This Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe is a healthy breakfast or dessert that’s sweet, chocolatey, and good for you, too. Five simple ingredients come together to form a thick pudding-like consistency that you can make ahead of time and enjoy all week. Plus, it’s vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free, too!
Table of Contents
Chia seeds and particularly chia seed pudding have been everywhere in the food space over the last several years, and we aren’t complaining! In fact, we definitely jumped on the bandwagon with recipes like Strawberry Chia Pudding, 3-Ingredient Coconut Chia Pudding, and even our Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats thickened with chia seeds!
While we love these healthy breakfast recipes, we also realized that chia pudding can be transformed into a healthier version of a classic chocolate pudding dessert. So, you should already know we immediately had to try it out! Honestly, the end result might be our new favorite recipe.
Loaded with decadent chocolate flavor, this Chocolate Chia Pudding is thick, sweet, and super easy to make. Not only is it tasty, but it’s also naturally gluten-free, nut-free, and vegan. Even better, it’s made without any added sugar!
That means you can enjoy it for a nutritious breakfast, indulgent dessert, or even a quick afternoon snack to satisfy your sweet tooth without any guilt! Try it once, and you’ll start to keep a batch on hand all the time.
Why You’ll Love Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Quick and easy to prepare and great for
- High in fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats
- A good source of plant-based protein
- Creamy, chocolatey, and truly pudding-like
- Gluten-free, nut-free, vegan
What’s In This Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe
This Chocolate Chia Pudding uses just 5 simple, nutritious ingredients! Here’s what you need:
- Dairy-Free Milk – Use whatever you have on hand and like best! They all work well and create a slightly different taste.
- Chia Seeds – Black chia seeds are the most common, but white chia seed work, too. Either way, they’re the base of the recipe and are crucial for the right texture and consistency.
- Cacao Powder – We love to use cacao powder because it is less processed and has a stronger taste as well as more health benefits. However, if preferred, cocoa powder can be used in its place.
- Vanilla Extract – Used to enhance the sweet flavor. Trust us, you can taste the difference if you leave it out!
- Espresso Powder – While you don’t absolutely have to add espresso, it does help enhance the cacao, making your Chocolate Chia Pudding extra decadent. Plus, if you’re enjoying it for breakfast, it’s a great way to get a boost of energy!
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
Tiny but mighty, chia seeds are incredibly rich in antioxidants and fiber and have been consumed for centuries for these reasons. In fact, the use of chia seeds can be traced all the way back to the Mayans.
One ounce of chia seeds is all you need to gain tons of health benefits. For instance, in just those two tablespoons, you get Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, B vitamins, fiber, omega fats, and plant-based protein!
As a result, including them as part of a healthy diet can help to:
- Support Weight Loss
- Lower the Risk of Heart Disease
- Reduce Blood Sugar Levels
Keep reading to learn more about chia seeds and their benefits!
How to Make the Best Chia Chocolate Pudding
This Chocolate Chia Pudding recipe is so easy even the kids can do it.
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl or jar with a lid.
- Stir to incorporate everything together, and cover your container with a lid.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or ideally up to overnight.
Tips and Tricks
- Stir. For the best, smoothest consistency, we recommend combining your ingredients, waiting about 5 minutes, and stirring them all together again. Repeat this once or twice before placing your Chocolate Chia Pudding in the fridge. This will help prevent any clumps from forming.
- Adjust the Ratio. We like to keep a fairly thick pudding-like consistency but feel free to adjust the liquid ratio to fit your preferences. For instance, if you prefer your pudding a little runnier, add more milk. Or, if you want it to be super thick, add a little less milk. You can always add more later!
- Blend. One of the most common complaints we hear about chia pudding is that people don’t like the tapioca consistency of the chia seeds. If this is true for you, try placing your pudding in a blender and pulsing until it’s smooth to create a creamier texture.
- Make It Sweeter. If you prefer your Chocolate Chia Pudding to be even sweeter, stir in a bit of maple syrup, honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- Add Toppings! This recipe is satisfying all on its own. However, if you want to add extra texture or flavor, get creative with toppings. For example, fresh raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, coconut flakes, or chopped nuts all make great healthy additions. Or, treat yourself with a dollop of whipped cream, and even add extra chocolate shavings if you want.
How to Store
- Refrigerate: Stored in an airtight container, homemade Chocolate Chia Pudding will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: For a longer-lasting option, transfer the mixture to individual freezer-safe containers, and keep it frozen for up to 2 months. Then, let it thaw in the fridge overnight, and enjoy!
More Healthy, Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes
Looking for more healthy breakfast recipes that satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping you full? We’ve got you covered with the options below!
- Easy Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Baked Oatmeal
- Date & Apricot Overnight Oats
- Frozen Yogurt Fruit Cups
Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste or sweetener of choice
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl or sealable container, and stir to combine.1 cup dairy-free milk, 1/4 cup chia seeds, 2 Tablespoons cacao powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon espresso powder, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste
- Cover, refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until thick, and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.