Drawing inspiration from the classic tzatziki, our High-Protein Feta Cucumber Sauce is a luxurious blend of richness, creaminess, and refreshing flavor. Whether you’re dipping, spreading it on sandwiches and gyros, or dolloping it on grain bowls, it’s a versatile sauce that you’re sure to love!
Why You’ll Love This Feta Cucumber Sauce
In our opinion, you can never go wrong with a good sauce! Whether you’re looking for an easy appetizer or a quick condiment for all your favorite meals, you can always find a sauce that hits the spot. Luckily, this feta cucumber sauce checks all the boxes. It’s:
- Full of protein.
- Made with less than 10 ingredients.
- Quick and easy to make, meaning you can have it on your table in minutes.
- Great to prepare ahead of time.
- Smooth and creamy with just a touch of crunch.
What Does This Recipe Taste Like?
This cucumber sauce has a flavor similar to tzatziki. It’s smooth, creamy, and rich thanks to the yogurt and cheese which also give it a subtle hint of tanginess. Paired with herbs and spices, it has a refreshing combination of light and savory flavors that pair well with all your favorite savory recipes.
What’s the Difference Between Feta Cucumber Sauce and Tzatziki
Good question! The two are very similar, and we used tzatziki as inspiration for this feta cucumber sauce but added a twist. Unlike tzatziki, this recipe is loaded with protein thanks to the use of both Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. As a result, it is also thicker than tzatziki. We also incorporate a few extra seasonings to make the flavor truly unique.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Crafting this flavorful feta cucumber sauce is super easy less than 10 ingredients, most of which you likely already have on hand! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Feta Cheese – This forms the base of the dip. For the best taste and texture, opt for a full-fat block.
- Greek Yogurt – We prefer to use plain, full-fat varieties for an ultra-creamy consistency. If preferred, low-fat options can be used. Just know that the texture of your sauce will vary slightly.
- Cottage Cheese – This is our secret weapon to taking this cucumber sauce to the next level, adding an extra tangy taste and protein while creating a thick texture. Again, full-fat varieties work best.
- Cucumber – Use a large English cucumber.
- Herbs and Spices – Fresh dill, garlic, dried mint, salt, and pepper combine to create savory, refreshing flavors. It’s technically optional, but we also like to include za’atar as a garnish to make this recipe ten times better than anything you’ll find in the store.
- Lemon Juice
How to Make High-Protein Feta Cucumber Sauce
Whipping up your own sauces at home is a breeze with this easy process! Just combine everything together, and – voila! – it’s ready to elevate your dishes. Here’s what you need to do:
- Combine. Add the feta, yogurt, cottage cheese, garlic, lemon juice, dill, and mint to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are well combined and creamy.
- Add the Cucumber. Peel and grate the cucumber with the largest side of a box cutter. Then, add the gratings to a cheesecloth, and squeeze out any excess liquid. Stir the cucumber into the cucumber sauce, making sure it is well incorporated.
- Adjust. Give your sauce a taste test, and adjust the seasonings as necessary to satisfy your tastebuds. Garnish with za’atar, if desired, and enjoy!
This cucumber sauce is so good, you’ll be tempted to eat it with nothing but a spoon. No judgment if you do! However, we also love these other ways to serve it:
- As a dip with pita chips, crackers, and veggie sticks
- Dolloped on salads and bowls like our Chickpea Cucumber Feta Salad, Quick Couscous Salad with Chicken, and our Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- On sandwiches and wraps
How to Store
Elevate your meals effortlessly by preparing this feta cucumber sauce in bulk—it’s a fantastic condiment to have on hand to add flavor to all of your culinary creations! When transferred to an airtight container, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. We do not recommend freezing this recipe, because the dairy and cucumber will not thaw well so the dip doesn’t retain its original consistency.
More Dips, Sauce, and Spreads
Ready to elevate your culinary game? Explore a variety of our other favorite homemade dips, sauces, and spreads below to add a burst of flavor to all your favorite recipes!
- Romesco Sauce
- Spinach Olive Dip
- Baba Ganoush (Eggplant Dip)
- Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes with Yogurt Dip
Feta Cucumber Sauce Recipe
- 6 ounces feta cheese full-fat
- 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt full-fat*
- 6 ounces cottage cheese full-fat
- 1 clove garlic
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- ½ cup English cucumber grated
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: olive oil and za’atar seasoning for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the feta, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, garlic, lemon juice, dill, and dried mint. Pulse until smooth and creamy.6 ounces feta cheese, 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt, 6 ounces cottage cheese, 1 clove garlic, Squeeze of lemon juice, 1/4 cup fresh dill, 2 teaspoons dried mint
- Using the largest side of a box cutter, peel and grate the cucumber. Place the shreds in a cheesecloth, and squeeze out any excess liquid. Fold the cucumber into the cucumber sauce.½ cup English cucumber
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, adding salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with olive oil and za’atar, if desired.Salt to taste, Black pepper to taste, Optional: olive oil and za’atar seasoning for garnish
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.