Skip the overpriced store-bought pints of ice cream, and make your own instead with this easy Mocha Oreo No Churn Ice Cream recipe! Sweet and creamy, it’s super easy to make with no ice cream maker required! Loaded with mocha coffee flavor, chunks of Oreo cookies, indulgent chocolate or caramel swirl, it’s a dessert dream come true.
Table of Contents
What Is No Churn Ice Cream & How Does It Work?
No churn ice cream is a type of ice cream that doesn’t require an ice cream maker or any special equipment like what you’d find in your local ice cream shop. Instead, no churn varieties are simple to make and only require a few items.
The basic ingredients needed include heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk. You won’t find any eggs! Instead, the cream is whipped until stiff peaks form, and the sweetened condensed milk is folded in to create the rich flavor and creamy consistency you look for in ice cream. From that point, you can add in all your favorite flavors and mix-ins! Then, all that’s left to do is place it in the freezer.
Because it’s so simple, no churn ice cream is popular for those who don’t have an ice cream maker or just want to make smaller batches of their favorite flavor to enjoy at home. Plus, it’s a super fun way to experiment in the kitchen!
What’s In This Mocha Oreo Ice Cream Recipe?
You already know we had to go all out with our own no churn ice cream. After all, go big, or go home! We loaded it up with all kinds of decadent flavors. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Heavy Cream – This forms the base of the ice cream, making it light and fluffy.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Used to create a sweet flavor and creamy texture.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Mixed into the ice cream base, this helps make a classic chocolate ice cream base.
- Instant Espresso Powder – Used to create a mocha flavor. If preferred, use decaf espresso powder.
- Sea Salt – Don’t skip this! It’s crucial to enhance the flavors and lower the freezing point helping it solidify more quickly.
- Oreo Cookies – We use classic Oreos, and break them into pieces. Feel free to mix and match different varieties!
- Chocolate or Caramel Sauce – This is drizzled into the mixture to create a swirl of tasty goodness.
How to Make Creamy No Churn Ice Cream
We described part of the process above, but we’ll break down how to make homemade no churn ice cream step-by-step. It’s so simple, you’re pretty much guaranteed to have success!
- Prepare. Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, letting it hang off both edges and set it aside.
- Create the Ice Cream Base. Add the heavy cream, condensed milk, cocoa powder, espresso, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low until the ingredients are well combined. Once the mixture is smooth, gradually increase the speed, beating until soft peaks form.
- Add Mix-Ins. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the Oreo pieces.
- Layer. Pour half the cream mixture into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it out evenly. Then, drizzle your chocolate or caramel sauce on top. Use a knife to swirl it around gently. Pour the remaining ice cream mixture on top followed by the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Freeze. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap, and place it in the freezer overnight.
- Serve. Let your mocha Oreo ice cream sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes to soften. Then, use an ice cream scoop to portion it out, and enjoy!
The great thing about making your own no churn ice cream at home is that you can create any flavor you like! Mix and match all your favorite add-ins to recreate your favorite store-bought option. Or, make a new flavor all on your own! Some of our favorite variations include:
- Vanilla – Use the base of heavy cream and condensed milk. Then, just add 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and salt.
- Cookie Dough – Create a vanilla or chocolate base, and fold in your favorite edible cookie dough chunks.
- Mint Chocolate Chip – Include peppermint extract, a few drops of green food coloring, and chocolate chips. For an extra minty flavor, you can add fresh minced mint leaves, too.
- Rockey Road – Create the chocolate ice cream base. Then, fold in almonds or chocolate-covered almonds and mini marshmallows.
We don’t blame you if you dig into this mocha Oreo no churn ice cream right from the loaf pan with a spoon! However, if you can wait a few minutes to portion it out, it can be served:
- In a bowl topped with extra chocolate or caramel sauce and whipped cream.
- Stuffed into a cake or waffle cone.
- Between two of your favorite cookies for an ice cream sandwich.
Common Questions About No Churn Ice Cream
No. The main difference between the two is that no churn ice cream is made without eggs and is not cooked. Instead sweetened condensed milk replaces granulated sugar for the same sweet taste.
We haven’t tested it, but we have seen some no churn ice cream recipes made vegan or dairy-free by swapping the heavy cream with canned coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk. Then, they’re sweetened with date paste instead of sweetened condensed milk.
Once frozen, no churn ice cream will last in the freezer for 1-2 weeks. Make sure it’s covered tightly or stored in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
If you enjoy this Mocha Oreo No Churn Ice Cream, you won’t want to miss out on more of our homemade ice cream recipes below!
- Homemade Cotton Candy Ice Cream
- Easy No Churn Biscoff Ice Cream
- Copycat The Tonight Dough Ice Cream
- Fried Ice Cream
Mocha Oreo No Churn Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 10-12 Oreo Cookies roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chocolate or caramel sauce
- Sea salt flakes for garnish
- Line a 10×5 loaf pan with plastic wrap, letting it hang over the sides.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, instant espresso, and salt. Mix on low until combined.
- Gradually increase the speed, beating until soft peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the Oreo pieces.
- Pour half the cream mixture into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the chocolate or caramel sauce on top. Using the tip of a knife, swirl it around gently.
- Add the remaining cream mixture, and swirl the rest of the sauce on top. Add a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze overnight.
- Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften before serving.
- Store covered or in an airtight container in the freezer for 1-2 weeks.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.