A quick no-bake recipe, this Billy Miner Ice Cream Pie Recipe is every cookie lover’s dream! Made with rich Oreos, edible cookie dough, and sweet vanilla ice cream, it’s the tastiest dessert you’ll ever make!
What Is Billy Miner Pie?
Made popular by a restaurant called The Keg Steakhouse + Bar, Billy Miner Pie is simply an ice cream pie recipe. However, its name has a bit of a funny story. You see, according to legend, Bill Miner was Canada’s first train robber. However, referred to as “the gentleman bandit,” it was said that Billy never used violence while committing his crimes. As a result, he became a sort of folktale hero, and the restaurant named their delicious pie after him. Whatever the reason, the recipe is crazy good, and we knew we had to recreate it!
Ice Cream Pie Ingredients
- Butter – Butter helps add rich flavor to the pie crust while also holding the Oreo crumbs together. However, it can also be substituted with coconut oil.
- Oreo Cookies – For this recipe, we stuck with regular chocolate Oreo cookies, but feel free to use a similar creme cookie if you prefer.
- Unsweetened Dark Chocolate – Dark chocolate helps add antioxidants and a super decadent taste. However, you could swap it out for milk chocolate instead.
- Granulated Sugar – Granulated sugar works best to sweeten up the bitterness of the dark chocolate, because it dissolves easily into the mixture.
- Evaporated Milk – Adding evaporated milk to the chocolate sauce helps to thicken it while also creating a creamy texture and richer taste.
- Vanilla Extract – Don’t forget your vanilla! It’s crucial for bringing out the natural flavors of the rest of the ingredients.
- Ice Cream – A high-quality vanilla ice cream pairs perfectly with the chocolate sauce and cookies!
- Edible Cookie Dough – Make sure you opt for a cookie dough that’s made without eggs so it’s always safe to eat.
Time-Saving Tip: If you want, you could buy a pre-made Oreo cookie crust from your local grocery store instead of making it yourself.
How to Make this Ice Cream Pie Recipe
- Combine the melted butter and crushed cookies.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan, and let it chill.
- Add the ice cream, cookie dough, and mini Oreos to a large bowl. Mix until well-combined.
- Press the ice cream mixture into the chilled pie crust. Store in the freezer.
- Then, melt the chocolate and more butter over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the sugar.
- Whisking constantly, slowly add in the evaporated milk.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, and let cool.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the ice cream, and garnish with more cookie pieces.
- Store in the freezer.
Serving Tip: For easy slicing, try running your knife under hot water before sticking it into your pie. This will help it glide evenly, creating beautifully sliced pieces.
To keep this recipe as close to the original Billy Miner Ice Cream Pie as possible, we top it off with extra cookie dough and Oreo pieces. That doesn’t mean you have to, though! Feel free to get creative with some of your favorite toppings and ingredient alternatives. For instance, you could use:
- Caramel Sauce
- Shredded Coconut Flakes
- Whipped Cream
- Crushed Nuts
- Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate or Strawberry Ice Cream
- Graham Cracker Crust
How Long Does Ice Cream Pie Last?
The best make-ahead dessert, you can store your ice cream pie covered in the freezer for up to 1 week.
More Pie Recipes You’ll Love
- Made with a special Oreo crust and topped with delicious pudding, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie is truly sensational.
- This Oreo Pie recipe is everything you love about Oreos in a fluffy, no-bake pie.
- Ooey, gooey, and delicious, this Deep Fried Pecan Pie is like nothing you’ve ever had before!
- Featuring 4 layers of cookie goodness, this Peanut Butter Cookie Pie is every cookie lover’s dream dessert.
The Best Billy Miner Cookie Ice Cream Pie
- 1/2 cup butter (divided)
- 36 Oreo cookies (crushed)
- 3 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 quarts good quality vanilla ice cream (softened)
- 1 cup edible cookie dough pieces
- 1 cup mini Oreo cookies
- edible cookie dough and Oreo cookies for garnish (optional)
- Melt 1/4 cup butter. Mix crushed cookies with melted butter; press mixture in the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan, and chill.
- In a large mixing bowl add softened ice cream, cookie dough pieces, and mini Oreo cookies. Mix until combined.
- Top the Oreo crust with the ice cream. Place in the freezer and freeze until the ice cream is firm.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and remaining butter. Remove from the heat and stir in sugar. Gradually add the evaporated milk and mix until smooth, stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Once ice cream is firm, spread the fudge sauce over the ice cream layer. Garnish with additional Oreos and cookie dough pieces.
- Store in the freezer until ready to serve. Remove and let sit a few minutes before slicing.
Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with almonds, caramel and chocolate sauce. Enjoy. Eat. Repeat.