This Chickpea Chicken Salad is a fun Middle Eastern take on classic chicken salad. Made with tender chunks of chicken, chickpeas, fresh veggies, creamy hummus, and bold flavors, it’s the perfect make-ahead recipe. Serve it in pita bread, on crackers, or with veggies for a satisfying meal!
Table of Contents
While we didn’t grow up eating classic American chicken salad, we understand the appeal. Easy to make and perfect for stuffing in sandwiches or spreading on crackers, it’s the ultimate warm-weather recipe. So, we decided to try it out, with a Middle Eastern twist, of course!
We took standard chicken salad and enhanced it with warm herbs and spices, creamy hummus, and satisfying chickpeas. The end result is an explosion of tastes and textures guaranteed to satisfy your tastebuds. Great for
Why You’ll Love This Chickpea Chicken Salad
- This recipe is loaded with protein, healthy fats, vitamins, nutrients, and fiber.
- It’s quick and easy to make.
You can make a big batch to store and eat throughout the week.
- Super versatile, it can be served with pita bread, crackers, veggie sticks, salads, and more.
What’s In It?
We include an abundance of ingredients in this easy Chickpea Chicken Salad for a variety of tastes and textures. They’re all simple and easy to find, though! Here’s what you need:
- Chicken – This forms the base of the recipe. We use chopped cooked chicken breast, but rotisserie chicken works great, too.
- Chickpeas – Drained and rinsed, these add lots of texture, fiber, and plant-based protein.
- Veggies – Red bell pepper and green onions add a pop of color and a bit of crunch along with extra vitamins, nutrients, and fiber to keep you full.
- Olives – Kalamata and Manzanilla olives add a briny flavor we love. Plus, they’re packed full of healthy fats!
- Hummus – We use our healthy chickpea hummus as a creamy dressing to replace the mayo found in standard chicken salad dishes. However, to save time, store-bought options can be substituted.
- Mustard – This helps coat the ingredients and adds a satisfying, tangy taste.
- Flavor Enhancers – Dried oregano, salt, black pepper, fresh lime juice, and fresh cilantro are included to add extra depth and a warm yet refreshing Middle Eastern flair.
- Almonds – Toasted almonds are sprinkled on top for extra healthy fats and crunch.
How to Make Easy Chickpea Chicken Salad
Once you have all the ingredients gathered, this recipe comes together in just a few minutes! Here’s what to do:
- Form the Base. Add the chicken and chickpeas to a large bowl followed by the chopped olives, red bell pepper, and green onions. Gently toss to combine.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. Mix in the remaining ingredients until everything is completely coated and the ingredients are well distributed.
- Garnish and Serve. Sprinkle toasted almonds on top, and enjoy!
This Chickpea Chicken Salad is packed full of ingredients as it is, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add more! Experiment with different flavor combinations and ingredients to make this recipe your own. For example, some of our favorite variations include:
- Mash the Chickpeas. We leave the chickpeas whole. However, for a slightly creamier texture, you can mash them before adding them to the mixture.
- Add Avocado. For an extra creamy consistency, incorporate chunks of avocado.
- Include Fruit. Dried cranberries or cherries, sliced grapes, or chopped apples is a great way to add a hint of sweetness. You might want to adjust the rest of the ingredients if you add fruit, though.
- Use Cheese. A sprinkle of feta or goat cheese is an excellent way to take the flavor up a notch.
- Play with Seasonings. Feel free to mix and match different herbs and spices to amp up the flavor profile. Or, add a bit of spice with red pepper flakes, paprika, or hot sauce!
Serve this recipe all the same ways you would standard chicken salad! Some options include:
- In Pita or Sandwich Bread – Stuff this mixture into pita bread or your favorite sandwich bread for a savory chickpea chicken salad sandwich.
- In a Wrap – Similar to sandwiches, tortillas make for a great way to wrap up and hold all your chickpea chicken salad fillings.
- In Lettuce Cups – Stuff the mixture into large lettuce leaves for a low-carb wrap.
- On Crackers – Turn this recipe into a dip with your favorite crackers.
- With Veggie Sticks – Continuing on with the dipping theme, veggie sticks make for a great low-carb option that’s fun to eat.
- Over Greens – Add a big dollop of the salad mixture to a bed of mixed greens for a hearty salad.
How to Store
This Chickpea Chicken Salad makes for a great
For the best results, we highly recommend keeping your salad separate from the pita or whatever you plan on serving it with. This prevents it from becoming soggy. Plus, all the hard work is already done. All you have to do is combine your ingredients, and enjoy!
Common Questions About Chickpea Chicken Salad
Sure! Omit the chicken to make this recipe vegan. It’ll still be full of protein thanks to the chickpeas.
Yes, you can eat any beans including chickpeas straight from the can. However, we recommend draining and rinsing them first. The liquid can cause your chickpea chicken salad to become soggy and tends to have a salty taste.
No! They’re the same thing. The names are used interchangeably depending on where you are in the world. Garbanzo is a Spanish-derived name. Meanwhile, the word chickpea comes from the Latin word cicer which refers to the entire legume family.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Looking for more tasty chicken recipes to
- Quick Couscous Salad with Chicken
- Meal Prep Chipotle Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Salad
- Asian Chicken Bowls
Chickpea Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 ¼ cups chicken breast cooked and chopped (can sub with rotisserie chicken)
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives chopped
- 1/4 cup Manzanilla olives chopped
- 1 red bell pepper ~ 3/4 cup, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup slivered toasted almonds
- In a large bowl, add the cooked chicken, chickpeas, olives, bell pepper, cilantro, and green onions. Toss to combine.
- Add the hummus, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, lime juice, and oregano. Toss again until the ingredients are well combined and the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.
- Serve in pita bread or lettuce cups for a low-carb option
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.