These baked chicken nuggets are the dinner throwback you didn’t know you needed! Our crispy nuggets are like a flavor party in your mouth and bonus – they’re way tastier and healthier than the drive-thru version.
Table of Contents
- Ingredients You Need
- Skip the Fryer: Make Baked Chicken Nuggets Instead
- What To Serve with Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets Recipe
These Baked Chicken Nuggets Taste Good AND Are Good For You!
That’s right! This nostalgic, kid-friendly handheld snack is as healthy as it is tasty.
Most chicken nuggets are deep-fried in oil. In fact, some popular fast food chains notoriously deep fry their nuggets in beef fat. The traditional chicken nugget is greasy and often doesn’t leave you feeling like you had a healthy meal.
Our crispy baked chicken nuggets are the total opposite! We use chicken breast, which is naturally low in fat compared to other cuts of chicken. We also bake these chicken nuggets instead of frying them, making them so much better for you than fast food nuggets.
Ingredients You Need
Below is an overview of the ingredients and instructions for this recipe. Don’t forget to scroll down to the recipe card below for the complete details and nutrition information!
- Chicken – We highly recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts for homemade chicken nuggets and chicken tenders. Chicken thighs don’t hold the breading or absorb the flavor of the seasonings as well.
- Veggies – Roasted red bell peppers and red onions sneak nutrients and fiber and add a hint of savory flavor. Then, Russet potatoes make the nuggets soft and fluffy.
- Cornstarch – This helps create a crisp exterior.
- Seasonings – You’ll need paprika, dried oregano, kosher salt, pepper, and fresh Italian parsley.
- Japanese Bread Crumbs – Unlike panko breadcrumbs, Japanese breadcrumbs feature steamed, crustless loaves of bread. As a result, they’re lighter and crispier than other varieties.
Skip the Fryer: Make Baked Chicken Nuggets Instead
- Combine the ingredients. Add the chicken to the bowl of a food processor. Then, add the cooked potato, red onion, and roasted peppers. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, cornstarch, and parsley on top.
- Grind the meat mixture. Pulse until the ingredients combine thoroughly.
- Shape the nuggets. Form the chicken mixture into bite-sized pieces.
- Bread the chicken nuggets. Roll each nugget in the breadcrumbs. Then, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake until the chicken cooks through and the nuggets are golden brown and crisp.
- Cool. Allow the crispy chicken nuggets to cool on a wire rack to prevent them from becoming soggy.
What To Serve with Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets
The beauty of our crispy baked chicken nuggets is that they taste SO good on their own. This is all thanks to the seasoning we include in the chicken nugget mixture!
However, chicken nuggets are also super versatile when it’s time to serve them. You can go with classic ketchup for your dip, or you can try out these dips:
- We love a solid one-to-one mixture of ketchup and mayo.
- Barbecue sauce is another classic dipping option!
- You can make your own honey mustard by combining equal parts honey, mustard, and mayo. We recommend starting with a tablespoon of each with a pinch of salt and adjusting based on your taste preferences.
- And if you are looking for something decadent, try out our delicious Romesco Sauce. We typically pair it with fried burrata, but it also takes these chicken nuggets to the next level!
Then, don’t forget to prepare a batch of french fries or crispy air fryer potato nuggets to serve with chicken nuggets.
How to store crunchy baked chicken nuggets
One thing we LOVE about these baked chicken nuggets is that they are great to make in advance!
- Store cooled chicken nuggets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
- Freeze chicken nuggets in a sealable bag for up to three months. Arrange them on a baking sheet, and freeze them until solid. Then, transfer them to a bag, and pull out as many as you need when you’re ready to eat.
- Reheat your nuggets in the oven, the microwave, or in an
air fryerbasket greased with cooking spray.
Make Ahead Option
Follow the instructions, combine the ingredients, and shape the nuggets. Then, instead of rolling them in breadcrumbs, arrange them on a baking sheet.
Freeze for three hours or until the nuggets are solid. Then, transfer them to a sealable bag, and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw frozen chicken nuggets in the fridge overnight, and roll them in breadcrumbs before baking. Then, transfer the nuggets to the oven until they’re golden and crisp!
Handheld Dinners Your Family Will Love
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Cheesy Garlic Toast
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Crispy Air Fryer Potato Nuggets
Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 1 small red onion (or 1/2 large onion)
- 1 small cooked russet potato
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup Japanese bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 2 large chicken breasts in a food processor. Next, add the cooked potato, red onion and roasted red pepper to the food processor. Sprinkle on salt, pepper, paprika, oregano and starch, and place the parsley on top.1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breasts, 1/4 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, 1 small red onion, 1 small cooked russet potato, 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- Pulse the ingredients in the food processor until they are thoroughly combined.
- Remove the chicken mixture from the food processor, and form into little nuggets. Each nugget will be about a heaping tablespoon.
- Pour the panko bread crumbs onto a plate.1 cup Japanese bread crumbs
- Roll the raw chicken nuggets in the panko bread crumbs and place on a baking sheet.
- Pop the chicken nuggets in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through!
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite condiments!