Grilled honey garlic chicken is sweet, savory, and unbelievably tender every single time. Prepare it in advance, and cook it on the grill in minutes for a restaurant-worthy dinner. Stove top option, too!
Table of Contents
- Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead?
- Fire Up the Grill: Mastering the Art of Irresistible Honey Garlic Chicken
- No Grill? No Problem! Learn How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken on the Stovetop
- What to Serve with Honey Garlic Grilled Chicken
- How to Store and Reheat
- More Craveable Chicken Recipes
- Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- Honey Garlic Marinade – For this, we use a combination of honey, soy sauce, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, grated ginger, and lemon juice. The flavor is sweet, savory, and finger-licking delicious!
- Chicken – Use boneless, skinless chicken tenders or chicken breasts.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead?
We prefer to use chicken breasts or tenderloins because they’re leaner and soak up the marinade better, letting the flavor shine through.
However, boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be used, if preferred. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as needed!
Fire Up the Grill: Mastering the Art of Irresistible Honey Garlic Chicken
- Prepare the marinade. In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade, whisking until smooth.
- Marinate the chicken. Place the chicken in a sealable bag or a shallow dish, and pour the marinade on top, coating each piece completely. Transfer the chicken to the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Note: For the best results, we recommend marinating the chicken for two hours. This helps infuse the protein with tons of flavor and keeps it extra juicy!
- Grill. Preheat the grill to medium heat, and make sure the grates are well-oiled. Then, grill the honey garlic chicken until it has nice grill marks and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip each piece over halfway through cooking.
- Add flavor. Baste the chicken with any remaining marinade during the cooking process for extra flavor. Just be sure not to use any that has come into contact with the raw chicken!
- Rest. Remove the chicken from the grill, and allow it to rest, redistributing the juices. Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds, and enjoy warm!
No Grill? No Problem! Learn How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken on the Stovetop
For baked chicken, follow the recipe card below, marinating as usual. Then, instead of heating the grill, grease a grill pan, and warm it over medium heat on the stove.
Cook the chicken on both sides until it is cooked through, basting it with leftover marinade. That’s it! You’re done and ready to dig in.
What to Serve with Honey Garlic Grilled Chicken
We love to serve our grilled honey garlic chicken over a bed of white rice with steamed veggies. However, it pairs well with all your favorite sides and appetizers!
Some additional pairing options include:
- Veggie Rice or Egg Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover honey garlic chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three to four days.
Once cooled, transfer leftover chicken to a sealable bag or freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to six months.
Thaw frozen chicken in the refrigerator overnight. Then, reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat.
More Craveable Chicken Recipes
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Drumsticks with Potatoes
- Greek Lemon Chicken
- Air Fryer Lime Chicken
- Spicy Cilantro Lime Chicken
Honey Garlic Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce use tamari for a gluten-free option
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes adjust for spice preferences
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound chicken tenders or chicken breasts
- Optional garnish: chopped green onions and sesame seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, minced garlic, grated ginger, and fresh lemon juice. Whisk the ingredients together until the marinade is well combined.2 Tablespoons honey, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 3 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons grated ginger, 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Place the chicken tenders or chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag or a shallow dish that’s suitable for marinating.1 pound chicken tenders or chicken breasts
- Pour the prepared honey garlic Asian marinade over the chicken.
- Seal the bag or cover the dish with plastic wrap, ensuring that the chicken is well coated in the marinade.
- Place the marinating chicken in the refrigerator, and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours. For the best flavor, marinating for 2 hours is recommended, but even 30 minutes will infuse the chicken with flavor.
- Preheat the grill or stovetop pan over medium-high heat. If using a grill, make sure it's well-oiled to prevent sticking.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing any excess marinade to drip off.
- Grill the chicken tenders or breasts for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until they are fully cooked and have nice grill marks. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius).
- While grilling, baste the chicken with some of the leftover marinade for extra flavor, but do not use the marinade that has come into contact with raw chicken!
- Once the chicken is cooked through and has a beautiful caramelized exterior, remove it from the grill or pan.
- Garnish the honey garlic chicken with chopped green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.Optional garnish: chopped green onions and sesame seeds
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.