Truffle Mac and Cheese elevates the standard recipe dish into an elegant side dish! Made with two types of cheese and a touch of truffle oil, it’s ultra creamy, rich, savory, and easy to create.
Table of Contents
- Mac and Cheese Like You’ve Never Had It Before!
- What Is Truffle Mac and Cheese Made Of?
- Upgrade Your Mac and Cheese Game with These Simple Steps
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store and Reheat
- Common Questions About This Truffle Mac and Cheese Recipe
- More Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Truffle Mac and Cheese Recipe Recipe
Mac and Cheese Like You’ve Never Had It Before!
One bite of this truffle mac and cheese recipe, and you’ll never go back to boxed versions again! Ready in under an hour, it uses just a handful of ingredients to create a taste and texture that’s to die for.
As if you needed an excuse to eat more mac and cheese, this truffle mac and cheese will have you convinced! It:
- Comes together in one dish.
- Is made with less than ten ingredients.
- Bakes in under an hour.
- Makes enough to feed a crowd.
- Pairs wonderfully with all your favorite main courses.
What Is Truffle Mac and Cheese Made Of?
You won’t find any powdered cheese in this recipe! Instead, we use real ingredients to create a rich flavor and silky texture. Here’s what you need:
- Uncooked Pasta – We like to use colorful bowtie pasta for a fun dish, but any kind will work. However, we do recommend sticking with smaller varieties like elbows or shells for the best results.
- Truffle Oil – An oil (usually olive oil) infused with real truffles or synthetically made truffles.
- Garlic – Whole, fresh cloves work best.
- Broth – Use chicken or vegetable broth to cook the noodles and infuse extra flavor. Whichever you choose, we recommend using low-sodium varieties.
- Cheese – A combination of smoked gouda cheese and sharp white Cheddar cheese creates the sharpest, most savory, and delicious mac and cheese you’ll ever taste. For the best results and the gooiest texture, grate the cheese yourself!
- Salt and Pepper – Adjust to taste.
- Heavy Cream – This helps combine the ingredients, creating a rich, velvety sauce.
- Parsley – Technically optional, we like to sprinkle fresh Italian parsley on top for a pop of color and a bright, peppery flavor.
Upgrade Your Mac and Cheese Game with These Simple Steps
Even easier than boxed varieties, this truffle mac and cheese is a super hands-off recipe so you can prepare the rest of your meal as it bakes!
- Combine. Add the pasta, truffle oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and broth to a large baking dish, and gently toss to combine.
- Bake. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake until the noodles are soft.
- Mix. Remove the foil, and stir in the remaining ingredients until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Serve. Garnish the dish with fresh parsley, and dig in while it’s warm!
If you want to turn this truffle mac and cheese recipe into a complete meal, try stirring in veggies like broccoli, spinach, or mushrooms and cooked chicken or ground beef!
Or, enjoy it as a side dish for holiday meals or weeknight dinners. Some of our favorite main courses to serve it with include:
- Easy Baked Bruschetta Chicken
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
How to Store and Reheat
This easy truffle mac and cheese recipe is best enjoyed right away, while it’s still warm because the truffle flavor does fade a bit over time. However, if needed, it can be stored covered or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three to five days.
To reheat, you can pop it in the microwave, but we recommend warming it in a skillet!
To do so, add the pasta to a skillet over medium heat along with a splash of milk. Add a splash of truffle oil and salt to enhance the flavor and suit your preferences.
Common Questions About This Truffle Mac and Cheese Recipe
Truffles are one of the most expensive foods you can buy. This is because they are difficult to grow, can only be produced seasonally, take years to cultivate, and have a short shelf life.
Truffle oil can typically be found in the oil section or specialty aisle of your local grocery store. Or, you can find it online!
Most truffle oil in the grocery store is synthetic, and honestly, it’s gotten so good, it’s hard to tell the difference between the two. However, there are a few giveaways.
For example, the label on real truffle oils will have actual truffles and not chemicals, aromas, or flavorings. As a result, the real stuff will also have small chunks of truffles.
In addition, authentic truffle oil is pricey. If you find a bottle with a price that seems too good to be true, it’s probably a fake, but the real stuff lasts forever, and a little goes a long way!
Yes! Use gluten-free noodles instead, and keep a close eye on them as the baking time will likely vary.
Truffles have a flavor that is uniquely its own. They’re rich, oaky, nutty, earthy, and sweet all at once with a gamy, slightly musky taste.
More Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipes
If you enjoy this truffle mac and cheese recipe, you won’t want to miss out on more of our homemade macaroni and cheese options below!
- Easy Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
- The Best Crockpot Mac and Cheese
- Skillet Mac and Cheese
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
Truffle Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 16 ounces uncooked bowtie pasta or small pasta noodles
- 2 teaspoons truffle oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- Optional: Italian flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the uncooked pasta, truffle oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and broth to a 12×8 baking dish, and gently toss to combine. Be careful not to break the pasta!16 ounces uncooked bowtie pasta, 2 teaspoons truffle oil, Salt to taste, Black pepper to taste, 4 cloves garlic, 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Remove the foil, and add the heavy cream and both types of cheese. Stir to combine the ingredients and melt the cheese.½ cup heavy cream, 1 cup smoked gouda cheese, 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- Garnish with Italian flat-leaf parsley, and serve immediately.Optional: Italian flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.