This Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe takes standard Rice Krispie Treats to the next level with creamy peanut butter, fluffy marshmallows, and more! Every bite is bursting with sweet and salty flavors you won’t be able to resist.
Loaded Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
This recipe has all the standard ingredients you would expect in a Rice Krispie Treat, along with a few additions that take it from good to great! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Rice Cereal – We stick with name-brand Rice Krispie cereal, but any rice crisp cereal you have on hand is fine. You could even experiment and switch it up with a different cereal for a little added taste and texture!
- Butter – We recommend unsalted butter for these peanut butter rice Krispie treats. There is already plenty of salt from the peanut butter!
- Peanut Butter – Feel free to use your favorite brand of peanut butter for these. However, we do recommend sticking with the creamy version.
- Marshmallows & Marshmallow Fluff – This binds the cereal together and provides the sweet notes you’ll need to balance out the saltiness of the peanut butter.
- Cookies & Candy – Not typically found in Rice Krispie treats, the addition of peanut butter cups, Nutter Butter cookies, and Peanut M&Ms packs each bite with tons of flavor, creating an out-of-this-world sweet!
Optional Add-Ins and Flavor Variations
Honestly, this Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe is already full of flavor. However, feel free to experiment with any additions or substitutes you’d like to make! Some of our favorites include:
- Chocolate Chips – Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven. So it’s a no-brainer to add a handful of chocolate chips to your treats.
- Peanut Butter Chips – You can never have too much peanut butter, right?! For an extra nutty flavor and a little extra texture mix in a few peanut butter chips.
- Sprinkles – Add tons of colors and a bit of extra crunch with your favorite sprinkles.
- Dried Fruit – Include your favorite fruit like strawberries, blueberries, or raisins for some added nutrients, a chewy texture, and amazing taste!
- Chopped Nuts – Capitalize on the salty flavor we all love by adding in a handful of your favorite chopped nuts!
How to Make this Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Simple to make, these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are pretty much failproof. However, you’ll want to be sure to follow the steps below!
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the marshmallows, and add the peanut butter once they’re fully melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add the cereal.
- Add more marshmallows, and quickly stir to combine.
- Spread half the mixture in a greased baking pan.
- Smooth marshmallow fluff on top followed by peanut butter cups and nutter butter cookies.
- Top with the rest of the Rice Krispie mixture.
- Press M&Ms into the top.
- Cool, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are my Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats so hard?
The most common reason for your peanut butter rice Krispie treats being hard is high heat. When mixing your butter and marshmallows, be sure to do so on low in order to give everything plenty of time to melt without risking them burning.
What do I do if my Rice Krispie Treats aren’t sticking together?
If your treats aren’t sticking together, you may need to add more marshmallows to the mixture. Just be sure you don’t use too much butter when melting them. An excess amount of liquid will result in loose treats!
How long do these treats stay fresh?
You can store your peanut butter rice Krispie treats in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature. Or, if you want to keep them longer, store them in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
More Sweet Treats You’ll Love
Looking for more kid-friendly desserts? These options are always great!
- More than your average blondie, these Reese’s Peanut Butter Blondies are made extra sweet with a handful of Reese’s Pieces for a dessert that can’t be beat.
- Thick and chewy, this Monster Cookie Recipe is loaded with rolled oats, chocolate chips, butterscotch, and more for a sweet treat that will satisfy all your cravings!
- Chewy, gooey, and delicious, S’mores Cookies are filled with rich dark chocolate, soft marshmallows, and crumbly graham cracker pieces. They’re everything you love about s’mores in the convenience of a cookie. No campfire required.
- These Copycat Crumbl Mom’s Cookies have a little something for everyone. It’s perfect for kids and adults alike.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 5 cup rice cereal
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 6 peanut butter cups
- 8-12 mini Nutter Butter cookies
- Reese's Pieces for garnish
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium low heat. Add 10 oz mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add peanut butter and stir. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal. Stir until all the cereal in the marshmallow mixture. Add 1 cup marshmallows and stir again.
- Add half of the cereal mixture in a greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Arrange with peanut butter cups and nutter butter cookies. Top with the rest of the cereal mixture. Gently press in some Reese's Pieces. Let cool before cutting into squares.