on the other hand is not well-regulated and can be aged for as little as 10 months.
The best way to tell your chicken is done is to use an instant-read thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
Sure, to make this creamy parmesan chicken gluten-free, swap out the flour with a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour instead.
Yes! Just reduce the cooking time as needed as most fish cooks extremely quickly.
More Scrumptious Chicken Recipes
Looking for more easy chicken options? We’ve got you covered with the options below!
Creamy Parmesan Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the chicken in a large sealable bag, and use a mallet to pound it into 4 thin, even pieces. Season both sides of the breasts generously with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the breasts are seared and reach an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant. Add the flour, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until the flour is a light golden brown color, stirring frequently.
- Pour the broth and heavy cream into the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium, and whisk continuously until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the Parmesan, paprika, salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Add the chicken and its juices back to the skillet. Place it back over medium-low heat, and let the ingredients simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken has heated through.
- Garnish with fresh Italian parsley and extra Parmesan cheese. Serve warm!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.