Falafel is the ultimate finger food that you’re going to be craving on the reg after you make this recipe! It’s packed full of flavor but it isn’t just tasty; it’s also bursting with protein from hearty chickpeas and our air-fried twist keeps things light on the oil. It’s like a flavor-packed high-five for your taste buds.
Interested in a deep dive into the history of falafel? Check out our Deep Fried Falafel recipe.
Table of Contents
What type of chickpeas to use for this
air fryer falafel recipe
Our recipe calls for fava beans and chickpeas in their dry form. This requires you to rehydrate them ahead of making the recipe. But, if you don’t have time to soak the beans, you can use canned beans! Beans in a can have a higher amount of sodium but are otherwise the same.
If you are new to rehydrating dried beans and chickpeas, don’t worry! We have detailed instructions on how to rehydrate dried chickpeas in the blog for our One Pot Greek Couscous.
Is falafel a healthy recipe?
What we love about this falafel recipe is that it is healthy! Even our deep-fried falafel is healthy. Falafel is naturally packed with vitamins and nutrients and chickpeas and fava beans are a solid source of plant-based protein.
One of the main benefits of using an
How to make
air fryer falafel
- A day before you are going to make this recipe, get out your chickpeas and fava beans and soak them overnight.
- Grab your food processor and add chickpeas, green onion, chopped onion, garlic cloves and cilantro to the food processor. Blend until you have a thick, fluffy dough.
- Then add salt, pepper, coriander, and cumin to the food processor. Mix it together.
- Scoop the falafel dough mixture from the food processor into a bowl.
- Right before you are going to air fry the falafel, add baking soda to the bowl. Give it a final mix.
- Make patties out of the dough and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Arrange them in the
air fryerand cook for 15-18 minutes at 350. Flip the falafel halfway through the cooking time to make sure they’re crunchy on both sides!
- Serve hot or at room temperature on its own or with dip!
How to store
air fryer falafel
We doubt you will have leftovers because this recipe is just THAT good. But in case you do, these tasty falafel are super easy to store! This recipe also lends itself well to making a large batch if you like to
They will last for 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge, or for up to 3 months in the freezer. To reheat, we recommend popping them in the oven or a toaster oven!
air fryer recipes
We are obsessed with our
Not only is it healthier than deep frying, but you can also avoid all the mess associated with deep frying. Plus, there is a much lower risk of burning yourself!
Here are some of our favorite
- Our Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings are to die for! Chicken wings make for a great meal that everyone loves. And since these wings are made in
the air fryer, they’re healthier than traditional fried chicken wings.
- Love fried cheese? Say no more! You have to try out our Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks. They are the easiest take on this childhood staple.
- If you have been here a while, you know that we LOVE feta in all of its forms. But we have to say our Air Fryer Sesame Crusted Feta is the very best! It is crunchy, salty, and creamy on the inside.
- Last, but certainly not least, we have to share our Crispy Air Fryer Potato Nuggets. Similar to this falafel recipe, these nuggets are the perfect finger food. They are absolutely delish!
- 1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
- 2 cups fava beans soaked overnight
- 6 whole green onions
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small bunch of cilantro stems removed
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Soak the chickpeas and fava beans overnight to rehydrate them.1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight, 2 cups fava beans soaked overnight
- Set up your food processor. Add chickpeas, green onion, chopped onion, garlic cloves and cilantro to the food processor. Blend everything together.1 medium red onion, 6 whole green onions, 4 garlic cloves, 1 small bunch of cilantro
- Next, add salt, pepper, coriander, and cumin to the food processor. Pulse it together.1 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp cumin
- Remove the falafel dough mixture from the food processor and place it in a bowl.
- When you are ready to start frying the falafel, add the baking soda to the bowl and mix it all together.1 tsp baking soda
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop out little balls of falafel dough. Release it into your hand and press in sesame seeds.Sesame seeds for topping
- Arrange them in the air fryer and cook for 15-18 minutes at 350. Flip the falafel halfway through the cook time to make sure they’re crunchy on both sides!
- Serve hot or at room temperature on it’s own or with tahini, hummus, pita bread, and salad.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.