Warm spices, creamy feta, and fresh tomatoes combine to create the ultimate vegetarian comfort food with this Easy Shakshuka with Feta recipe! Serve it with warm pita bread for a filling meal perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Table of Contents
What Is Shakshuka?
A classic North African and Middle Eastern dish, Shakshuka is a dish made of eggs that are poached in a tomato sauce containing chilies and onions. It is created by simmering the tomatoes with various ingredients including scallions, chili peppers, and veggies in a skillet. Then, small indentions are made for eggs to be cracked into and cooked. When translated shakshuka means “a mixture,” and that’s exactly what this dish is!
There are countless ways to make it, but we love to prepare our shakshuka recipe with lots of feta cheese and fresh cilantro.
Key Ingredients for Shakshuka with Feta
To cook this version of Shakshuka with Feta, you will need just a few simple ingredients and a little time.
- Tomatoes – We use a combination of cherry tomatoes and canned tomato sauce.
- Onions – A nice-sized sweet or white onion will work perfectly. These caramelize well and add a nice flavor to almost any dish.
- Bell Peppers – Any color will work for this shakshuka recipe, but green and yellow will pop amongst all the red for a pretty presentation.
- Eggs – The bigger the skillet, the more eggs you can use. Just make sure not to overcrowd them. Otherwise, they won’t cook through!
- Spices and Seasonings -The usual suspects like salt and pepper are needed for this dish, but some not-so-common seasonings also come into play. They include cumin, coriander, and paprika. Also, feel free to add a bit of chili powder if you want to bring the spice level up a notch.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic works best for the strongest flavor.
- Feta Cheese – Although not exactly necessary, we feel that a good sprinkling of feta cheese takes this recipe to the next level with a lovely salty and tangy flavor no one can resist.
How to Make this Shakshuka Recipe
This is a simple one-pan dish to make and serve. Just follow the instructions below, and it’ll be ready in no time!
- Warm olive oil in a pan.
- Sauté the onion and jalapeño before adding the seasonings.
- Once fragrant, add in the tomatoes and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Crack the eggs over the sauce, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
We simplified this dish as much as we could. However, we have a few extra tips to make it even easier to make!
Be Patient. You want your shakshuka sauce to be nice and thick in order to hold the eggs in place. So, don’t skimp on the simmer time! Trust us, it’s worth the wait.
Don’t Overcrowd the Pan. You want to make sure to leave space between all of the eggs. If they’re crowded on top of one another they will not cook through.
Adjust the Cooking Time. Depending on how you like your eggs, you will need to cook your shakshuka recipe longer or shorter.
Make It Your Own! There are endless ways to make shakshuka. So, feel free to experiment by adding in your favorite veggies, spices, and toppings.
This Shakshuka with Feta is perfect for dipping! We love to serve it with:
Can I Make Shakshuka with Feta Ahead of Time?
Yes! Transfer leftovers to an airtight container, and store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
More Egg-Filled Breakfast Recipes
- Creamy and comforting Turkish Eggs with Roasted Peppers are guaranteed to wow your guests.
- Cheesy Breakfast Brioche Sliders are full of flavor and perfect for feeding a crowd.
- So easy to make, these Baked Scrambled Eggs will blow your mind!
- Savory and delicious, just one bite and this Greek Breakfast Casserole will become your new favorite brunch.
Easy Shakshuka with Feta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño optional, diced and seeded
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 4-6 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley
- Heat a deep, large skillet or sauté pan on medium. Slowly warm olive oil in the pan. Add chopped onion, peppers, jalapeño (if using), and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt/pepper and continue to sauté till mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add cherry tomatoes and tomato sauce stir until combined. Allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 7-10 minutes until it is reduced by 1/3rd. At this point, taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
- Crack the eggs, one at a time, directly over the tomato mixture, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.