Skillet Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1/4 th cup butter
- 1/4 th cup flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup whole milk (warmed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 7 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions, make sure to leave it slightly al dente.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add 1/4 cup butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour. Cook 1 minute whisking, until it is bubbly.
- Slowly stir in the cream and milk. Whisk until it thickens. Add salt, pepper, ground mustard, garlic powder and paprika. Stir just until combined.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Stir cooked pasta into the sauce.
- Remove half of the macaroni.
- Add cheese slices.
- Pour the mac and cheese back on top and spread.
- In a small bowl, stir melted butter and bread crumbs. Spread the mixture on top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden and bubbly!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!