Honeycomb Pasta Cake
This honeycomb pasta cake is loaded with creamy bèchamel sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese!
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups whole milk (scalded)
- 3 tsp kosher salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon OR nutmeg
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 lbs wide rigatoni pasta (cooked al-dente)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the pasta until al-dente. *Don't forget to salt your pasta water!
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. You want to cook out the raw flour taste. Gradually whisk in the hot milk. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Stir in the seasonings. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a buttered 10-inch springform pan add about 2 cups of the prepared bèchamel sauce. Make sure to evenly spread the bèchamel in the pan.
- Line up your pasta inside the pan, with the noodles standing up. Make sure they are tightly packed. This is how the base of your honeycomb is formed!
- Top with remaning sauce. It will fill a lot of the noodles! Add mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown
- Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from springform pan. That helps it keep its shape!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!