Step into a world of vibrant flavors with this turmeric rice recipe, also known as yellow rice or golden rice. This sumptuous side dish is a burst of savory goodness that can elevate any meal. Whether paired with curry, veggies, or your favorite proteins, this recipe is your ticket to an easy, cozy, and satisfying weeknight meal.
Table of Contents
What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice that is related to ginger and comes from the root of a native Asian plant. It is a deep golden-orange spice that is known for adding earthy flavor and a vibrant hue to a variety of recipes.
Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is a true culinary and medicinal gem that has been cherished for centuries. This savory spice, known for its distinctive golden color, not only adds a unique flavor to dishes but also brings a wealth of health benefits to the table. For example, consuming turmeric can:
- Reduce Inflammation
- Boost Immunity
- Lower the Risk of Heart Disease
- Prevent Cancer
Note: Turmeric can temporarily stain your hands and fingers with a yellow hue. So, be careful when handling it! Don’t worry if it gets on you, though. It’ll wash off in a day or two.
What’s In Turmeric Rice?
Below is an overview of the ingredients and instructions for this easy turmeric rice recipe. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the complete details including prep time, total time, and nutrition information!
- Rice – We recommend using long-grain rice like Basmati or Jasmine, but any rice will do. Many people prefer to use brown rice for its slightly nuttier taste.
- Coconut Milk – Make sure to use canned coconut milk, not the liquid varieties found in the refrigerated section. Full-fat will give you the best flavor.
- Broth – Use chicken broth or vegetable broth. Whichever you choose, look for low-sodium varieties so you have better control over the flavor of your turmeric rice.
- Seasonings – Salt, turmeric powder, garlic powder, and bay leaves add a savory, almost peppery taste.
- Olive Oil – This helps keep the rice moist and creates a richer flavor.
Foolproof Steps to Achieving Fluffy, Vibrant Turmeric Rice
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps remove excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming too sticky!
- Combine the ingredients in the slow cooker, pouring the coconut milk and broth over the rice then adding the seasonings. Drizzle the oil on top.
- Close the slow cooker, and set it to the “White Rice” or “Cook” setting, depending on the model. If your rice cooker has a “Turmeric Rice” setting, use that for even better results!
- Allow the rice to cook. Then, remove the bay leaves, and fluff the rice with a rice paddle or fork.
- Store leftover rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Freeze cooled rice in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight when you’re ready to serve.
- Reheat your turmeric rice in a pot on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave. Add an extra splash of broth or coconut milk as needed to freshen it back up!
Common Questions About This Turmeric Rice Recipe
Absolutely, to make this turmeric rice recipe on the stove combine all the ingredients in a pot.
Then, boil the liquid, and let it simmer according to the package instructions on the rice. When the rice is tender and fluffy, fluff it with a fork, and enjoy.
Feel free to add sautéed vegetables like onions, garlic, carrots, and peas. Or, incorporate protein like
More Flavor Filled Rice Recipes
Easy Turmeric Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps remove excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming too sticky.1 cup rice
- Place the rinsed rice in the rice cooker.
- Pour the coconut milk and broth over the rice in the rice cooker.1/2 cup canned coconut milk, 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Sprinkle the salt, turmeric powder, and garlic powder over the rice.1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add the bay leaves to the rice cooker.2 bay leaves
- Drizzle the olive oil over the rice. Olive oil will add a nice richness and flavor to the rice.1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Close the rice cooker lid and set it to the “White Rice” or “Cook” setting, depending on the rice cooker model. If the rice cooker has a “Turmeric Rice” setting, use that for even better results.
- Let the rice cooker do its job, and it will automatically switch to “Keep Warm” once the rice is cooked. This usually takes around 15-20 minutes, but it can vary based on the rice cooker.
- When the rice is done, carefully open the lid, and remove the bay leaves. Fluff the turmeric rice with a fork to mix in the flavors evenly.
- Serve the delicious turmeric rice with coconut milk and olive oil as a side dish or as a base for curry or stir-fry.
- Enjoy the homemade turmeric rice with a creamy coconut flavor!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.