This Chocolate Hazelnut Skillet Brownie is rich, indulgent, and unbelievably delicious! A cross between a chocolate brownie and brownie pudding, it’s gooey in the center and crisp around the edges. Serve it warm topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a truly unbeatable dessert!
Why You’ll Love this Chocolate Hazelnut Skillet Brownie
Unlike anything we’ve ever had before, there’s truly so much to love about this recipe!
- A cross between a classic brownie and decadent brownie pudding, it’s ooey gooey in the center yet firm around the edges for a satisfying texture and incredible taste.
- A chocolate lover’s dream, the chocolate batter is loaded with chocolate chunks.
- It bakes in one dish in less than 30 minutes.
- Perfect for feeding a crowd, this treat will rival the desserts at even the fanciest restaurants!
Decadent Ingredients You’ll Need
Chocolate is the star of the show with this skillet brownie recipe! Its flavor is accentuated with just a few extra pantry staples for a bit of structure and an enhanced taste. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Eggs – These are crucial to creating a fudgy texture and giving structure to the brownie.
- Sugar – Regular granulated sugar sweetens the batter.
- Cocoa Powder – This forms the base of the chocolate flavor. Just make sure it’s unsweetened!
- Instant Espresso Powder – Contrary to popular belief, espresso does not make the brownie taste like coffee. Instead, it enhances the chocolate flavor even more. If preferred, feel free to use decaf espresso granules instead.
- All-Purpose Flour – Crucial to hold the batter together. If needed, a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour will work just as well.
- Salt – Helps enhance the rest of the ingredients.
- Butter – We recommend using unsalted butter.
- Nutella – Feel free to use Nutella from the store, or make your own with a recipe like this!
- Vanilla Extract – Make sure you use pure vanilla extract instead of imitation varieties. Trust us, you can taste the difference!
- Chocolate – We use a large chocolate bar, and cut it into chunks. However, feel free to use candy pieces, or any chocolate you have on hand.
Feel free to mix and match your favorite add-ins to make this skillet brownie your own. For instance, some of our favorite variations include:
- Chopped Nuts
- A Swirl of Caramel
- Peanut Butter Drizzle or Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Fresh Berries
- Oreo Pieces
How to Make an Irresistible Skillet Brownie Recipe
Combined in one bowl and baked in less than 30 minutes, this recipe is soooo easy to make!
- Beat. Add the eggs and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, and beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is thick and light yellow.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. Add the cocoa, espresso, flour, and salt, mixing until it is just combined. Then, with the mixer on a low setting, pour in the butter, mixing until it is just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate.
- Bake. Pour the mixture into a greased skillet, and bake until the brownie has become fluffy and is set around the edges but gooey in the center.
- Cool. Let the skillet brownie cool slightly in the skillet, and serve warm!
Tips and Tricks
As if this skillet brownie wasn’t easy enough, we’ve got a few extra tips to make it a complete breeze!
Use High-Quality Chocolate. The better the chocolate, the better your dessert will taste! For the best results, we highly recommend using a brand like Ghiradelli or Lindt.
Don’t Overmix. Once the eggs and sugar are combined do not beat the batter. Instead, mix it slowly, stopping as soon as there are no longer any streaks. Continuing to mix will result in a dense, tough brownie.
Don’t Overbake. The key to creating the incredible gooey center is to remove the brownie from the oven early. Depending on the size of your skillet, the brownie may take more or less time to bake. So, be sure to keep an eye on it, and remove it from the oven as soon as the edges are set. Remember, it will continue to bake a bit as it cools!
Of course, this skillet brownie is amazing on its own. However, if you want to go all out and create a gourmet-looking dessert, try serving it with:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream and Cherries
- Chocolate or Caramel Sauce
- A Drizzle of Nutella
Skillet Brownie Common Questions
Once baked and cooled, this skillet brownie can be covered or transferred to an airtight container and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or, keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Yes! If you don’t have a skillet, simply use a round baking dish instead.
Absolutely. To make this recipe gluten-free, swap out the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten-free flour alternative.
Even More Brownie Recipes
If you enjoy this skillet brownie recipe, you won’t want to miss out on more of our favorite brownie-inspired treats below!
- Peanut Butter Brownie Pudding
- Stuffed Pecan Turtle Skillet
- Easy S’mores Brookie
- Copy Cat Tonight Dough Ice Cream
Chocolate Hazelnut Skillet Brownie
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons instant espresso powder
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¾ sticks (14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted)
- ⅓ cup Nutella spread
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces chocolate (chopped)
- Optional: vanilla ice cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325° Fahrenheit. Grease a 10-inch skillet, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and light yellow in color.
- Add the cocoa powder, instant espresso, flour, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Turn the mixer to low, and slowly pour in the melted, cooled butter and Nutella, mixing until no streaks remain.
- Gently fold in the chocolate pieces.
- Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake for 25 minutes or until the brownie is puffed on top but still wiggly in the center. Note: The longer the brownie bakes, the more set the center will be.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and let it cool slightly in the skillet.
- Serve warm topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.