This mouthwatering chicken queso dip is full of tender cooked chicken that’s cozying up with warm spices, fresh veggies, and not just one, not two, but three kinds of cheese! Rich and savory, with just the right kick of spice, it’s like a party in your mouth with every bite.
Whether you’re gearing up for game day or just having a relaxed get-together, this dip is the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Scoop up a generous dollop of this cheesy goodness with a crispy chip and this crunchy, creamy, and downright irresistible snack will have you hooked!
Table of Contents
Is Queso Just Melted Cheese?
Queso is the Spanish word for cheese of all kinds. However, queso dip as we think of it is so much more than melted cheese!
It features a base of melted cheese combined with spices, veggies, and oftentimes protein, like in this chicken queso dip recipe. As a result, it stays smooth and velvety and is absolutely amazing for dipping.
Below is an overview of the ingredients and instructions for this recipe. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for all the details!
- Chicken – This is a great way to use up leftovers! Cooked chicken breast works best, but thighs can be used if preferred.
- Seasonings – Salt, black pepper, paprika, and oregano add extra savoriness and a touch of heat.
- Garlic – Use fresh cloves over pre-minced varieties. You really can taste a difference!
- Cheese – Velveeta cheese, pepper jack cheese, and cream cheese combine to make the richest, creamiest chicken queso dip you’ll ever taste! Use full-fat varieties for the best taste and texture.
- Jalapeño – Adjust to taste, depending on your spice preferences.
- Cilantro – This adds a refreshing, slightly peppery taste.
- Red Onion – Chop the onion finely for a bit of crunch and a tangy taste in every bite.
- Diced Tomatoes with Chilis – You can typically find this in the canned veggie section or Mexican section of your local grocery store.
- Evaporated Milk – This thins out the cheese sauce without watering down the flavor, making it perfect for drizzling and dipping!
Spice Up Game Day with the Best Chicken Queso Dip
- Season. Toss the cooked chicken with the seasonings.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the Velveeta, pepper jack, and cream cheese to a baking dish. Then, stir in the seasoned chicken, jalapeño, cilantro, red onion, and diced tomatoes.
- Bake. Drizzle the evaporated milk on top. Then, bake uncovered until the cheese is melted, and stir to combine. Enjoy warm!
Tips and Tricks
- Use rotisserie chicken. Save time, and shred rotisserie chicken instead of cooking chicken breasts! The dip is just as tasty and even faster to make.
- Adjust the heat. Feel free to add more jalapeños for more spice. Or, if you prefer your dip on the mild side, make sure to remove the seeds and membranes. You can even omit the peppers completely.
- Keep it warm. If you’re serving your dip for a party, transfer it to a slow cooker set to “warm”. This will keep it liquid and hot without the need to hover over the stove.
Can I Make This Recipe in the Slow Cooker?
Sure! Just combine everything in a crockpot, cover, and cook until the cheese is melty. Be sure to give it a good stir before serving!
We love to pair this steaming hot bowl of cheesy goodness with a side of crunchy tortilla chips for dipping. However, you can also team it up with crackers, pretzels, pita chips, pita bread, or even veggie sticks!
Can I Make Chicken Queso Dip Ahead of Time?
This recipe is best served right away. However, if you have leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three to four days.
Reheat your dip in the microwave or a pot on the stove over medium heat. Add a splash of evaporated milk to loosen it back up, and stir to combine.
More Dip Recipes
- Marinated Tomatoes and Feta Dip
- 7 Layer Greek Dip
- Eggplant Dip (Baba Ganoush)
- Crockpot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Chicken Queso Dip
- 1 large chicken breast cooked and shredded (can use rotisserie)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces cubed Velveeta cheese
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 large jalapeño chopped and seeded for less spice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with chilis
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- Chips for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss the chicken with the salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and oregano.1 large chicken breast, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon oregano
- In a 13×9 baking dish, add the Velveeta cheese, pepper jack cheese, cram cheese, chicken, jalapeño, cilantro, red onion, and diced tomatoes.8 ounces cubed Velveeta cheese, 6 ounces pepper jack cheese, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 large jalapeño, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 1/2 cup red onion, 14 ounces diced tomatoes with chilis
- Drizzle the evaporated milk on top.6 ounces evaporated milk
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips for dipping, if desired.Chips for serving
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.