This Easy Baked Carrots recipe comes together with just a handful of ingredients and a cook time of under 30 minutes. The roasting process brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots, and the fresh herbs add a savory taste. They’re a great side dish for holiday parties and weeknight dinners!
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need for Savory Baked Carrots
- Mini Carrots – These are small, whole carrots, not baby carrots. If you can’t find them, use whole carrots, and cut them into sticks or coins.
- Olive Oil – This coats the carrots, helping the seasonings cling and allowing them to caramelize in the oven.
- Garlic – Use whole, fresh garlic cloves, and mince them finely.
- Dried Thyme – Substitute fresh thyme leaves, if preferred.
- Salt and Black Pepper – Adjust to taste.
- Fresh Parsley – Feel free to substitute fresh thyme or fresh oregano.
How to Roast Carrots
- Prepare the carrots. Before you begin, wash, peel, and trim the carrots. If they’re large, cut them into equal-sized sticks or coins to help ensure they cook evenly.
- Season. Place the carrots in a large mixing bowl. Then, drizzle the oil on top, and add the garlic, herbs, and spices. Toss to coat.
- Bake. Arrange the seasoned carrots in an even layer on a baking sheet, leaving space in between them. Transfer the veggies to the oven, and roast until the carrots are fork-tender, tossing them halfway through.
- Garnish. Add a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley, and enjoy warm!
How Long Do I Roast Carrots?
We have found that this recipe requires about 20 to 25 minutes of baking time. However, the exact time needed will depend on your oven and the size and thickness of your carrots.
Keep a close eye on your oven, and remove the carrots when the outside is caramelized and they can easily be pierced with a fork. Note, that if you use baby carrots, they will bake much faster than mini carrots or large, whole carrots!
We kept these baked carrots on the savory side, but feel free to switch up the flavor with additional ingredients!
- Cheese – Sprinkle your baked carrots with parmesan or feta during the last few minutes of cooking or just before serving.
- Mediterranean – Add dried oregano, cumin, and thyme.
- Spicy – Include a sprinkle of chili powder or cayenne.
- Balsamic – Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a sweet, tangy taste just before serving.
- Sweet – Drizzle the carrots with maple syrup or honey just before placing them in the oven. Or, try using pomegranate molasses instead!
How to Store and Reheat
- Store: Once cooled, oven baked carrots can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to four days.
- Reheat: Warm your baked carrots in individual portions in the microwave, in a skillet over low heat, or in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit just until they’re heated through.
What to Serve with this Baked Carrots Recipe
This recipe pairs wonderfully with any main course recipe! Serve it as a side dish with your holiday turkey or ham.
Or, enjoy it as part of a weeknight dinner with main courses such as honey garlic salmon, garlic parmesan chicken drumsticks, Greek lemon chicken, slow cooker beef brisket, or turkey caprese sandwiches.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Parmesan Oven Roasted Carrots
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes
- Pizza-Flavored Oven Baked Asparagus
Easy Baked Carrots Recipe
- 1 pound mini carrots peeled and trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or fresh thyme leaves
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley or fresh thyme or oregano, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). This high temperature will help the carrots roast and caramelize nicely.
- Wash, peel, and trim the carrots. If they’re large, can cut them into uniform-sized sticks or coins for even cooking.1 pound mini carrots
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the carrots with olive oil, minced garlic (if using), dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Make sure the carrots are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.3 Tablespoons olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, Salt to taste, Black pepper
- Arrange the seasoned carrots in a single layer on a baking sheet. It’s essential to give them enough space so that they roast rather than steam.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven, and roast the carrots for about 20-25 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, give the carrots a gentle shake or toss to ensure even cooking.
- The carrots should be tender and slightly caramelized on the edges when they are done. Cooking time may vary slightly depending on the size of the carrot pieces and oven used, so keep an eye on them.
- Once the carrots are roasted to the desired level of doneness, remove them from the oven. Garnish them with fresh chopped parsley for added flavor and a pop of color, if desired.2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- Serve the oven-roasted carrots immediately as a side dish. They pair well with various main courses and can be enjoyed on their own as a healthy snack!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.