This Copycat The Tonight Dough Ice Cream recipe has all the rich flavor and brownie and cookie chunks of classic Ben & Jerry’s ice cream at half the cost! Keep a big batch in your freezer at all times for whenever a craving strikes!
Table of Contents
We have a confession! With recipes like Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies and Double Chocolate Bundt Cake, it’s pretty obvious we have a heavy sweet tooth and adore decadent desserts. In fact, we pretty much always have a batch of something on hand!
However, we have to admit that we still buy a pint of Ben & Jerry’s pretty much every time we go to the grocery store. You can relate, right? After all, who can resist that creamy goodness? Especially when they have soooo many flavors to choose from! Those little pints can get pretty pricey though and aren’t exactly great for the budget.
So, instead of giving up one of our favorite treats, we decided to make it at home instead! Our Copycat The Tonight Dough Ice Cream is just as good, if not better than the original, and even better, it’s super easy to make!
Why You’ll Love Homemade The Tonight Dough Ice Cream
- It tastes just like the real deal.
- You can make a big batch for the price of a small store-bought pint.
- It comes together in minutes and freezes in no time.
- You can easily adjust the amount of add-ins including, using more or less to satisfy your tastebuds!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The ingredients needed for this homemade Tonight Dough Ice Cream are ultra-decadent but easy to make and find!
- Milk Way Candy Bars – Use full-size candy bars, and chop them into pieces. If you want to get crazy, you could opt for the various flavors to switch it up!
- Heavy Cream – Used to create the Milk Way ganache and a creamy dulce de leche layer for a richer flavor and store-bought texture.
- Espresso – Used to enhance the dulce de leche and chocolate flavors.
- Dulce de Leche – You can find this pre-made from the store, or make your own homemade dulce de leche!
- Brownies – Of course, you can use any pre-made brownies you like best, but we’ve found this copycat The Tonight Dough Ice Cream tastes best with homemade brownies.
- Cookie Dough – To make sure your ice cream is safe-to-eat, use pre-made cookie dough from the refrigerated section of your local grocery store.
How to Make Copycat The Tonight Dough Ice Cream
If you’ve ever shied away from making your own ice cream because you didn’t want to drag out the ice cream maker and spend hours grinding ingredients, this Tonight Dough is just the recipe for you! Combined in a loaf pan, it comes together in minutes with no ice cream maker required.
- Make the Milk Way Stripe. In a microwave-safe bowl, add the Milky Way and heavy cream. Microwave for 1 minute, stir until the ingredients are well combined, and set aside.
- Form the Caramel Portion. In a large mixing bowl, add the remaining heavy cream, espresso, and dulce de leche. Use a hand mixer to whip the ingredients together until they’re smooth and soft peaks begin to form.
- Layer the Ingredients. Spread half the dulce de leche mixture in a loaf pan. Drizzle the Milky Way ganache on top followed by chunks of cookie dough and brownies. Then, top the mixture with the remaining dulce de leche. We like to sprinkle extra sea flakes on top, too!
- Freeze. Carefully transfer your loaf pan to the freezer, and let your ice cream set and solidify overnight.
How to Store
Once formed and frozen, this homemade The Tonight Dough Ice Cream can be transferred to a freezer-safe, airtight container and stored in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Any longer than that, and the texture tends to change and become a bit icy. Honestly, it never lasts that long, though!
Of course, you can just serve this Tonight Dough Ice Cream in a bowl or just eat it right from the tub. However, if you want to get creative, some other serving options include:
- Adding it to a waffle or cake cone.
- Sandwiching it between two chocolate chip cookies or brownies.
- Using it to make the world’s most decadent milkshake.
- Making a complete sundae with whipped cream, sprinkles, and a cherry.
More Ice Cream-Inspired Recipes
Looking for more homemade ice cream recipes? Try out some of our favorites below!
- Homemade Cotton Candy Ice Cream
- No Churn Biscoff Ice Cream
- Fried Ice Cream
- Billy Miner Ice Cream Pie
The Tonight Dough Ice Cream (Copycat Recipe)
- 2 large Milky Way candy bars chopped
- 2 1/3 cups cold heavy cream divided
- 2 Tablespoons cold espresso
- 1 can dulche de leche
- 2 large brownies chopped
- 1 cup edible cookie dough rolled into balls
- Optional: sea salt flakes
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the Milk Way bars and ⅓ cup heavy cream. Microwave for 1 minute, and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the remaining heavy cream, espresso, and dulce de leche. Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients until they’re well-combined and soft peaks begin to form. Set aside.
- Pour half the dulce de leche mixture into a loaf pan. Drizzle the Milk Way ganache on top. Crumble the cookie dough and brownie chunks over the mixture, and pour the remaining dulce de leche on top. Add a sprinkle of sea salt flakes, if desired.
- Freeze overnight, and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.