Rich and decadent, no one will believe how easy these Chocolate Pots De Creme are to make! Quick to whip up, they’re perfect for date nights, dinner parties, holidays, and everything in between!
What Are Pots De Creme?
Pots de creme are a French dessert whose origin can be traced back to the 17th Century. When translated, the name literally means pots of cream in English. The name refers to both the tool used to cook the dessert as well as custard treat. Originally, the dessert was baked in delicate porcelain cups. However, today, they’re largely made using small ramekins. There are many variations of the recipe, like these chocolate pots de creme, sometimes referred to as just chocolate pots. However, no matter the flavor, they’re always smooth, creamy, and delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Pots De Creme Recipe
If you love our chocolate mousse, you’re going to adore this recipe! Even more decadent, it’s:
- Made with 8 ingredients.
- Combined in less than 10 minutes.
- Great to prepare in advance.
- Fancy enough to serve at parties and date nights yet simple enough for a weeknight treat!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Due to their elegant appearance, you might be surprised to learn that this chocolate pot de creme recipe comes together with just a handful of simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Dark Chocolate – Using high-quality dark chocolate (that is at least 60% cacao) is crucial to creating the rich, bold flavor we’re looking to achieve.
- Milk – Whole milk works best to create a smooth, creamy texture. We do not recommend using reduced-fat options as your results won’t be the same.
- Espresso – This helps enhance the chocolate taste. Strong coffee works, too, and feel free to use decaf varieties, if preferred.
- Heavy Cream – Used to create a smooth texture and rich flavor.
- Egg Yolks – These are used to help thicken the pots de creme without diluting their flavor.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar helps reduce the bitterness of the dark chocolate for a well-rounded flavor.
- Salt – Just a pinch helps enhance the rest of the ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract – For the best results, use high-quality pure vanilla extract. Trust us, you can taste the difference!
How to Make Chocolate Pots De Creme
Once you realize how easy these chocolate pots de creme are to make, they’re guaranteed to become your new favorite dessert. Just follow the steps below!
- Cook. Add the milk, cream, egg yolks, coffee, sugar, and salt to a large, heavy-bottomed pot, and whisk to combine. Then, turn the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat the spatula and is near boiling. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Blend. Pour the mixture into a blender along with the chocolate, and blend until the ingredients are well-combined and smooth.
- Refrigerate. Divide the chocolate mixture into ramekins, and refrigerate until the mixture is set.
- Serve. Top your dessert with whipped cream and berries, and serve cold!
Tips and Tricks
Although this recipe is super simple, we have a few extra tips to make sure it basically failproof!
Don’t Overcook. Be careful not to cook your cream mixture on too high of heat. Otherwise, your eggs will scramble!
Chop the Chocolate. For easy blending and to prevent a gritty texture, chop your chocolate into small pieces before adding it to the blender.
Scrape the Blender. Be sure to stop and scrape down the sides of your blender as needed while combining the ingredients.
Warm a Bit. Set your pots de creme out at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving to ensure the texture is silky smooth.
These chocolate pots de creme are incredibly satisfying on their own, but a topping or two never hurt! We love to serve them with a dollop of whipped cream and sliced berries, but they’re also incredible topped with items like:
- Chocolate Shavings
- Powdered Sugar
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Crumbles
How to Store
This chocolate pot de creme recipe is a great option to make ahead of time! Once prepared, they can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Just be sure to leave off the toppings until just before you’re ready to serve.
More Chocolate Desserts
Need more chocolate in your life? Try out more of our favorite desserts!
- Easy Chocolate Soufflé
- Molten Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Skillet Brownie
- Double Chocolate Bundt Cake
Chocolate Pots De Creme
- 9 ounces high-quality dark chocolate (60% or greater)
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup espresso or strong brewed coffee (slightly cooled*)
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 6 extra large egg yolks (room temperature)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Optional: whipped cream and berries for serving
- Chop the chocolate, and place it in a high-speed blender. Set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, add the milk, cream, egg yolks, espresso, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring with a spatula for 5-6 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the spatula and is near boiling. NOTE – Be careful not to cook on high heat, or the eggs will scramble! Add the vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the blender with the chocolate. Place a thick towel on top, and blend until the ingredients are well-combined and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Divide the mixture evenly into six 6-ounce ramekins.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Let the chocolate pots de creme sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream and berries, if desired, Enjoy!
- Store covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.