Even better than classic Rice Krispie treats, these Oreo Rice Krispie Treats are packed full of sticky marshmallows, marshmallow fluff, Oreo cookies, and cookies and cream chocolate. Thick and crispy, they transport your tastebuds to heaven with every bite.
When it comes to dessert, we love everything sweet. However, if we’re being honest, most of the time we find ourselves reaching for anything chocolatey. The one exception is when it comes to homemade Rice Krispie treats! A favorite childhood recipe, there’s just something so nostalgic about it that we can never say no. However, that doesn’t mean that we can’t jazz up our mom’s version a bit for an extra special recipe! So, we raided our kitchens for all our favorite mix-ins and created the most incredible Oreo Rice Krispie Treats recipe! It’s:
- Absolutely bursting with chocolate chunks and Oreo pieces in every bite.
- Ready in a matter of minutes.
- Crispy, crunchy, and oh so sweet.
- Perfect for after-school snacks, packed lunches, and everything in between.
Honestly, it’s so good you’re going to want to make a double batch and keep on all to yourself!
Sweet Ingredients You’ll Need
Of course, for this recipe, we started with the standard base ingredients used to make Rice Krispie treats. Then, we bulked it up a bit for added flavor and a little extra crunch! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Rice Cereal – We use regular Kellog’s Rice Krispie treats, but any other similarly shaped rice cereal can be used in its place.
- Butter – Both salted and unsalted work depending on what you prefer.
- Mini Marshmallows and Marshmallow Fluff – Mini marshmallows are melted down to act as the “glue” that holds these bars together. Then, marshmallow fluff is spread on top for a creamy texture that pairs wonderfully with the crunch of the cereal.
- Hershey’s Cookies and Cream Chocolate Bar – This takes the Oreo flavor to the next level. Plus, everything’s better with chocolate, right?
- Oreo Cookies – We like regular Oreo cookies, but feel free to experiment with double-stuffed and different flavored Oreos, too.
How to Make the Best Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
We elevated standard Rice Krispie treats from a single crunchy bar to a layered dessert full of sweet flavor and a little extra crunch.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Then, add the marshmallows, and let them melt until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and quickly stir in the cereal and half of the cookies. Continue to mix until all of the ingredients are well coated with the melted marshmallows.
- Then, add half of the mixture to a greased baking sheet.
- Spread the marshmallow fluff, Oreo pieces, and chunks of the chocolate bar on top. Smooth the rest of the cereal mixture on top.
- Gently press in extra Oreo chunks.
- Let the ingredients cool and solidify. Once solid, slice the dessert into bars and serve!
Trust us, you’re going to eat this recipe right away. However, if not, you can cover the pan with tin foil or plastic wrap. Or, place the treats in an airtight container. They’ll stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Why did my Oreo Rice Krispie treats turn out hard?
If your treats turn out hard, it’s likely because the heat was too high. Keep it turned to medium or medium-low, and let the butter and marshmallows melt slowly. It may take a little longer, but it’s totally worth the wait!
Why won’t my Rice Krispie treats stick together?
This happens when there is too much moisture in the cereal mix. Most often, this happens when too much butter is used. Luckily, it’s an easy fix! Just sprinkle in more cereal until your bars begin to stick.
Is there a substitute for marshmallows?
If you run out of marshmallows or can’t eat them, you can use a combination of honey and peanut butter instead. Your Oreo Rice Krispie treats will taste a bit different. Yet, they’ll stick together and still be tasty and sweet.
More Oreo-Filled Recipes
Their milk’s favorite cookie but also great for special dessert recipes! If you’re an Oreo fan like us, you won’t want to miss out on these recipes.
- Rich and creamy, this delectable Oreo Tiramisu is the dessert of our dreams.
- This No-Bake Oreo Pie Recipe is the best dessert you’ll ever taste just layer all the ingredients, and you’re good to go!
- Part brownie, part cookie, and loaded with Oreos, these Oreo Brookie Bars are guaranteed to satisfy all your cravings.
- This Cookies and Cream Mug Cake is a single-serving dessert you can make in minutes with the help of the microwave.
Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 10 crushed Oreo cookies (divided )
- 6 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 1 Herhsey's Cookies and Cream chocolate bar
- Oreo cookies for garnish
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium low heat. Stir in mini marshmallows, and continue to cook until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Working quickly, add in half of the Oreo cookies and the rice cereal. Stir until the ingredients are well coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add half of the cereal mixture in a greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Spread the marshmallow fluff, and scatter pieces of the Hershey's chocolate bar, and the remaining Oreo cookies on top.
- Layer the rest of the cereal mixture on top of the ingredients, spreading out until smooth. Gently press Oreo chunks into the top of the treats.
- Let cool at room temperature to solidify. Then, slice, and serve!