Your appetizer game is about to become next-level with this honey whipped ricotta featuring a sweet twist of roasted dates! This tangy dip has the most luscious creamy consistency. Then, it’s topped with a generous drizzle of honey and a crown of perfectly caramelized dates. There is no doubt that this easy and elegant appetizer will leave your guests impressed!
Table of Contents
- What Is Honey Whipped Ricotta?
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- Whip It Good! How to Make Honey Whipped Ricotta with Roasted Dates
- Serving Suggestions
- Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
- Common Questions About Honey Whipped Ricotta with Roasted Dates
- More Ways to Use Ricotta
- Honey Whipped Ricotta with Roasted Dates Recipe
What Is Honey Whipped Ricotta?
Honey whipped ricotta is made with a base of ricotta cheese and heavy cream. The two are blended until light and fluffy.
Then, we add a touch of honey for a hint of sweetness that balances out the tangy flavor of the cheese. The end result is a fabulous spread that can be topped with a variety of items, spread over crostini, or used with your favorite dippers!
Made with minimal prep time, it’s a quick recipe full of sweet, savory, tangy flavors and a boost of nutrients, too.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ricotta Cheese – Use full-fat varieties for the best taste and texture.
- Heavy Cream – This helps create a creamy consistency while enhancing the rich flavor.
- Honey – Adjust to taste. If preferred, maple syrup will also work.
- Dates – We recommend using Medjool dates. Make sure to slice them in half, and remove the pits before you begin.
- Brown Sugar – This helps sweeten the dates, creating a beautiful caramelization. Granulated sugar will not work.
- Olive Oil – This enhances the caramelization and adds a bright, slightly peppery taste.
- Salt – Adjust to taste.
- Garnish – We l ike to include an extra drizzle of honey and crushed walnuts for added flavor and texture. It’s totally optional but highly recommended!
Whip It Good! How to Make Honey Whipped Ricotta with Roasted Dates
- Make the honey whipped ricotta. Add the ricotta, heavy cream, and honey to the bowl of a food processor or bender. Blend until a smooth, fluffy consistency is achieved.
- Prepare the dates. Combine the sliced and pitted dates, brown sugar, olive oil, and salt in a mixing bowl, tossing to combine and coat the dates.
- Roast the dates. Arrange the fruit in an even layer on a baking sheet. Transfer the mixture to a preheated oven, and roast roast until the dates caramelize and soften. Be careful not to let them burn! Set them aside to cool slightly.
- Assemble. Spoon the ricotta on a serving platter, and arrange the roasted dates on top. Drizzle any leftover olive oil and sugar on top, if desired, and enjoy!
Believe us when we say this recipe is not just a one-trick pony – it’s a versatile star ready to shine in different roles! Sure, you can let it steal the spotlight on its own, playing the lead as an appetizer or dessert. But guess what? The culinary adventure doesn’t end there – it’s time to spread the joy, literally!
Pair it with dippers like chips, pita, or crackers for dipping. Grab some crusty bread and warm it up to dip, or try other ideas, too — experiment and discover which pairings you like best.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
This recipe is best served right away. However, if you want to prepare ahead of time or have leftovers you can store the honey whipped ricotta and roasted dates in separate airtight containers.
The ricotta dip will stay fresh in the fridge for up to three to four days. The dates will stay fresh for about a week.
When you’re ready to eat, allow the ingredients to come to room temperature. Then, spread the ricotta over a platter, arrange the dates on top, and enjoy.
Common Questions About Honey Whipped Ricotta with Roasted Dates
It is possible that your ricotta was runny to start. If your cheese looks watery, try draining it over a cheesecloth before you begin.
Or, you may have added too much cream. Either way, you can simply add more ricotta, and bend the mixture again!
Dry or low-fat ricotta cheese will have a grainy consistency. To avoid this, look for high-quality, full-fat varieties will simple ingredients.
The most common reason for ricotta dip to turn out lumpy or grainy is using low-fat ricotta. This is why it’s so important to use full-fat varieties!
Try adding an extra splash of cream and blending the dip again to smooth out some of the graininess.
More Ways to Use Ricotta
- Whipped Ricotta Dip with Honey and Pistachios
- Baked Lasagna Rolls
- One Pot Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- Phyllo Cup Cannoli Bites
Honey Whipped Ricotta with Roasted Dates
For the Whipped Ricotta:
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon honey
For the Roasted Dates:
- 1 cup sliced and pitted Medjool dates
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- In a food processor or blender, combine 8 oz of ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup of heavy cream.8 ounces ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the mixture.1 Tablespoon honey
- Blend everything until a smooth and creamy consistency is achieved. This may take a minute or two, depending on the blender or food processor.
- Once the whipped ricotta is smooth, transfer it to a serving bowl, and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sliced and pitted dates with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of salt.1 cup sliced and pitted Medjool dates, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt
- Toss the dates in the mixture until they are well coated.
- Spread the coated dates evenly on a baking sheet or oven-safe dish.
- Place the dates in the preheated oven, and roast for 8-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn; they should become slightly caramelized and softened.
- Once the dates are done roasting, remove them from the oven, and let them cool slightly.
- Spoon the whipped ricotta mixture onto a serving plate or platter.
- Arrange the roasted dates on top of the whipped ricotta. Garnish with honey and crushed walnuts.
- Drizzle any leftover caramelized olive oil and sugar mixture from the roasted dates over the top for extra flavor if desired.
- Serve the honey whipped ricotta and roasted dates as a delicious appetizer or dessert. Pair it with toasted bread or crackers for added texture. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.