Mediterranean Tuna Salad Sandwich is a nutritious, flavorful meal you can whip up in minutes! A mayo-free tuna salad recipe, it’s savory, herbaceous, and full of protein.
Table of Contents
- Why This Mediterranean Tuna Salad Will Leave You Coming Back for More
- What’s In Mediterranean Tuna Salad?
- How to Make the Best Mediterranean Tuna Salad Sandwich in 3 Steps
- Serving Suggestions
- How Long Does It Last?
- Common Questions About This Mediterranean Tuna Salad Recipe
- More Mediterranean-Inspired Recipes
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe Recipe
Why This Mediterranean Tuna Salad Will Leave You Coming Back for More
We love a classic creamy tuna salad sandwich, but do you know what we love even more? One that’s Mediterranean-inspired!
This mayo-free Mediterranean tuna salad recipe is unlike anything you’ve ever tasted. Just as easy as the original recipe, it’s:
- Ready to eat in minutes.
- Made with simple, nutritious ingredients.
- Completely mayonnaise-free and gives a boost of flavor with lots of fresh herbs.
- High-protein, full of healthy fats, and rich in fiber.
What’s In Mediterranean Tuna Salad?
You won’t find any traditional tuna salad sandwich ingredients in this recipe – other than tuna, of course. Instead, we use a variety of fresh ingredients to create a unique taste and texture you’ll adore.
Here’s what you need:
- Tuna – Use any canned tuna you like best, and make sure to drain it well.
- Vegetables – Jalapeño, red onion, celery, Persian cucumbers, and chives are included for lots of crunch, a refreshing taste, and just a hint of heat.
- Hummus – We love to use our homemade healthy hummus, but store-bought varieties taste great, too. Try experimenting with different flavors to find your favorite!
- Olives – We love the tangy flavor that Kalamata olives contribute. However, if you aren’t an olive fan, feel free to omit them completely.
- Seasonings – Salt, black pepper, and Greek seasoning, create a bold, bright taste.
- Lime Juice – Use freshly squeezed lime juice (not bottled lime juice) to help cut through the fats, and add a bright, zesty flavor for a well-rounded tuna salad.
- Bread – Technically optional, we love to serve this Mediterranean tuna salad as a sandwich with thick, crusty bread or pita.
How to Make the Best Mediterranean Tuna Salad Sandwich in 3 Steps
Recipes don’t get easier than this! All it takes is a few simple steps and a couple of minutes, and you’ll be ready to eat.
- Combine. Add all the ingredients for the tuna salad to a large bowl.
- Mix. Gently mix to combine and coat all of the ingredients with hummus.
- Serve. Add the mixture to your favorite bread to form a sandwich, and enjoy!
If you want something a little on the lighter side, try serving this Mediterranean tuna salad in lettuce cups instead of bread. Then, enjoy it on its own or with sides like:
- Easy Fruit Salad
- Spiraled Cucumber Yogurt Salad
- Za’atar Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Whipped Feta with Roasted Peppers
How Long Does It Last?
For the best results, we recommend storing your tuna salad on its own and assembling the sandwiches just before serving. Otherwise, they’re likely to become soggy!
Transfer your tuna salad to an airtight container, and keep it stored in the fridge for two to three days. Then, just give it a good stir to redistribute the ingredients before digging in.
Common Questions About This Mediterranean Tuna Salad Recipe
We recommend using light albacore tuna because it has a firm texture that holds up well when combined with the other ingredients. Use tuna that has been packed in either water or oil depending on your preferences.
Anything you want! Feel free to bulk it up with extra ingredients like avocado, chickpeas, bell peppers, orzo, sun-dried tomatoes, or even feta cheese.
This recipe is healthy in our book, especially if you swap out the bread for lettuce wraps! It’s a great source of protein, healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, and nutrients for a recipe you can feel good about. Of course, be sure to consult your doctor with any specific questions or concerns.
More Mediterranean-Inspired Recipes
Looking for more ways to incorporate Mediterranean flavors into your meals? Try out some of the recipes below!
- Oven Baked Mediterranean
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Mediterranean Mezze Platter
Mediterranean Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 3 2.5 ounce packets of tuna
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1/2 cup creamy hummus
- 1/4 cup red onion soaked in water for a few minutes, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons chives
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 small Persian cucumber diced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- Bread or lettuce cups for serving optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the following ingredients: tuna, diced jalapeño, creamy hummus, soaked red onion, sliced Kalamata olives, salt, pepper, Greek seasoning, chives, diced celery stalks, diced Persian cucumber, and lime juice.3 2.5 ounce packets of tuna, 1 jalapeño, 1/2 cup creamy hummus, 1/4 cup red onion, 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning, 2 Tablespoons chives, 2 celery stalks, 1 small Persian cucumber, 1/2 lime
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl thoroughly, ensuring an even distribution of flavors.
- If desired, you serve the tuna and hummus mixture in bread slices for sandwiches or in lettuce cups for a lighter option.Bread or lettuce cups for serving
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.