Halloween Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make with a handful of simple ingredients and fun to decorate. They’re the perfect kid-friendly sweet treat to celebrate the spooky season!
Table of Contents
- Creepy-Cute Halloween Rice Krispie Treats: A Scarily Delicious Recipe
- The Secret Ingredients Behind Irresistible Halloween Rice Krispie Treats!
- Your Foolproof Guide to Making the Best Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- Optional Variations
- Common Questions About this Halloween Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- More Festive Halloween Treats
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treats Recipe Recipe
Creepy-Cute Halloween Rice Krispie Treats: A Scarily Delicious Recipe
Get ready to transform your Halloween celebrations into a treat-filled extravaganza with the irresistible charm of Halloween Rice Krispie Treats! When the crisp autumn air arrives and jack-o’-lanterns start to glow, it’s the perfect time to gather in the kitchen and conjure up these sweet, spooky delights.
For this recipe, we took classic Rice Krispie treats, amplified their flavor with nutty brown butter and extra marshmallows, and made them even more delicious with festive toppings! So easy even the kids can make them, they’re perfect for all your holiday needs.
The Secret Ingredients Behind Irresistible Halloween Rice Krispie Treats!
Less than ten ingredients are all you need to create gourmet-looking treats that are fun to make and even tastier than anything you’ll find in the store!
- Unsalted Butter – This creates a rich base of flavor and adds moisture, helping the treats stick together.
- Jumbo Marshmallows – These melt down to form a “glue” and hold the cereal together.
- Small Marshmallows – This is our secret to creating the best rice krispie treats ever! Folded in at the last minute, they hold their shape and create little pockets of ooey gooey heaven in each bite.
- Rice Krispies Cereal – We use namebrand cereal, but any plain rice cereal will work. Or, swap out any other cereal you like best.
- Paper Straws – Not exactly food, these act as handles making the treats easy to decorate and serve. Plus, buying Halloween-themed straws is an easy way to make your rice krispie treats even more festive and fun!
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips are melted until smooth and used to coat each square. Dark chocolate or white chocolate will also work.
- Sprinkles – Use Halloween-themed sprinkles to add a pop of color or create faces and fun designs!
Your Foolproof Guide to Making the Best Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe follows the basic instructions of traditional rice krispie treats with just a few twists for even more flavor that no one can resist!
- Prepare. Before you begin, line a baking dish with
parchment paper, letting some hang over the edges for easy removal later.
- Brown the Butter. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until it turns golden brown in color and has a nutty aroma. Be careful not to let it burn! Remove the butter from the heat.
- Melt the Marshmallows. Add the jumbo marshmallows to the butter, and place it back on the stovetop over low heat. Cook, stirring continuously until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Add the Cereal. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and quickly stir in the Rice Krispies cereal, mixing until it is evenly coated.
- Add More Marshmallows. Gently fold in the extra marshmallows.
- Transfer. Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish, and use a greased spatula or your hands to gently press the mixture into the pan. It should be firm but not super compact or hard!
- Cut. Allow the treats to cool and set. Then, slice them into squares, and insert a paper straw into the bottom of each piece.
- Decorate. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Then, drizzle it over the treats, or dunk them in! Next, add your favorite toppings, and set the treats aside to harden before serving.
Once you have the base of the squares down, the options for decorating are endless! Let your imagination go crazy and have fun with a variety of mix-ins and toppings.
- Add Color. Add food dye to the melted marshmallows to create colorful treats.
- Include Mix-ins. Fold in extra ingredients like your favorite candy pieces, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, and candy corn.
- Make Faces. Use candy eyes, or draw faces with icing for spooky snacks.
- Add Arms. Shove pretzel sticks into the sides of the treats for “arms” that are fun to eat.
Common Questions About this Halloween Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Wrap each square in plastic wrap to keep them soft and fresh.
This recipe can not be prepared in advance, but it’s quick and easy to make!
These Halloween rice krispie treats will stay fresh for up to two to three days!
No, the sugar in the treats acts as a preservative, keeping them fresh. As a result, they’re best kept at room temperature!
Too much butter will create slick, soggy treats that don’t hold together very well. To prevent this, measure carefully!
More Festive Halloween Treats
Looking for more sweet treats to celebrate the spooky season? We’ve got you covered with the recipes below!
Halloween Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (10 ounces) jumbo marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup small marshmallows
- 12 paper straws
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips melted (for drizzling)
- Halloween-themed sprinkles
Prepare a Workspace:
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the sides for easy removal.
Brown the Butter:
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Continue to cook the butter, stirring frequently, until it turns a golden brown color and has a nutty aroma. Be careful not to let it burn. Remove from heat.1 stick
Melt the Jumbo Marshmallows:
- Add the jumbo marshmallows to the browned butter in the saucepan. Return the saucepan to low heat and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth.1 bag
Combine with Rice Krispies:
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and quickly stir in the 8 cups of Rice Krispies cereal. Mix until all the cereal is evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.8 cups Rice Krispies cereal, 1 cup small marshmallows
Add Small Marshmallows:
- Gently fold in the 1 cup of small marshmallows into the Rice Krispie mixture. This will create pockets of marshmallow goodness in the treats.
Press into Baking Dish:
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Use a greased spatula or your hands (lightly coated with butter or cooking spray) to press the mixture evenly into the pan. Be sure to press it firmly, but don’t compact it too much.
Set and Cut:
- Allow the Rice Krispie mixture to cool and set for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will make it easier to cut into squares.
- Once the mixture has set, cut it into squares. Insert a paper straw into the bottom of each square. The straws will serve as handles for your Rice Krispie treats.12 paper straws
- Melt the semisweet chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second intervals, stirring between each interval until smooth. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of each Rice Krispie treat.1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Add Sprinkles: – While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle Halloween-themed sprinkles over the top of the treats for a festive touch.Halloween-themed sprinkles
Final Set and Enjoy:
- Allow the chocolate drizzle to set, which should take about 15-20 minutes. Once set, the Halloween Rice Krispie treats are ready to enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.