A chocolate lover’s dream dessert, this Hazelnut Chocolate Tart Recipe with Candies Hazelnuts is made with a nutty Oreo crust and a rich dark chocolate filling. Top it with candied hazelnuts and flakey salt for a flavor combination that tastes gourmet!
Table of Contents
What Is a Chocolate Tart?
Also known as a chocolate cream pie, a chocolate tart is a dessert made out of dark chocolate, cream, and eggs that are beaten together and poured into a pastry shell crust. Baked until firm, it is considered to be a type of custard because of its egg-based filling. Similar to custard, chocolate tarts are smooth, silky, and unbelievably rich. However, thanks to the pie-like shell, they’re easy to slice and great for serving!
Origins of the Chocolate Tart Recipe
The enjoyment of chocolate tarts can be traced all the way back to Colonial times. Crazy, right?! The first printed recipe is believed to be Hannah Glasse’s chocolate tart which was published in The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy in 1747.
Although similar to the chocolate tart recipes we know and love today, the original recipe would have been grittier with a bolder cocoa flavor. This is because the chocolate we use today wasn’t available until the 19th century when machines were invented to grind pure cocoa and sugar began to be included in the refining process.
In addition, you might be surprised to learn that Glasse’s chocolate tart recipe included rice flour. During the time, rice flour was a common thickener. Today, cornstarch is more commonly used as an effective way to achieve a thick, smooth texture. Either way, the dessert has always been loved and continues to remain extremely popular today!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this chocolate tart recipe, we took classic recipes and spruced them up with the addition of crunchy hazelnut and a chocolate crust!
- Oreo Cookies – Not found in most tarts, we love to double the chocolate flavor with a cookie crust! You could also experiment with different Oreo flavors if you’d like.
- Toasted Hazelnuts – These add extra flavor and a bit of crunch.
- Salt – Enhances the rest of the ingredients.
- Unsalted Butter – This is crucial to combine the ingredients and create a rich flavor and crisp, crumbly texture.
- Dark Chocolate – Make sure you use high-quality chocolate that’s at least 60% cocoa.
- Heavy Cream – Forms a smooth texture and makes for an even more decadent flavor.
- Sugar – Regular granulated sugar helps take some of the bitterness out of the chocolate.
- Butter – Unsalted butter helps create a rich flavor and contributes to the smooth, silky texture.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract enhances the rest of the ingredients.
- Hazelnut Butter – Feel free to use a store-bought option, or make your own!
- Hazelnuts – Raw hazelnuts are chopped into pieces.
- Unsalted Butter – This is melted down and used to coat the nuts.
- Light Brown Sugar – Combined with the butter, this forms an almost caramel-like coating that clings to the hazelnuts making them crunchy and sweet.
For this hazelnut chocolate tart recipe, we simply sprinkled the candied hazelnuts and a little extra salt on top. However, you could use any toppings you have on hand and like best! For instance, try adding:
- Chocolate Shavings
- Powdered Sugar
- Coconut Flakes
How to Make This Hazelnut Chocolate Tart Recipe
Chocolate tarts look super gourmet and hard to make, but the process is a breeze!
- Prepare the Crust. Pulse the Oreos and hazelnuts in a food processor until they’re finely ground. Add the salt and butter, and pulse again just until the ingredients are moist. Press the mixture into a tart pan. Bake until it is browned and set, and let it cool.
- Boil. While the crust cools, add the heavy cream, sugar, and butter to a small saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a low boil.
- Mix. Remove the pan from the heat, and pour the mixture over the chocolate in a medium-sized bowl. Let the ingredients stand for 1 minute. Then, stir until everything is melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla and hazelnut butter.
- Chill. Pour the filling into the Oreo crust, and place it in the fridge to set.
- Create the Candied Hazelnuts. Melt the butter, brown sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped hazelnuts, and stir until they begin to become fragrant and are lightly browned. Remove the pan from the what, and transfer the nuts to a silicone mat or
parchment paperto cool.
- Top. Sprinkle the candied nuts and extra sea salt flakes on top of your tart, and enjoy!
Baking should be a smooth process; now, it could really be one. These pre-cut, no-curl parchment paper sheets are there to support your cookies, cakes, breads etc in their baking process. They can withstand up to 450° of heat without curling! Natural, unbleached baking paper for ovens- these sheets are nature’s best.
Chocolate Tart Common Questions
Make sure to slowly combine the filling ingredients, and stir until they’re smooth and combined. Then, be sure to place your tart in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to overnight to allow the mixture to set and thicken.
Yes! Covered with cling wrap or foil or placed in an airtight container, this tart can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Can I freeze this chocolate tart?
Yes. Cover your tart completely or place it in an airtight container, and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month.
More Decadent Desserts
Looking for more chocolate-filled recipes? Try out some of our desserts below!
- Double Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Pots De Creme
- Easy Chocolate Soufflé Recipe
- Chocolate Mousse (Egg-Free Recipe)
Hazelnut Chocolate Tart with Candied Hazelnuts
For the Oreo Crust:
- 22 Oreo cookies
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Ganache Filling:
- 12 ounces 60% dark chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter sliced into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hazelnut butter
For the Candied Hazelnuts:
- 1 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Sea salt flakes for garnish
- 1 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
Prepare the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the Oreos and hazelnuts to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Add the butter and salt, and pulse again just until combined and moist.22 Oreo cookies, 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Press the mixture into the bottom and along the sides of a 9-inch tart pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, and set aside to cool.
Prepare the Filling:
- In a medium heatproof bowl, add the chocolate. Set aside.12 ounces 60% dark chocolate
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream, sugar, and butter to a low boil. Remove the pan from the heat, and pour the mixture over the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute.1 1/4 cups heavy cream, 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Use a rubber spatula to stir until everything is melted and smooth. Add the vanilla and hazelnut butter, and stir again until smooth. Note: If the mixture is not completely melted, place it in the microwave for 30 seconds, and stir again.2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/4 cup hazelnut butter
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Prepare the Candied Hazelnuts:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and salt, and stir to combine.1 Tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 Tablespoons light brown sugar, Sea salt flakes for garnish
- Add the hazelnuts, and stir for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.1 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Place the nuts on a silicone mat or parchment paper to cool completely.
- Sprinkle the nuts and salt on top of the chocolate tart, slice, and serve chilled.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.