Ditch the takeout and bring the Mediterranean flavors to your kitchen with this easy Feta Gyro Pizza Recipe! Featuring creamy whipped feta and savory gyro meat, this homemade pizza bakes in the oven in minutes. It’s a flavor-loaded meal that promises to be a hit with the whole family.
Table of Contents
The Perfect Pizza: Why You’ll Love This Feta Gyro Pizza Recipe
Pizza is our go-to meal when we don’t know what to make, are feeding a crowd, or just need something everyone can agree on. Our love for takeout is real but let’s face it – the ingredients and the hit on the budget aren’t always the best.
As a result, we often find ourselves making homemade pizza recipes at home, and this gyro pizza might be our favorite version yet! Inspired by bold Greek flavors, it:
- Uses just seven ingredients.
- Is easy to make thanks to the use of pre-made pizza dough.
- Bakes in less time than it takes to order delivery.
- Features a creamy, whipped feta base that will leave all your guests coming back for more.
What Is a Gyro?
Gyro is a type of Greek dish that features gyro meat that is served in a pita or as part of a platter with fresh veggies and tzatziki. Not to be confused with Middle Eastern shawarma, traditional gyro meat is made with pork that has been seasoned with herbaceous Greek seasonings like rosemary, oregano, and thyme and cooked vertically on a slow pit.
A popular street food, it has exploded in popularity and can now be found in many variations across the world.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Unlike your standard Italian pizza, there’s no marinara in this recipe! We’re shaking things up with a white sauce topping that embraces the Greek influence in our Feta Gyro Pizza Recipe. Here are the key ingredients you’ll need for this Mediterranean masterpiece:
- Feta Cheese – Full-fat feta cheese works best for the base as it has a stronger flavor and creamier consistency.
- Sour Cream – This helps blend the feta, adding a satisfying tang.
- Pizza Dough – To save time and prevent a mess, we use pre-made pizza dough. However, feel free to make your own homemade pizza dough instead!
- Gyro Meat – Find gyro meat at a local ethnic store, or make homemade gyro meat, and shred it to pieces before adding it to the pizza.
- Olives – We love the tangy flavor of Kalamata olives! However, if you aren’t a fan, feel free to omit them completely.
- Cheese – You can never have too much cheese, right? Extra shredded Mozzarella is sprinkled on top for the finishing touch. We recommend using freshly shredded Mozzarella. Pre-shredded varieties contain preservatives that prevent them from melting as well.
The beauty of pizza lies in its endless flavor possibilities! Make this Feta Gyro Pizza Recipe your own by mixing and matching different ingredients. Here’s a taste of some favorite additions and variations to spark your pizza creativity:
- Veggies (mushrooms, red onions, yellow onions, spinach, asparagus)
- Fresh Herbs (fresh oregano, fresh parsley, fresh rosemary, fresh basil, fresh thyme)
- Meat (shredded chicken, beef kofta, turkey pepperoni)
- Spices (garlic powder, onion powder, Greek seasoning, red pepper flakes)
How to Make the Best Homemade Gyro Pizza
This recipe is a great way to get everyone involved in the kitchen adding their favorite toppings! Here’s what to do:
- Create the Whipped Feta. Add the feta cheese, sour cream, and water to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth, adding water as needed until a smooth, creamy consistency is achieved.
- Add the Toppings. Place the pizza dough on a greased baking sheet or a pizza stone. Spread the whipped feta mixture on top, spreading it out evenly, leaving a small border for the crust. Then, sprinkle the meat on top followed by the olives and cheese.
- Bake. Place the pizza in a preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Enjoy! Allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes before using a pizza slicer to slice pieces, and dig in while it’s warm!
Common Questions About This Gyro Pizza Recipe
This homemade gyro pizza is best served right away while it’s still warm. However, if you have leftovers, transfer them to an airtight container, or wrap them in aluminum foil. They will stay fresh in the fridge for two to three days.
Believe it or not, gyro meat is usually pretty easy to find in the ethnic or frozen sections of your local grocery store!
Ladenia Kimolou is the name of the first pizza made by the Greek people of the Kimolos Island. A simple baked flatbread, it contained vegan, vegetable toppings for a simple yet delicious meal that is still enjoyed today!
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
Ready to bring more pizza-inspired goodness to your kitchen? Explore the family-friendly recipes below!
Feta Gyro Pizza Recipe
- 3/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Pre-made pizza dough
- Gyro meat shredded, to taste
- Kalamata olives pitted and sliced, to taste
- Mozzarella cheese shredded, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- In a blender or food processor, combine the crumbled feta cheese, sour cream, and water. Blend until a smooth, creamy consistency is achieved.3/4 cup feta cheese, 1 cup sour cream, 2 Tablespoons water
- Place the pizza dough on a greased baking sheet or a pizza stone, and spread the whipped feta mixture evenly on top, leaving a small border around the edges for the crust.1 Pre-made pizza dough
- Sprinkle the shredded gyro meat on top followed by the Kalamata olives and shredded Mozzarella cheese.Gyro meat, Kalamata olives, Mozzarella cheese
- Place the pizza in the preheated oven, and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, and set it aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Slice, and enjoy warm!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.