We LOVE crispy chicken wings. Whether we are making a snack for our kids, or putting together an appetizer platter to eat alongside the game, they are perfect! We typically prefer darker meat, but these chicken wings are as tasty and full of vibrant flavors just like the darker meat you’ll find on the legs and thighs.
Also, these chicken wings are dry-rubbed with a blend of spices then cooked to absolute perfection in our secret weapon, the
How to get these chicken wings extra crispy without the oil
Chicken wings are usually deep fried in oil. They are greasy, super unhealthy, and even sometimes soggy from excess oil! Not to mention that you have to use (essentially waste) all of that oil AND there is always a big mess from deep frying. Overall, we are not fans of deep frying.
We have found that using our
Why do we use the
air fryer for these crispy chicken wings?
Air fryers are countertop cooking devices that circulate piping hot air onto the food in a fryer-style basket. There isn’t a need for too much oil, so it’s not technically “frying” the food, although it does result in super crispy bites that have such a satisfying crunch.
That’s why we love the
Dry rub or marinade for these crispy chicken wings
When it comes to wings, a saucy marinade might be the first thing that pops into your mind. After all, wings dripping in barbecue sauce are a mainstay of the imagination. But a dry rub actually has some benefits over the sauce. On a basic level, dry-rubbed wings are way less messy than saucy ones.
But it goes deeper than that. When it comes to cook time and getting a nice sear on your meat, the wetness of a sauce or a marinade needs to evaporate before the meat itself can cook. Dry rubs evade that problem neatly by being, well…dry. You’ll achieve a caramelized, crispy skin in no time.
Another key difference between dry rubs and sauce is that you don’t need to marinate the rub. You simply throw it on right before cooking, and voilá — ready, set, eat!
How to make
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Wash and dry your chicken wings. Make sure they’re completely dry so the spice blend has a chance to adhere to the skin.
Add all your spices into a big bowl. Mix them together until the result is a vibrant, colorful blend.
Place the chicken wings in the fryer basket. Set air fryer to 380 degrees F. cook for 28-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. (Be sure not to crowd the basket.
When they are done they are going to be nice and crispy on the outside! Serve with a side of ranch, carrots, and celery!
air fryer recipes?
Us too! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Our Air Fryer Cheesy Garlic Toast is a total flavor bomb recipe! It is the perfect side dish to any of our one pot pasta recipes!
- We are big fans of falafel, so of course we made an Air Fryer Falafel recipe. It is just like the delicious street food, but slightly more healthy!
- If you have a sweet tooth, look no further than our S’mores Stuffed Dates. They come together so quick in the
air fryer, we love them!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wingettes and drummettes
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F.
- Wash and dry your chicken wings. Make sure they’re completely dry so the spice blend has a chance to adhere to the skin.
- Add all your spices into a big bowl. Mix them together until the result is a vibrant, colorful blend.
- Place the chicken wings in the fryer basket, and cook for 28 minutes, flipping halfway through. (Be sure not to crowd the basket.