Hazelnut chocolate crock pot candy is made with three different kinds of chocolate, rich hazelnut butter, chopped nuts, and a pinch of sea salt for an easy hazelnut candy that melts together and is ready in about an hour. Prepare it for bake sales, holidays, and more!
Ingredients You’ll Need for Crock Pot Candy
- Vanilla Bark – Commonly found in the baking section in most grocery stores, vanilla bark is made for melting and should not be replaced with a white chocolate candy bar.
- Dark Chocolate Bark – Similar to vanilla bark, chocolate bark is a type of chocolate intended for use in candies. Unlike candy bars, it is made with cocoa and sweetened condensed milk, making it extra rich and perfect for melting.
- Chocolate Chips – We used dark chocolate chips for a rich flavor, but any variety you like best will work for this crock pot candy. Just keep in mind that it will alter the taste just slightly based on what you use.
- Hazelnut Butter – Any storebought or homemade hazelnut butter will work!
- Hazelnuts – For an extra nutty flavor and crunch, we used both whole roasted hazelnuts and chopped hazelnuts. Feel free to swap out the nuts for almonds, peanuts, or anything you prefer. However, make sure that the skins are removed on whatever you choose to use.
- Sea Salt Flakes – To balance out the sweet chocolate and create a bit of extra crunch, we prefer to use Maldon sea salt. It’s a gourmet salt that has been crystallized to form larger flakes that are delicious! Technically, the salt is optional. However, it really enhances the flavor of the chocolate.
Of course, these chocolates are tasty on their own. However, feel free to experiment with extra add-ins and variations as well! To get started, take a look at some of our favorite additions below.
- Make them Holiday-Friendly. By adding festive sprinkles or molding the chocolates into fun shapes, you can easily make them perfect for all your favorite holidays!
- Add Texture. Sprinkling in a few coconut flakes adds a slightly chewy texture we love.
- Make them Nut-Free. If you’re looking for a more allergy-friendly option, replace the hazelnuts with Rice Chex or a crispy rice cereal to keep the crunch with none of the nuts.
How Do You Make Hazelnut Candy?
- Melt the ingredients by adding the chocolates, hazelnut butter, and whole hazelnuts to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for an hour. Make sure to stir several times while cooking!
- Once melted, stir the ingredients to combine.
- Then, scoop out mounds of chocolate from the crock pot. We like to use a serving spoon or cookie scoop to do this!
- Place each scoop of the crock pot candy on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- While the chocolates are still warm, sprinkle each mound with the chopped nuts and sea salt.
- Let the candy cool at room temperature to set. Or, speed up the process by placing it in the fridge instead! Once hardened, they’re ready to enjoy!
Can I Make Hazelnut Chocolate on the Stovetop?
Yes! It takes a little more work to make this hazelnut chocolate on the stovetop, but it is possible. All you have to do is add the ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat. Continue to heat, and stir occasionally until everything has melted completely. Then, stir to combine, and remove the pot from the heat. Scoop out the chocolate as you would with the crock pot version, and follow the instructions as usual adding the toppings and letting the chocolate chill.
How Long Does It Last?
When stored in an airtight container, crock pot candy will stay fresh at room temperature or in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Or, store it in the freezer for up to 18 months!
How to Freeze Crock Pot Candy
Place your chocolates in a sealable bag, and squeeze out as much excess air as possible. Then, place the bag in the freezer! To prevent the candy from sticking together, you can wrap each piece in parchment paper before freezing. Then, when you’re ready to eat, let the candy thaw in the fridge overnight or at room temperature.
More Sweet Treats You’ll Love
Looking for more ways to cure your sweet tooth? Try some of our favorite crock pot recipes below!
- Chocolatey and indulgent but made without any added sugar Slow Cooker Candy is our kids’ favorite treat!
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Covered Pretzels are sweet, salty, and completely irresistible.
- This Slow Cooker Puppy Chow is fast, easy, and super simple but rich enough to satisfy even the most wicked sweet tooth. It’s peanut-free, too!
Hazelnut Chocolate Crock Pot Candy
- 6 ounces vanilla bark
- 8 ounces dark chocolate bark
- 10 onces dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup hazelnut butter
- 2 cups whole roasted hazelnuts (skin removed)
- 2 cup roasted chopped hazelnuts
- Dash of Maldon sea salt flakes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Add the chocolate bark, chocolate chips, hazelnut butter, and whole hazelnuts to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to combine.
- Once the chocolate has melted completely, stir everything once again making sure it is evenly combined.
- Using a serving spoon or cookie scoop, spoon the chocolate mixture onto the lined baking sheet.
- While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the chopped nuts and sea salt on top.
- Let cool at room temperature, or place the chocolates in the fridge to cool and set.
- Once hardened, remove them from the baking sheet, and enjoy!
- Store at room temperature or in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.